• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America a "bomb" over seas

89 posts in this topic

Six pages of gubbins mentioning both Cap and France and not one mention of this???

tumblr_lmr331CLrg1qbmcovo1_500.jpg

BTW,

I'm not American, have seen the film and thought it was excellent.

Probably the second best movie this year after Black Swan

I also love France.

:banana:

X-Men was better, and Black Swan was last year.

i think your sig beats all of the above :)

Those FF books are cool.

X-Men was better, and Black Swan was last year.

Those FF books are cool.

i know right...cant go wrong with hulk and thing on a cover together

I was going to go with this one, but I was afraid it'd gross all you pantywaist nancies out too much. :sumo:

CuteGirlGlassEye.gif

I do that everyday.

I saw it last night & thought it was awesome :) Its already moving out of the good theater here though and into the crappy independent one though so I don't think it did too well ... Was a good 200 + people in the theater though .... only ... 49 seats were left when me and my friend got the tickets & we were kind of late getting to it .... Was also cheap night So only 8.75 for a 3d movie

the movie though... enjoyable from start to finish :luhv::cloud9: it totally has all my love :luhv: right up with thor & ironmans! I've been seeing all the marvel movies with a friend who is not really a comic fan & I think even he is excited about avengers movie now :golfclap:

This is, by far, the dumbest series of posts I've read on this forum in a LONG time.

It's a fuggin comic book movie, which doesn't warrant trivializing and oversimplifying complex histories and political relations.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/captain-america-surprisingly-loved-by-222690

Fears that the patriotic super-soldier pic would turn off overseas audiences prove wrong.

America isn't a four- letter word overseas, after all. Many assumed Paramount and Marvel Studios' Captain America: The First Avenger would struggle in foreign markets because of the character's patriotic overtones.

But the film jumped $100 million during its second weekend of international release and has rolled out in only 41 markets, many of them smaller territories. That means Captain America has plenty of life left. Domestically, where the release had a one-week head start, it has earned $143.2 million.

The 3D pic is doing especially big business in Latin America and Southeast Asia, pacing ahead of Marvel's Thor in territories including Mexico and Brazil, where it has cumed $15.7 million and $14.5 million, respectively. It also has done solid business in the U.K. and Ireland ($11.1 million), Australia ($8.5 million) and even former Cold War foe Russia ($7.7 million).

Captain America touched down in Spain during the Aug. 5 to 7 weekend and grossed $2.5 million, 30 percent ahead of Warner Bros.' Clash of the Titans. And in Hong Kong, it opened to $2.5 million, 11 percent ahead of Thor and 24 percent better than 2008's Iron Man.

Box-office observers say Captain America is on track to gross $200 million offshore, about the same as this summer's X-Men: First Class.

Created during World War II (its first cover featured the superhero punching out Adolf Hitler), the Captain America comic tells the story of Steve Rogers, a scrawny kid from Brooklyn who dreams of fighting for the U.S. and the Allies. He gets his wish when he is transformed into a super-soldier and takes on the Nazis.

Through the years, the Captain America comic books have been published in at least 75 countries, creating a far-flung fan base.

Paramount Pictures International president Andrew Cripps notes that the character is so well known outside the U.S. that every country but three -- Russia, Ukraine and South Korea -- opted to use the title Captain America: The First Avenger instead of The First Avenger (Paramount gave them a choice). Ask many in Hollywood, and they are under the assumption that foreign markets opted for the shorter title. Wrong.

Paramount's international campaign has focused on the film's action, rather than it being a World War II period piece. The studio also is tub-thumping the 3D, which remains a big lure overseas.

"We are very pleased with Captain America's international results so far, which clearly demonstrate the worldwide popularity of the iconic lead character," says Cripps, "as well as the continuing power of 3D at the box office."

Foreign Box Office doesn't look so bad at the moment (47,5 %) and the Movie has still not opened in some countries yet.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=captainamerica.htm

Looking at the box office numbers Captain America might do better box office overseas then here? Who would have thunk that? hm

Six pages of gubbins mentioning both Cap and France and not one mention of this???

tumblr_lmr331CLrg1qbmcovo1_500.jpg

BTW,

I'm not American, have seen the film and thought it was excellent.

I also love France.

Great panel. I remember laughing out loud when I first read it.

Captain America is The Bomb overseas. The title of this thread is misleading. :)

I'll still stand by my original post (but I qualified it with " " :baiting:

Domestic:

$166,521,868

52.6%

+ Foreign:

$150,167,957

47.4%

Normally a movies will be 40% Domestic and 60% International. This movie had a big draw in the US. Also remember the 3D vesion brings in 37% higher revenues vs 2d (another reason why Avatar destroyed Titanic not multiple veiwers that Titanic caused).

I'm happy that it hit $316M but compare it to HP 1B the Cap is a blip on the scope.

Well, that actually does't surprise me. I loved it, but then again, I'm American. I love to see a guy in an American flag whoop . If you're French, it might not hold the same significance.

Your right.

It should hold more

Without American soldiers giving their lives on French soil, the French flag would look markedly different today.

Without the French help, American flag would still be Union Jack.

And by the way, Capt. America has not yet been released in France, so keep your ignorant comments to yourself.

Yeah cuz canada, australia etc haven't been independent for a long long time

If not in the 1780s it would have happened in the 1810s

Captain America is The Bomb overseas. The title of this thread is misleading. :)

Domestic:

$166,521,868

52.6%

+ Foreign:

$150,167,957

47.4%

Normally a movies will be 40% Domestic and 60% International. This movie had a big draw in the US. Also remember the 3D vesion brings in 37% higher revenues vs 2d (another reason why Avatar destroyed Titanic not multiple veiwers that Titanic caused).

I'm happy that it hit $316M but compare it to HP 1B the Cap is a blip on the scope.

and again, doesn't seem like your reading comprehension is that great. the movie will end up doing $175mm domestic and $200mm internationally.

Domestic:

$166,521,868

52.6%

+ Foreign:

$150,167,957

47.4%

So we are switching to Cap is a "Bomb" to "Cap is no Harry Potter 7"

"Normally" is based on what? They only way to make your flawed statement even come close to making sense is to start assuming that this was expected to be some kind of billion dollar blockbuster. It will soon be the top grossing superhero movie of the year. It will make a larger percentage of its money internationally than Iron Man 2 (IM2 made just less than half of its money overseas) and Cap will also make more money overall than IM2, X-Men First Class, Green Lantern and many other comparable movies.

As percentage of box office, plenty of examples not meeting your 60%+ call. (X-Men has 0 of 5 movies reach 60%)

X-Men Last Stand = 49%

X-Men Wolverine = 52%

Green Lantern = 40%

Iron Man = 45%

Dark Knight = 47%

Hell, only two of the top 24 superhero movies of all time had 60% of sales internationally.

Studios may hope for Dark Knight or Iron Man magic, but this movie met or exceeded every prediction I had seen for it prior to release. It was a critical success - and deservedly so - and did better at the box office vs. superhero movies that cost more to produce. (GL $200m, IM2 $170m, X-Men FC $160m, Thor $150m, Cap $140m)

Domestic:

$166,521,868

52.6%

+ Foreign:

$150,167,957

47.4%

So we are switching to Cap is a "Bomb" to "Cap is no Harry Potter 7"

"Normally" is based on what? They only way to make your flawed statement even come close to making sense is to start assuming that this was expected to be some kind of billion dollar blockbuster. It will soon be the top grossing superhero movie of the year. It will make a larger percentage of its money internationally than Iron Man 2 (IM2 made just less than half of its money overseas) and Cap will also make more money overall than IM2, X-Men First Class, Green Lantern and many other comparable movies.

As percentage of box office, plenty of examples not meeting your 60%+ call. (X-Men has 0 of 5 movies reach 60%)

X-Men Last Stand = 49%

X-Men Wolverine = 52%

Green Lantern = 40%

Iron Man = 45%

Dark Knight = 47%

Hell, only two of the top 24 superhero movies of all time had 60% of sales internationally.

Studios may hope for Dark Knight or Iron Man magic, but this movie met or exceeded every prediction I had seen for it prior to release. It was a critical success - and deservedly so - and did better at the box office vs. superhero movies that cost more to produce. (GL $200m, IM2 $170m, X-Men FC $160m, Thor $150m, Cap $140m)

facts, bah humbug; tho to be completely accurate cap won't pass thor's b.o.