• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The worst thing about grading comics.....

7 posts in this topic

I've spent the last 2 days going through and grading Silver & Bronze age comics, mostly Marvel.

I take a pile, I photograph each one, then I grade them and write down on a pad the grade while looking up the price in the recent OSPG guide.

The thing is, I'm flicking through the pages and, it happens!! I start reading them. doh!

Just an hour ago it took me half hour to grade a few books because I started reading the damn things lol, Captain America where Modoks origin is shown, that caught my attention. The Beast run on Amazing Adventures, I read them all.....

Great reading material that I hadn't read before from the 70s, but damnit the time just flies by and I've got another 300 to go!

Anyone else get sucked into reading the books while grading?

I'm undergrading them too, its better to undergrade then over... I've been on the wrong side of over grading before from dealers, not a happy experience!

I've spent the last 2 days going through and grading Silver & Bronze age comics, mostly Marvel.

I take a pile, I photograph each one, then I grade them and write down on a pad the grade while looking up the price in the recent OSPG guide.

The thing is, I'm flicking through the pages and, it happens!! I start reading them. doh!

Just an hour ago it took me half hour to grade a few books because I started reading the damn things lol, Captain America where Modoks origin is shown, that caught my attention. The Beast run on Amazing Adventures, I read them all.....

Great reading material that I hadn't read before from the 70s, but damnit the time just flies by and I've got another 300 to go!

I know the feeling, I've got about six boxes of bronze age stuff to go through and grade but every time I make a start I spend hours just reading. Thinking of taking a day or two of work to get it sorted...

Always better to under-grade in my book. The problem with grading in my opinion is that it's subjective and as we are all human instead of machines you'll never get a 100% consensus on every book. One man's 8.0 is another mans 8.5!

That being said the majority of the well known UK dealers seem to overgrade somewhat!

Cheers

PCC

Nothing to worry about as everybody ends up doing this when they are grading.

Even with the pros which accounts for the slow CGC turnaround times! lol

:jokealert: