• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few Silver Age spikes...

16 posts in this topic

Captain America 110

From $90.00 (9.4) to $145.00 (9.2)

Journey Into Mystery 109

From $180.00 (9.4) to $500.00 (9.2)

X-Men 35

From $170.00 (9.4) to $300.00 (9.2)

Gotta admit...I'm a bit surprised.

What does GPA show for these books in CGC 9.2? My guess is that the Guide's new 9.2 prices are an attempt to close the gap with the actual prices commanded by CGC'd books. I mean, could anyone ever buy a true NM 9.4 book, raw or certified, for any SA or GA book, for the old Guide's 9.4 prices? The old 9.4 prices had no connection with reality, and were simply a starting point from which everyone was calculating multiples for books in CGC 9.2 and above. A lot of times CGC 9.0 books would go for the Guide's 9.4 price at a minimum.

Wow. That JIM 109 is a huge jump, I guess the X-Men guest appearance was a big deal. Been awhile since I looked at the book, but I thought it was more of a cameo than a x-over. It's moved up into the JIM #112 range, a book I would much prefer every time.

Another big jumper from Fantastic Four (besides the run mentioned in another thread), was the FF #73 that went from $65 to $110. Look's like Overstreet went around bumping up the x-overs.

A suprise to me was the exclusion of a jump on Cap #137 & 138 (Bronze Age ®). They went from $22 to $25, but are only $5 more than the surrounding issues. The cross over with Spider-Man makes these books much more difficult & expensive to find.

yeah. looks like ol' Bob's smokin the crack pipe like the rest of us!!! blush.gifconfused.gifgrin.gif

Aman;

Not an expert on the Siler Age market. Based upon the new guide, do you think Bob has it right this time or has he overdone it a bit with the price increases.

There was a thread here yesterday on FF #11 and I noticed the 2003 NM price was at $1,000. The new guide had it at $1,400 in 9.2 condition. Even more amazing, the OCPR showed further increases with the 9.2 coming in at $1,750 and the NM 9.4 coming in at $4,000. Not a bad 4X increase in guide for one year from $1K all the way to $4K.

I've always felt that the price guide should be LAGGING the market since in theory, it is suppossed to be reporting on prices for the previous year. GPA should be AT market price since it is attempting to reporting real-time prices. Wizard, on the other hand,always seem to be a LEADING indicator by trying to set and influence trends and prices.

I certainly hope Bob has not overdone it with the price increases because this would NOT be a good sign for the market.

I sure wish Overstreet would get Strange Tales Annual #2 right! It's the 6th app of Spider-man and it went from $1000 to $1100, whereas ASM #5 went from $2500 to $2900. Makes no sense!?! confused-smiley-013.gif

Timely

I usually support Bobs moves as correctly conservative. He has been consistent over the years. And, in reality, he comes out annually! How spot on can he ever be? And yet we use his prices as the starting point for all transactions! Basically, the market judges the validity of Bob;s numbers: it multiplies them when it can, and sells at them when it cant. He's kind of irrelevant and essential at the same time. Maybe its because his Guide is still all we have after 34 years!!?? (Ideally, we would combine OPG and GPA and get the Nasdaq or NYSE. Up-to date realized prices (like GPA) coupled with Overstreets complete listings etc. You think the entire industry could ever submit to an overal authority to maintain the data if it somehow could also benefit dealers and/or buyers? That would be something! Im not holding my breath)

I havent researched the changes enough yet to make a comment. But at a glance, he seems to have done a bit more than usual. Lowering the top to 9.2 AND increasing the dollar amounts ABOVE last years 9.4 is very aggressive for Bob. It amounts to a double hit on top of guide $s. But I havent looked at every title yet. If most of the regualr DCs and Marvels 9.2s are at or just a bit above last years average of the 9.0 and 9.4s, then it may be just another typical Bob year after all the screaming dies down.

He's usually very inconsistent and fixates on just a few titles and jumps the prices up. And this year so far he clearly came all the way up-to-date with FF!!

I certainly hope Bob has not overdone it with the price increases because this would NOT be a good sign for the market.

BINGO! It's a dealer-driven windfall that has no relationship to real-world Raw 9.2 prices, especially for what many dealers grade as 9.2. 27_laughing.gif

These prices are insane, and in many cases, CGC 9.2 books can be purchased for less, and Raw 9.2's sell for fractions of Guide.

Hey, there's a new term you better get used to for raw 9.2 books: "Guide Fractions". thumbsup2.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BINGO! It's a dealer-driven windfall that has no relationship to real-world Raw 9.2 prices, especially for what many dealers grade as 9.2.

These prices are insane, and in many cases, CGC 9.2 books can be purchased for less, and Raw 9.2's sell for fractions of Guide.

Hey, there's a new term you better get used to for raw 9.2 books: "Guide Fractions".

Well we use to use Guide Fractions for books in VF or less. Now, you might be right, it goes all the way up to 9.2.

DEFINITELY for SILVER-AGE MARVELS, this guide REPRESENTS CGC prices, not raw prices.

Tales of Supense #71-98 (excluding minor key issues) shows $75 for 9.2. About every other CGC sale of these books in 9.2 is below $75. So who is going to pay $75 for a RAW copy?

How about the books that spiked downwards? Why in the world would Iron Man #1 and #2 both decrease in value in every grade while #3 - #5 INCREASE? Odder still, why would Amazing Spider-Man #'s 32 - 38 decrease in value in every grade except 9.0 and above? Have you seen how much Iron man #1 has been selling for on ebay? Get with the program, Bob! And while you're at it, check out what Marvel Spotlight #5 has been selling for on ebay. You're still about 30% less than what this book is selling for in the real world. Same goes for Ghost Rider #1. Bottom line is the Overstreet is a GUIDE and not the gospel.

He's usually very inconsistent and fixates on just a few titles and jumps the prices up. And this year so far he clearly came all the way up-to-date with FF!!

IMO, he is still way low on 9.2 early FFs. Try to find an FF#1-26 in 9.2 at guide prices. No way Jose.

I noticed my Justice Leagues went up (single digits & teens) and the great Byrne X-Men fell. (Which makes sense, they've been going up to fast in the Guide over the years I think.)