• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it a fake?

8 posts in this topic

I have been offered a number of private sales recently that include Superman #1, and a couple of other GA goodies. I know it's always dodgy buying blind over the internet, but what questions ABOUT THE BOOK are needed to be asked?

taking the Supes #1 for example, what should it measure? What markings are there to tell if it is a reprint or not? etc etc.

Number one Q: Can you please send me a scan of the front, back covers AND the Indicia???

2) Make sure it is NOT a reprint. I know you want that info re: reprint of Supe # 1 - ASK seller outright.

Let me get something out of my O guide and I will post it later for you.

CAL

Regarding the Superman # 1:

The reprint is an EXACT duplicate of the 1939 except for it's SIZE. There is a warning: in bold on page 811 of the 2004 Overstreet:

The reprint was published in 1978 by DC with a second cover titling it as Famous First Edition. There have been many reported cases of the outer cover being removed and the remaining interior sold as the original edition.

So I would be very cautious here. I would phone the Seller and ask hard questions. If s/he gets upset at tough questions, that in itself should tell you something.

Sure hope this info helps you. hi.gif

CAL

thumbsup2.gif Thanks for the info. Does it say what size the Supes reprint and the priginal should be? Waiting on my delivery of the OS, they take a while longer to hit the UK shores!

Anything else anyone can think of? confused-smiley-013.gif

thumbsup2.gif Thanks for the info. Does it say what size the Supes reprint and the priginal should be? Waiting on my delivery of the OS, they take a while longer to hit the UK shores!

Anything else anyone can think of? confused-smiley-013.gif

look in last years guide.. its the same warning.