• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 Copper Age Books

21 posts in this topic

Anyone know what these would be by price like Overstreet does for the other ages? Does anyone think this is something that will make it's way into the guide like the Bronze Age did a few years back?

BTW - For those who don't alreay know the copper age is according to Overstreet 1984 - 1992

I'm glad they are trying to jump start a new age. I mean the modern age has lasted to long a time. I just find it funny how they are tryin to call it the copper age cause and stop me if you heard this before....most the comics made during that era are worth pennies now hahahaha, I kill me. I love stolen jokes

madcow.jpg

Hmmm... let's see...

The Superman Bradman book

Bone #1

Cry For Dawn #1

What about Spider-man #1 Platinum and Spider-man #1 Gold w/UPC?

I assume ASM #300 would also be a consideration...

Most likely Valiant candidates, using the 1992 cut-off date...

Unity #0 Red (1992) - raw NM about $50-$55

Harbinger #0 Pink (1992) - raw NM about $35-$45

Strangely, a couple of Valiant trade paperbacks from 1992 are $150+,

but I'm not sure that trade paperbacks would necessarily qualify... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks for the suggestions guys smile.gif . Here is what I have come up with so far. Feel free to add or subtract from the list.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (First Printing)..........#1 $450

Gobbledygook #1...........................................#1 $450

Albedo #2.................................................#3 $200

Cry for Dawn #3 (Horror Con Edition)......................#3 $200

Spider-Man #1 (Gold 2nd Printing w/ UPC Code).............#5 $120

Albedo #0 (Yellow Cover)..................................#6 $100

Spider-Man #1 (Platinum)..................................#6 $100

Cry for Dawn #1...........................................#6 $100

Amazing Spider-Man #300...................................#9 $90

Bone #1...................................................#9 $90

So basically we have

Miracleman #1 (Gold variant) $1500

Miracleman #1 (Blue variant) $800

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (1st Print) $450

Gobbledygook #1 $450

Albedo #2 $200

Cry for Dawn #3 (Horror Con Edition) $200

Spider-Man #1 (Gold 2nd Printing w/ UPC Code) $120

Albedo #0 (Yellow Cover) $100

Spider-Man #1 (Platinum) $100

Cry for Dawn #1 $100

Why not just call it the "Low Print Run or Variant" Age?

What's really crazy about the Miracleman #1 books is that they're not really variants!

They are signed editions with COA's in different colors. The "gold" is a regular copy of MM 1, signed by Alan Moore with a yellow colored (and numbered) COA. The "blue" is also a regular copy, this one signed by the editors with a blue COA, but not numbered.

I don't know why it's considered so rare -- but I have my copies.... thumbsup2.gif

What's really crazy about the Miracleman #1 books is that they're not really variants!

They are signed editions with COA's in different colors. The "gold" is a regular copy of MM 1, signed by Alan Moore with a yellow colored (and numbered) COA. The "blue" is also a regular copy, this one signed by the editors with a blue COA, but not numbered.

I don't know why it's considered so rare -- but I have my copies.... thumbsup2.gif

So someone could buy a cheap, sharp MM #1, stick their gold COA in it and suddenly have a $1500 book? Yikes.

I think Overstreet needs to fix that perception. People are basically paying for the COA.

So someone could buy a cheap, sharp MM #1, stick their gold COA in it and suddenly have a $1500 book? Yikes.

I think Overstreet needs to fix that perception. People are basically paying for the COA.

They'd have to forge Alan Moore's signature on it as well. I thought he was one of the harder to get creators to sign his books?

Nearly all variants which says it all about the modern market. frown.gif

If we investigate the Top 10 books from each age...

Golden Age Top 10 gives us first appearances of

Superman, Batman, Human Torch, Captain America, Flash, Spectre...

Silver Age Top 10 gives us first appearances of

Spider-man, Flash (again), Fantastic Four (Torch again), Hulk, X-Men...

Bronze Age Top 10 gives us first appearances of

Wolverine, X-Men (again), Swamp Thing... AND... a handful of variants and special editions.

So, logically, what should be in the Top 10 of the Copper Age?

Some re-launches? Some new characters? Some variants or special editions?

Looks like all of those are likely candidates...

...and it looks like that's exactly what we find...

Spider-man (re-launches), TMNT, Miracleman, Usagi, Dawn, Bone (new characters),

and some variant and limited edition books.

I don't know why collectors want to blame the Copper Age for anything...

It's just following the patterns that have been building for decades. grin.gif

The patterns are VERY clear in other collectibles or investments...

What NEW COINS are worth anything today? Low production expensive coins.

What NEW CARDS are worth anything today? Low production expensive cards.

What NEW CARS are worth anything today? Low production expensive cars.

Realistically, when Superman and Batman have been around for 50+ years...

the ONLY thing that can bring significant value to those books again

will be print run related. Today's RRPs are inevitable... what else is there to do?

You've already KILLED (or significantly injured) these characters...

any other storyline you can imagine will be a smaller headline than that.

Spider-man in the year 2000? What's the point? He's been around 40 years...

Oh, wait, we can re-tell his origin again (for the ump-teenth time) and make sure

the books are super-low print runs... we'll have a hit for sure!

Comic books "as a collectible" will unfortunately follow all the other collectibles...

and the longer they've been around... the clearer (and sadder) their future.

Today's RRPs are inevitable... what else is there to do?

How about creating some new characters and stop taking the easy way out? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You know it can be done, I've often heard you talking about those great characters and stories from the early 90's...names escape me right now. grin.gif

Spider-man (re-launches), TMNT, Miracleman, Usagi, Dawn, Bone (new characters), and some variant and limited edition books.

That's not really accurate, as the Spider-man #1 Platinum IS A VARIANT, and its value has NOTHING to do with the relaunch. It's the same with some of the other books, and while these MAY be new characters, the comic's Variant status is the reason these books are worth so much, and are included in the list.

Make sure you tick off the Variant tag first, and then move onto the "new character" and "relaunch" ones. The REASON the books are valuable is the main criteria, and I can buy stacks of 1990's Spider-man #1 relaunch comics for virtually nothing, and only the variants are valuable.

Using the above list, that makes 6 Variants (including the two most valuable), along with 2 or 3 new character intros (all independent) and 0 relaunches.

That's not really accurate, as the Spider-man #1 Platinum IS A VARIANT, and its value has NOTHING to do with the relaunch. It's the same with some of the other books, and while these MAY be new characters, the comic's Variant status is the reason these books are worth so much, and are included in the list.

I agree... but it's still part of the pattern...

Start with all first appearances. (Golden Age)

Move to first appearances and re-launches. (Silver Age)

Then we see first appearances, re-launches, and variants. (Bronze Age)

By the Copper Age, the variants take over... is this really surprising?

They're the only "new comic idea" in the bunch. Sad, but true.

There are TONS of variant books from the Copper Age that aren't worth anything,

so I have to think SOME of the credit goes to Spider-man #1 Platinum being

a re-launch of Spider-man... and not just a variant of another nobody character.

Kind of like Star Wars #1 35cent... there are other 35cent books... but since

this one happens to be Star Wars #1, it makes the Bronze Age Top 10.

I'd say Spider-man #1 Platinum is 90% variant, 10% re-launch...

and inevitable given the pattern of the hobby.

Sure, but keep in mind that the Bronze Age variants are REAL, and not some manufactured collectible. thumbsup2.gif

I don't think any of the "Copper Age Variants" in the list are actually variants, and aren't the Venom & Bloodshot printing variants a bit later?