• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's With The Label?

8 posts in this topic

The CLEANING part of the restoration is probably the result of the Purple label. I don't think that pressing alone would get any comic book the Purple label. If I am not correct, please inform me otherwise.

CAL

If the staples are removed prior to pressing, the book gets a purple label. Steve B. has said this at least three times on these boards.

To recap once more:

Pressing without disassembly: no purple label

Dry cleaning (erasure): no purple label

Wet cleaning (solvent or aqueous solution): purple label

Pressing with disassembly: purple label.

Staples replaced without pressing: green label.

The CLEANING part of the restoration is probably the result of the Purple label. I don't think that pressing alone would get any comic book the Purple label. If I am not correct, please inform me otherwise.

CAL

If the staples are removed prior to pressing, the book gets a purple label. Steve B. has said this at least three times on these boards.

Have you seen a Purple Labe with only "Pressing" on it? I have not, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. confused.gif

When I asked Steve on these boards why you shouldn't remove the staples, his response was "you just shouldn't". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, I haven't seen a PLOD with just pressing, but that's because my understanding is that most books that get disassembled for pressing also get wet cleaned as a precursor to the professional press job. Povertyrow could probably add some input here....

Have you seen a Purple Labe with only "Pressing" on it? I have not, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened. confused.gif

When I asked Steve on these boards why you shouldn't remove the staples, his response was "you just shouldn't". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, I haven't seen a PLOD with just pressing, but that's because my understanding is that most books that get disassembled for pressing also get wet cleaned as a precursor to the professional press job. povertyrow could probably add some input here....

I don't believe most books that get disassembled for pressing get wet cleaned. I would say it is the other way around. Most books that get disassembled for wet cleaning get pressed. After wet cleaning, a pressing is pretty basic. Disassembly for just pressing would usually involve a VERY slight humidification.

There goes another beautiful theory, brutalized by a vicious gang of facts.

So has anyone ever seen a book in a PLOD that was just pressed? I know I haven't.

No, I haven't seen a PLOD with just pressing, but that's because my understanding is that most books that get disassembled for pressing also get wet cleaned as a precursor to the professional press job. povertyrow could probably add some input here....

I don't believe most books that get disassembled for pressing get wet cleaned. I would say it is the other way around. Most books that get disassembled for wet cleaning get pressed. After wet cleaning, a pressing is pretty basic. Disassembly for just pressing would usually involve a VERY slight humidification.