• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What The Hell Is Going On?

485 posts in this topic

The one thing that most people have in common is a love of the program and a genuine love of having creators and celebs sign and remark comics mags and other pop culture items.

What people have radically different points of view on are the mechanics of the program, all manner of private and/or exclusive signings, and the business of the Yellow label.

Tempers flare, factions war and world keeps turning. Everyone is not going to get in on everything, and wishing isn't going to make it so. My advice is to collect what you love and help out when you can, and good things will follow.

First and foremost, this is in no way, shape or form meant as a shot at anyone so please don't construe it that way.

It always seems that the private/exclusive signings being referred to only include certain members. As a way to alleviate some of the feeling of being excluded (and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way) maybe whoever sets something like this up could PM one or two of the Sig Room regulars that aren't involved and offer a spot to see if it's an opp they're interested in. If the person(s) decline the spot(s) could be offered to another member or things could proceed without them. Clearly not everyone will be interested in every opp that comes along but IMO it would be a really good way to help build (rebuild?) a stronger sense of community amongst the SS collectors here on the boards.

BK offered up 10 Platt spots to the Boards and that was one of the toughest private signings of all time. And he didn't gouge anyone to make money off it himself. I wonder what that is going to get him in the court of public opinion. I haven't heard a whole lot of "atta boy" on here about that. Maybe there was some that I missed. Maybe it will counteract the Kieth backlash that he took.

When people expend their own time, money, relationships and resources to make these things happen, isn't it reasonable that they reap at least most of the benefit? I would love for AlwaysBronze to sell me a couple of his Byrne books for what it cost him to get them. I love Byrne and I love SS, so shouldn't he be a stand up guy and do me a solid? That sounds ridiculous to even type that. But apparently, when the signing is happening now, there are a lot of people who believe that their love of the creator entitles them to get in at cost.

Personally, I think it is the best time ever for SS because people are reaching out and getting things done that seemed impossible. I would have loved to get in on Adonis' Sears sketch opp. My behavior toward Adonis over the years pretty much took care of that. But he is having a public signing that will be awesome to get in on. I am not much for the theory of entitlement, but I get in on a lot of stuff, so my perpsective is what it is.

I'm going disagree here. Private signings are just that..private. Maybe something can't be posted because the creator won't allow large number of signatures. Or simply because it's always easier to ask your friends, who you know and trust, rather than a boardie whom you've never met.

However, I tried the "friend" method with a Facilitator who promised me a certain book...and because I wasn't a TOP TIER customer, I was never included.

That being said, always remember who you can count on and go to, to get things done, privately or publicly.

That's fair on all counts.

I've been excluded on the friend method as well for the same reason by a couple of facilitators. I would imagine that they see the "top tier" customers as their friends and took care of them first. By doing so, they may have ran out of slots.

Having been promised makes it a bit different, but the deal still leads to feelings of exclusion and elitism, right? Did some get several done and now you're going to have to pay through the nose? A profit is fine, we're all trying to get the next great item for our collection, but multiples of original asking price, like I said, can get frustrating. There's still nothing I can do about it but get over it and move on.

And I "get" not knowing who can be trusted. I'm making an effort to assume that everyone on here can be until proven otherwise from this point forward. But I also don't want my bad experience with a member to taint them for you, so unless I suspect a pattern or it's a large amount of money, I'll remain silent.

I know who gets things done for me, but even they have a bad day or bad convention or may be limited in what they can do. That doesn't mean I'll stop using them from that point forward (anymore).

For the record I have no idea what all of this drama is about.

I hate all of you just for the taste of it.

Don't make me get your command and tell them that you're on military time ;)

BK offered up 10 Platt spots to the Boards and that was one of the toughest private signings of all time. And he didn't gouge anyone to make money off it himself. I wonder what that is going to get him in the court of public opinion. I haven't heard a whole lot of "atta boy" on here about that. Maybe there was some that I missed. Maybe it will counteract the Kieth backlash that he took.

The Platt opp was a fantastic deal! I was in on it but couldn't raise the cash. With Brian's blessing, I gave my slot to one of my friends at the last moment so the deal wouldn't fall short and someone else could appreciate it.

BK has aways been good to me, so even though I missed out on the Kieth deal, I've got no complaints. No backlash here!

He made a public offer with "X" number of spots and they were filled fairly. How could he come up short in the court of public opinion?

This is what I'm talking about!

What happened to this kind of banter? We used to be able to dog each other a little and no harm was done!

Let's all try to relax and have some fun!

The one thing that most people have in common is a love of the program and a genuine love of having creators and celebs sign and remark comics mags and other pop culture items.

What people have radically different points of view on are the mechanics of the program, all manner of private and/or exclusive signings, and the business of the Yellow label.

Tempers flare, factions war and world keeps turning. Everyone is not going to get in on everything, and wishing isn't going to make it so. My advice is to collect what you love and help out when you can, and good things will follow.

First and foremost, this is in no way, shape or form meant as a shot at anyone so please don't construe it that way.

It always seems that the private/exclusive signings being referred to only include certain members. As a way to alleviate some of the feeling of being excluded (and I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way) maybe whoever sets something like this up could PM one or two of the Sig Room regulars that aren't involved and offer a spot to see if it's an opp they're interested in. If the person(s) decline the spot(s) could be offered to another member or things could proceed without them. Clearly not everyone will be interested in every opp that comes along but IMO it would be a really good way to help build (rebuild?) a stronger sense of community amongst the SS collectors here on the boards.

When people expend their own time, money, relationships and resources to make these things happen, isn't it reasonable that they reap at least most of the benefit? I would love for AlwaysBronze to sell me a couple of his Byrne books for what it cost him to get them. I love Byrne and I love SS, so shouldn't he be a stand up guy and do me a solid? That sounds ridiculous to even type that. But apparently, when the signing is happening now, there are a lot of people who believe that their love of the creator entitles them to get in at cost.

Personally, I think it is the best time ever for SS because people are reaching out and getting things done that seemed impossible. I would have loved to get in on Adonis' Sears sketch opp. My behavior toward Adonis over the years pretty much took care of that. But he is having a public signing that will be awesome to get in on. I am not much for the theory of entitlement, but I get in on a lot of stuff, so my perpsective is what it is.

I never suggested there was any entitlement. Just that it would be a nice gesture that if there was a opp where the creator agrees to (as an example) 50 books, maybe one or two boardies (at random and if they're interested) are offered a chance to sub a book. Not 5 or 10, just one.

I agree that anyone who lines up a signing deserves recognition for it. But not from the people that don't get to be included. On the flip side of that if the slots for an opp are filled by what seems to be the traditional :takeit: posting in a thread then people who miss out shouldn't cop an attitude about it either. I'd love to be able to one of the guys out there trying to set up opps myself but with my work schedule and responsibilities at home it's just not an option for me.

I wasn't referring to any specific signings that have taken place. Personally I couldn't care less about Platt or Keith (just not a fan) and as for Byrne... I can take him or leave him. I think he's over rated and pretty full of himself.

My point is simply this, if we're going to talk about community then let's put forth at least a little effort to actually behave like one.

Some people are worth dealing with and some aren't. The opinion of who is and who isn't varies greatly. Use your own judgement and find a clique that works for you. End of story.

This is what I'm talking about!

What happened to this kind of banter? We used to be able to dog each other a little and no harm was done!

Let's all try to relax and have some fun!

It's hard to tell if you're joking or serisous...... (shrug)

:jokealert:

Some people are worth dealing with and some aren't. The opinion of who is and who isn't varies greatly. Use your own judgement and find a clique that works for you. End of story.

I didn't give in to the clique mentality in school and you can be sure that's not going to change now. lol

My point is simply this, if we're going to talk about community then let's put forth at least a little effort to actually behave like one.

There are tons of ways to do that without providing someone something of value for no reason other than that they frequent the Sig Room.

Personally, I suggest that people put some of the things that they are looking for in their sig lines. It is a lot easier to help folks find stuff they are looking for that way.

Also, just for the sake of fully discussing the "cliques" and whatnot (and this is not directed at any of the posters in this thread thus far), folks may want to think about the way that they treat facilitators when they wonder why they don't get in on opps. It is not just about being a "big customer."

It is also about doing what you say you are going to do, and treating facilitators with respect. I have heard literally dozens of stories of people committing to sub books and then backing out, switching horses in mid stream when they find out they can maybe get a price break from someone else, and even contacting CAWs directly to try to cut a facilitator out completely. Community is a two way street.

I didn't give in to the clique mentality in school and you can be sure that's not going to change now. lol

Not everyone fits into the same circle of friends or acquaintances. Some people are able to move between circles and some aren't. People have different values and mindsets that prevent them from being able to associate with one another. Learning and accepting that is part of being an adult.

Not everyone fits into the same circle of friends or acquaintances. Some people are able to move between circles and some aren't. People have different values and mindsets that prevent them from being able to associate with one another. Learning and accepting that is part of being an adult.

Stop quoting your PMs from Heath.

That one took me a minute. I thought, "Who the hell is Heath?" lol

P.S. I have learned to tolerate the ginger. :baiting:

Too many of your homies love me.

Too many of your homies love me.

No kidding. Affection by default. I guess we're both fortunate.

True words

I try to get along with everyone but that hasn't worked out that well

There are factions. Many factions. Ive tried my best to accommodate people. I've done several sketch opps, public and private. I love the ss program and working to get books signed. I've been a caw for many shows and will continue to do so if I can

Do I broadcast this? Why should I? I have friends I help, and have yet to turn down anyone whether I know them or not. All this goes under the radar, as I have nothing to prove.

I feel like its no love given to the formers, these are the guys I aspired to be. JJ Dwc nycomics par2ch mutantkeys...

Because of the lack of knowledge of the formers, I'm sure they feel underappreciated. Will the witnesses please stand up?