• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Fantasy Fan (1933-1935) Full Run

62 posts in this topic

Congratulations! The front cover of the last issue is a pretty interesting read in itself. Horning mentions that the second-hand value of the first issue already was 5-10 times the cover price: he sure was ahead of his time.

Congratulations! The front cover of the last issue is a pretty interesting read in itself. Horning mentions that the second-hand value of the first issue already was 5-10 times the cover price: he sure was ahead of his time.

That's been one of the most fascinating things about reading these---realizing how sophisticated these guys were, not just as fans, but as collectors. Julie Schwartz writes a long article that's serialized through several issues on how to collect SF and weird fiction. FJA also writes a multi-part article on his own impressive collection. There was already an understanding of scarcity and value on older items. Check out these ads on the back of the first issue. Note for example that there is already an understanding that the 1927 Amazing Stories Annual is scarce---only six years after it was published. Also notice the mention of Jerry Siegel's fanzine Science Fiction.

FantasyFanbc001.jpg

Amazing! What a great collection! I'm especially interested in the "Frost Giant's Daughter" info, because I never knew it had been published in 1934. I was under the impression that its first publication was in the 1950s. I learn something new here every day!

This is really a fantastic find. What I find fascinating (Fantasy Fan alliteration in progress) is the fact that the editor went to the extent of having these professionally typeset and printed. Not a small expense in those depression days for a teenager.

Where may I ask did this come from? Were they from an original subscriber?

This is really a fantastic find. What I find fascinating (Fantasy Fan alliteration in progress) is the fact that the editor went to the extent of having these professionally typeset and printed. Not a small expense in those depression days for a teenager.

Where may I ask did this come from? Were they from an original subscriber?

If you read the front of the last issue, Hornig talks about how the printer was a friend and fantasy fan who had been cutting him a deal, but once the printer had a lot of real business and couldn't afford to give him the discount anymore, that made it go under. Hornig still continued as editor of Wonder Stories until 1936, when he was suceeded by Mort Weisinger.

The person I bought the collection from is the owner of a SF bookstore and longtime collector and fan. This set had been in his personal collection for 30 years. Before that I don't know, but most of the surviving copies today very likely came from either well known fans and collectors or professionals, as that's who mostly made up the 60 or so subscribers.

That's been one of the most fascinating things about reading these---realizing how sophisticated these guys were, not just as fans, but as collectors. Julie Schwartz writes a long article that's serialized through several issues on how to collect SF and weird fiction. FJA also writes a multi-part article on his own impressive collection. There was already an understanding of scarcity and value on older items. Check out these ads on the back of the first issue. Note for example that there is already an understanding that the 1927 Amazing Stories Annual is scarce---only six years after it was published. Also notice the mention of Jerry Siegel's fanzine Science Fiction.

FantasyFanbc001.jpg

Awesome and it was interesting that even back then they were selling back issues.

Example they were saying issue one was sold out and going for about $1 dollar.