• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What The Hell Is Going On?

485 posts in this topic

At the risk of making things worse, and I apologize for that right now, can somebody please tell me what the hell is going on in here?

MutantKeys is MIA, JJ breezes through on occasion, Jerel got out of Locke and Key, pirate has been gone a couple of weeks, and when any of the usual suspects do show up, it starts some kind of secret fight.

I know we're not all going to get along all the time, I'm proof of that, but lately it seems like none of us can get along any of the time. I really hate that, too.

I've said before that CGC SS is what kept me in comics. It's fun to track down creators and celebrities (and in my case track someone down that will be close by) and get books signed. Sure, it's not the same as getting to meet these people, but it is cool and it has been fun putting together a big collection of CGC SS books and sketches and I want to thank everyone that has helped me along the way, including thecollector and NYComics.

That being said, can we all bury the hatchet? Please? I'll even go first.

Kris, I still think what you did was wrong, but what I've done since is wrong too and I'm going to let it go. I'm sorry.

NYComics, guys, I don't know what it is that I've done, but I'm sorry. No harm was ever intended and was completely accidental.

Par2ch and I are on good terms again, and I want to keep it that way. I'm sorry I blew up way back when.

These boards in general and this forum in particular have been something of a refuge for me over the past few years and I want that back. I want to encourage others and be encouraged on our findings and efforts. I want to help people find items they are looking for and get that in return. I want to be jealous of sketches and sigs and inspire a little jealousy myself from time to time.

I know that this a business and an income to several of you and occasionally toes will get stepped on, that's the nature of business. A lot of businesses can get pretty cut-throat but I really don't want to see that in this business.

We're a small group and even if we don't actually know each other, we all know of each other and clearly have a particular passion for a niche in this hobby. Wouldn't if be more fun and productive if we all got along?

:foryou:

I haven't actually met anyone (thatI know of) that frequents the Signature Room that I know of with the exception of Chandler & Sharon from DWC who I had the chance to meet at C2E2 this year.

I have noticed several regulars missing from the boards for a while now too. I chalked it up to everyone being busy since convention season is in full swing.

From the time I got here a couple of years ago I feel fortunate to have had some dealings with some great people who have helped me expand my SS collection. Without their help I wouldn't have half of the book I do and I would like to thank them all again. (thumbs u

I think it's very unfortunate that there's been so much disagreement as of late. Not all of it has been aired publicly but is detectable by responses to posts I've read.

On several occasions this past year I've seen books in either the Infinite Signature thread or offered for sale from opps that would've been great to get in on but seem for whatever reason were kept private amongst certain members. This by itself sets a drastically different tone to the boards in general to me from how things were when I first joined and bums me out a little. Upon first logging in it seemed like just about everyone was willing to help each other out, now... not so much.

Perhaps with a little time and luck things will get back to where they were but who knows. (shrug)

I cheated on my second quiz for Western Civ II back in college and I stole a snickers bar from my Old man Johnson back in 5th grade....

I feel so much better now that I got that off my chest

The one thing that most people have in common is a love of the program and a genuine love of having creators and celebs sign and remark comics mags and other pop culture items.

What people have radically different points of view on are the mechanics of the program, all manner of private and/or exclusive signings, and the business of the Yellow label.

Tempers flare, factions war and world keeps turning. Everyone is not going to get in on everything, and wishing isn't going to make it so. My advice is to collect what you love and help out when you can, and good things will follow.

On several occasions this past year I've seen books in either the Infinite Signature thread or offered for sale from opps that would've been great to get in on but seem for whatever reason were kept private amongst certain members. This by itself sets a drastically different tone to the boards in general to me from how things were when I first joined and bums me out a little.

I know what you mean here. There haven't been many secret signings but it does get frustrating. I've been in on some and missed out on others, regardless, it does change the mood here. Sometimes the signings are limited by the signer and there's no getting around it. Others get taken up within the secret circle where some members get several done. That's where I have an issue, but again, it's up to the facilitator, so there's not much to be done.

The one thing that most people have in common is a love of the program and a genuine love of having creators and celebs sign and remark comics mags and other pop culture items.

What people have radically different points of view on are the mechanics of the program, all manner of private and/or exclusive signings, and the business of the Yellow label.

Tempers flare, factions war and world keeps turning. Everyone is not going to get in on everything, and wishing isn't going to make it so. My advice is to collect what you love and help out when you can, and good things will follow.

I completely agree.

it does get frustrating. it does change the mood here.

Others get taken up within the secret circle where some members get several done.

That's where I have an issue, but again, it's up to the facilitator, so there's not much to be done.

lol That hatchet stayed buried for 35 minutes.

Others get taken up within the secret circle where some members get several done.

That's where I have an issue, but again, it's up to the facilitator, so there's not much to be done.

Let me get this right,

I, as an individual, get a hold of a creator who agrees to do several sketch covers for me. I then in return get a hold of my closest boardie friends and offer then a piece of the pie. And you have an issue with that???

Soo I'm supposed to think "What if Johnnie B wants a sketch cover?"

:whatev:

Well said! :applause:

If I could add a couple of things, though, it would be that the facilitators/CAWs might keep their disagreements in the "Thunderdome" or whatever the secret forum is. When it bleeds over to this forum, it seems to get really ugly really quick, causing the factions to war which hurts us all.

Also, it seems that most of the facilitators/CAWs pretty much help each other out when they can. Sometimes the favors are returned, but I get the feeling that lately they have not been. This is an assumption on my part and it comes from what has bled over to this forum. I don't get to help out much, but I will do whatever I can. Keeping up the "Appearances" thread is my way of trying to give back some since I don't get to go to shows or other events. It's not much, but it's what I can do.

None of us are doing this alone!

Let me get this right,

I, as an individual, get a hold of a creator who agrees to do several sketch covers for me. I then in return get a hold of my closest boardie friends and offer then a piece of the pie. And you have an issue with that???

Are you talking to Doug or to me?

First and foremost, this is in no way, shape or form meant as a shot at anyone so please don't construe it that way.

It always seems that the private/exclusive signings being referred to only include certain members. As a way to alleviate some of the feeling of being excluded (and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way) maybe whoever sets something like this up could PM one or two of the Sig Room regulars that aren't involved and offer a spot to see if it's an opp they're interested in. If the person(s) decline the spot(s) could be offered to another member or things could proceed without them. Clearly not everyone will be interested in every opp that comes along but IMO it would be a really good way to help build (rebuild?) a stronger sense of community amongst the SS collectors here on the boards.

I'm going disagree here. Private signings are just that..private. Maybe something can't be posted because the creator won't allow large number of signatures. Or simply because it's always easier to ask your friends, who you know and trust, rather than a boardie whom you've never met.

However, I tried the "friend" method with a Facilitator who promised me a certain book...and because I wasn't a TOP TIER customer, I was never included.

That being said, always remember who you can count on and go to, to get things done, privately or publicly.

Let me get this right,

No, that's not what was meant.

I'm saying you get a sketch opp set up and you get your closest friends in on it and one of them may take up two, three, or four spots and then tries to sell them off far above the original asking price. That's frustrating to other boardies and I would imagine frustrating to the artist offering the opp as well.

I'm all for taking care of your friends, I've done it and been included occasionally as well. I'm also all for selling items too as they are the seller's property, but to take an opp that may or may not have been a secret and then selling the items to other members at a high markup feels like some are taking advantage.

Nothing I can do will change that, but I'm saying it does cause hard feelings at times.