• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC "New Label" vs. "Old Label": WHICH IS STRICTER?

32 posts in this topic

I thought the newer ones were always tighter......... confused-smiley-013.gif

I got it man! thumbsup2.gif Based on the responses to my "Golden Age Collection sells for $18M" thread, today is not the day for quick-witted humor... 27_laughing.gif

the red modern labels that i have are by far more tightly graded. i think the newer ones are graded A LOT looser,just look at all the 9.9s and 10.0s on ebay these days.i know a few sellers pre-screen tons of new stuff but they were pre-screening the same stuff a year or so ago and i never saw this many 10.0s before. 893whatthe.gif

I got it man! thumbsup2.gif Based on the responses to my "Golden Age Collection sells for $18M" thread, today is not the day for quick-witted humor... 27_laughing.gif

You have a filthy mind! 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif

Hey, that's what I was thinking when I read your post initially!! 893naughty-thumb.gif

That's it!! Lock this thread down!!

I thought the newer ones were always tighter.........

Did you look at the scan of the ASM #74 in my prior post?

I don't believe that every New Label is graded looser than an Old Label, but as I have stated many times before, there is no way I see CGC intentionally deciding to grade STRICTER.

It would in fact INVALIDATE all the books they had graded before that.

Think of it this way:

What would happen if CGC decided (based on collectors opinions), to start downgrading for manufacturing defects? Once again, it would INVALIDATE the 400,000 books already graded. Of course some books would grade out the same, but many would grade lower. I just don't see that happening. 893naughty-thumb.gif

You can't be serious here in what you are saying. And I've got a CGC Gem Mint 10.0 condition copy of Action Comics #1 to sell you for the bargain basement price of only $100,000.

CGC appears to be less concern with integrity and more obsessed with manufactuing collectibles through their Signature Series, selling pedigree designations, selling partnerships such as the Wizard One program, cranking out resubmits at higher grades.

Bottom-line: Short-term gain for long-term pain. In other words, grab the cash while you can before your own antics kill off the market.

I'm not sure I have any idea what your post has to do with my comments.

Basically, my comment was:

I don't believe over time CGC standards could become stricter.

From a business point of view, IT WOULDN'T MAKE SENSE.

From a credibility point of view, IT WOULDN'T MAKE SENSE.

We'll see about the changing standards as I'm sending in two "Red Label" moderns for re-grading today. As many here have postulated that Red Label moderns are excellent candidates for resubs, we'll see. One is a 9.0 that I felt was accurate, but the other was a 9.2 that I felt was undergraded, so I'm hoping for a 9.4 this time 'round. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Ahhh...the good old days when X-men 94's and GS X-men 1's could be slabbed for like $10!! cloud9.gif