• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DAMN DIRTY APES!!!

66 posts in this topic

I just watched it.

Every new trailer I saw made me want to see it less, but it really was a great movie. Not perfect, but few movies are.

I loved the nods to the original films. Very well done.

Overall, one of the best movies of the summer, and there have been several good movies that came out this year. :applause:

Lots of homage moments. The screen writers were obviously fans of the originals. Here's what I caught:

Ape names:

Bright Eyes (Zira's name for Taylor before he could talk),

Cornelia (Cornelius),

Maurice (original actor playing Zaius)

Use of the water hose to torment a caged prisoner

"Get your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape!"

Any others I missed?

In the beginning when they were rounding up the apes. Change places with the apes and humans and you'll get the beginning of the original movie.

Yes! Nice catch.

And don't forget the pursuit on horses at the end.

Don't read the super spoiler if you want to collect all the eggs yourself...

.. so many freaking homages it's amazing. I've got to go back and watch em all again.

I only had one question coming of the theatre. Did I miss something or was it a hint at what we could see in a possible sequel?

------------------------------------------------

Possible Spoiler Below (how do you get the hidden spoiler effect?)

When CAESAR frees his colleagues from the facility, he pauses for a moment in front of a cage and looks into it. It looked like a plastic rocking horse or other kiddy toy knocked over in the corner. Then CAESAR focuses on a name tag/sign that had the name of where JAMES FRANCO's character worked. I don't believe this was CAESAR's cage... Is this a hint that ANOTHER ape had ALREADY been exposed to the treatment or possibly a hint of the time-travelling prevalent in the APES mythos - did another intelligent APE, somehow associated with that research company, already travel back in time, or something like that?

It happened so quickly on screen that I wasn't sure what I just witnessed. What did you all make of it? Perhaps it was something more obvious and straightforward, but it happened so fast... (shrug)

I just watched it.

Every new trailer I saw made me want to see it less, but it really was a great movie. Not perfect, but few movies are.

I loved the nods to the original films. Very well done.

Overall, one of the best movies of the summer, and there have been several good movies that came out this year. :applause:

Lots of homage moments. The screen writers were obviously fans of the originals. Here's what I caught:

Ape names:

Bright Eyes (Zira's name for Taylor before he could talk),

Cornelia (Cornelius),

Maurice (original actor playing Zaius)

Use of the water hose to torment a caged prisoner

"Get your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape!"

Any others I missed?

In the beginning when they were rounding up the apes. Change places with the apes and humans and you'll get the beginning of the original movie.

Yes! Nice catch.

And don't forget the pursuit on horses at the end.

Don't read the super spoiler if you want to collect all the eggs yourself...

.. so many freaking homages it's amazing. I've got to go back and watch em all again.

My favourite nod was the "lost astronauts". :applause:

I only had one question coming of the theatre. Did I miss something or was it a hint at what we could see in a possible sequel?

When CAESAR frees his colleagues from the facility, he pauses for a moment in front of a cage and looks into it. It looked like a plastic rocking horse or other kiddy toy knocked over in the corner. Then CAESAR focuses on a name tag/sign that had the name of where JAMES FRANCO's character worked. I don't believe this was CAESAR's cage... Is this a hint that ANOTHER ape had ALREADY been exposed to the treatment or possibly a hint of the time-travelling prevalent in the APES mythos - did another intelligent APE, somehow associated with that research company, already travel back in time, or something like that?

It happened so quickly on screen that I wasn't sure what I just witnessed. What did you all make of it? Perhaps it was something more obvious and straightforward, but it happened so fast... (shrug)

I watched it again today and looked for that particular scene. What happened is...

Earlier we are shown an ape was dragged from his cage and taken away. His yellow tag said, "for GenSys -- name: Lucky," implying that GenSys was harvesting chimps from the facility to use for their experiments. When Ceasar made the escape, he looked back at the cage and read the tag. Partly enraged by this revelation, and partly to begin his campaign of freeing more apes to join his army, his first task was to go release the apes that were being used at Gensys. Next was the zoo. So I'm pretty certain there was no time travel reference.

However, I did pick up a few more eggs:

One related to your idea, is that the headline in the newspaper dropped off at the neighbor's house was "Lost In Space" referring to the astronauts in the hyped up space launch shown on the tv news background. I'm fairly certain the implication was that these astronauts would be launched into some type of wormhole/parallel reality sending them to the future planet of the apes universe.

I watched it again today and looked for that particular scene. What happened is...

Earlier we are shown an ape was dragged from his cage and taken away. His yellow tag said, "for GenSys -- name: Lucky," implying that GenSys was harvesting chimps from the facility to use for their experiments. When Ceasar made the escape, he looked back at the cage and read the tag. Partly enraged by this revelation, and partly to begin his campaign of freeing more apes to join his army, his first task was to go release the apes that were being used at Gensys. Next was the zoo. So I'm pretty certain there was no time travel reference.

However, I did pick up a few more eggs:

One related to your idea, is that the headline in the newspaper dropped off at the neighbor's house was "Lost In Space" referring to the astronauts in the hyped up space launch shown on the tv news background. I'm fairly certain the implication was that these astronauts would be launched into some type of wormhole/parallel reality sending them to the future planet of the apes universe.

(thumbs u

Took Mrs F_T to see it tonight and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. Good plot and pacing with a steady build-up that was believable. Good action at the end and a very enjoyable 7/10 from me.

I think it worked as a stand-alone and I'm not too keen on seeing a sequel. It's only going to tread territory that's been trod before. The scene during the credits pretty much finished the story for me and any extrapolation would be unnecessary, IMHO.