• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America a "bomb" over seas

89 posts in this topic

i haven't seen a single harry potter movie, and i'll prolly never will. doesn't interest me at all one bit. (shrug)

+1, maybe after i read the source material- gaiman's "books of magic"

:applause:

The overseas market is forgetting who it was that broke down the walls of 90 % of the twentieth centuries obstacles in a thousand different catagories.

Right before I plop down my $10 to see a movie I always think, "Hey! What % of walls broken down of the twentieth centuries obstacles in a thousand different categories did the country of origin for this movie have a part in?"

No kidding. CA is hardly a 'bomb' internationally, and the U.S. has been pretty damn successful at exporting it's popular culture - both good and bad. I wasn't born here, but I love this country, warts and all, became a citizen at 14 and don't think I'd want to live anywhere else, but I find the myopic resentment some have that the rest of the world isn't grateful enough for what we've done embarrassing.

The overseas market is forgetting who it was that broke down the walls of 90 % of the twentieth centuries obstacles in a thousand different catagories.

Right before I plop down my $10 to see a movie I always think, "Hey! What % of walls broken down of the twentieth centuries obstacles in a thousand different categories did the country of origin for this movie have a part in?"

:roflmao:

Well said.

i haven't seen a single harry potter movie, and i'll prolly never will. doesn't interest me at all one bit. (shrug)

Gaiman says it's not a ripoff, that everybody borrows a little and contributes a little to genre fiction.

Well, that actually does't surprise me. I loved it, but then again, I'm American. I love to see a guy in an American flag whoop . If you're French, it might not hold the same significance.

Your right.

It should hold more

Without American soldiers giving their lives on French soil, the French flag would look markedly different today.

Yes, but this generation of French either doesn't know, doesn't care to know, or just flat out doesn't care. We're the enemy now, maybe not militarily, but in just about every competitive field.

Gone are the days of the 800 million dollar movies,with the economy,internet etc. Captain America just does'nt bode well in Europe,not a surprise really.

??? Harry potter and transformers 3 are billion dollar movies worldwide.

That is because both of those movies transcend American audiences..

I doubt we as Americans would be rushing to the box office for Union Jack or Captain Brittan or Alpha Flight.

Gaiman says it's not a ripoff, that everybody borrows a little and contributes a little to genre fiction.

The characters resemble each other physically, a lot, and they are both about magic, but other than that, not much else similar. At least as far as my recollection of the Gaiman/Bolton prestige series is concerned. And I have read all of the HP books, which were good.

Well, that actually does't surprise me. I loved it, but then again, I'm American. I love to see a guy in an American flag whoop . If you're French, it might not hold the same significance.

Your right.

It should hold more

Without American soldiers giving their lives on French soil, the French flag would look markedly different today.

Without the French help, American flag would still be Union Jack.

And by the way, Capt. America has not yet been released in France, so keep your ignorant comments to yourself.

This is true. However, we bailed them out with American blood in both WWI and WW2 -- also, it was American military stationed all over Western Europe that prevented the Soviets from marching west and turning all of Europe into Soviet satellites...So I think the US is at least 2 up on France!

Your right.

It should hold more

Yes, but this generation of French either doesn't know, doesn't care to know, or just flat out doesn't care. We're the enemy now, maybe not militarily, but in just about every competitive field.

How much time have you spent in France exactly?

Your right.

It should hold more

And by the way, Capt. America has not yet been released in France, so keep your ignorant comments to yourself.

This is true. However, we bailed them out with American blood in both WWI and WW2 -- also, it was American military stationed all over Western Europe that prevented the Soviets from marching west and turning all of Europe into Soviet satellites...So I think the US is at least 2 up on France!

Exploding their own atom bomb in 1960 might have helped the French as well.

Your right.

It should hold more

Let me try this: Without the French help 1776-1783, U.S. would have stayed British Colony and would have gone to war as such. It would have been allowed to join WWI in 1914 as British Dominion and along the French, fight and only help kill Hitler in 1918, preventing WWII and need to "save" France. Not to mention canceling the existence of Capt America (or Capt. British North America, in this case). As a British Dominion it would have stayed out of Vietnam, saving the lives of thousands G.I.'s, of which one would come to reform American education system so you could be thought basic history of your own country. ;) I joke of course.

I still stand by my original comment. Normaly movies will aways gross the higher percent over 50% overseas. I don't see it happening.

This is not to say that I did not like the movie, personally I really like the Jack Kirby inspired parts including the SGT Fury #13 parts.. but I don't see Cap going over 35-40% worldwide.

:whistle:

Six pages of gubbins mentioning both Cap and France and not one mention of this???

tumblr_lmr331CLrg1qbmcovo1_500.jpg

BTW,

I'm not American, have seen the film and thought it was excellent.

Probably the second best movie this year after Black Swan

I also love France.