• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foolkiller's WW Chicago Report

221 posts in this topic

I'll just say that most other contributors have a vested interest in not seeing the GA market tanking. And I don't think it will tank per se. But the prices reflected in the guide just don't reflect what I perceive the real interest of most of the base of the future hobby really desiring. Look, Tecs 27-38, always going to be hot and desirable. And sure, there are always going to be some new folks collecting golden age. There's some great stuff, but I think as the collecting population ages, there's a greater disconnect with GA. I have no connection to GA except a small amount of stuff. The stuff I really "desire" is all SA with a few exceptions.

Plus the interiors on most GA is god awful. There are, of course, exceptions.

I'll disagree.

Although I'm a dealer, I don't have a real vested interest in the GA market since they only make up a very, very small portion of my inventory (less than 2%) and usually just key books.

What I see is more and more 20 and 30 something-year-olds buying up GA books. Interests seem to cover not only the Superhero titles but also the esoteric stuff.

I bought my first GA book about 4 years ago and I am hotter for them than I ever have been.

Now granted, I hang out with a lot of guys who like the stuff so my perspective may be different than yours but I see a very large interest in those books on the con floor, in the selling forum etc.

I'll admit I don't have the history to be able to guage whether there has been a decline in interest or how much of a decline, I just see many people still interested in them.

Very true. I do collect and love rarer stuff. But most golden age stuff is sooo hokey and silly. The artwork is mostly lacking also. Just look at the cover of Buck Rogers #1 (which I own a very nice copy of). That cover looks childish actually.

It's supposed to look childish. It was made for kids.

That's the entire appeal of the GA era...that it accurately represents what comics where like in the very beginning.

I'll disagree.

Although I'm a dealer, I don't have a real vested interest in the GA market since they only make up a very, very small portion of my inventory (less than 2%) and usually just key books.

What I see is more and more 20 and 30 something-year-olds buying up GA books. Interests seem to cover not only the Superhero titles but also the esoteric stuff.

I bought my first GA book about 4 years ago and I am hotter for them than I ever have been.

Now granted, I hang out with a lot of guys who like the stuff so my perspective may be different than yours but I see a very large interest in those books on the con floor, in the selling forum etc.

I'll admit I don't have the history to be able to guage whether there has been a decline in interest or how much of a decline, I just see many people still interested in them.

You're also what, in your mid 40s Roy? And what do you generally chase? Marvel Mysteries with iconic covers?

People who are middle aged still remember when GA was king -- and I believe fewer and fewer collectors will chase anything but the legendary books. The guys I see going for GA are generally an older demographic. And while there are a few younger guys who love it, and some who come in and buy it, that's not where the majority of the base is for it.

I think there's tons of interest too in GA -- but at lowered prices. GA has outpaced the reality of its value in most cases in my mind.

I'll disagree.

You're also what, in your mid 40s Roy? And what do you generally chase? Marvel Mysteries with iconic covers?

People who are middle aged still remember when GA was king -- and I believe fewer and fewer collectors will chase anything but the legendary books. The guys I see going for GA are generally an older demographic. And while there are a few younger guys who love it, and some who come in and buy it, that's not where the majority of the base is for it.

I think there's tons of interest too in GA -- but at lowered prices. GA has outpaced the reality of its value in most cases in my mind.

I hope you're right :wishluck: so I can buy it all up.

Not even 41 yet.

:makepoint:

I collect a variety of things but for the most part, because of a limited budget I can only collect so many things.

Good girl art.

Whiz Comics (my run goal is almost complete on this title after searching for nearly 4 years).

Iconic covers (stuff like Victory Comics #2)

Keys.

rare books with covers that are not very iconic at all.

Only early Schomburg timely books.

In between, I do pick up stuff that is not iconic but still cool. Like most though, I'm on a limited budget.

try hanging out in the Golden age forum; looking at the books that are posted there, do it for a week and see if you dont get the urge to splurge on some Golden Goodness :insane:

I have, but somehow I've managed to resist. I'd still want some limited number of the books, but there's very little that I really want to chase.

Not even 41 yet.

:makepoint:

I collect a variety of things but for the most part, because of a limited budget I can only collect so many things.

Good girl art.

Whiz Comics (my run goal is almost complete on this title after searching for nearly 4 years).

Iconic covers (stuff like Victory Comics #2)

Keys.

rare books with covers that are not very iconic at all.

Only early Schomburg timely books.

In between, I do pick up stuff that is not iconic but still cool. Like most though, I'm on a limited budget.

Putting the Whiz run aside, you essentially collect the cream of the GA.

try hanging out in the Golden age forum; looking at the books that are posted there, do it for a week and see if you dont get the urge to splurge on some Golden Goodness :insane:

I have, but somehow I've managed to resist. I'd still want some limited number of the books, but there's very little that I really want to chase.

chase this baby

comic001-8-3.jpg

chase this baby

comic001-8-3.jpg

How much to rent her for an hour? :whistle:

I believe the vast variety that the Golden Age books encompass entice a lot of collectors to those 30's-50's books, not to mention the scarcity. The Silver Age consists of basically 2 things, Marvel Superhero & DC Superhero books. They are indeed great, but after years of collecting those books it starts to get mundane. Any Silver Age book can be had at any time I want to spend money for it, what's the fun in that? Unless you are trying to get a run of Amazing Spider-Man's in 9.9, there is no challenge to it what-so-ever.

I've been a collector of Golden Age books for 25 years now and there is STILL books I've never seen available at any price. I like the fact that the Golden Age art is uncensored and truly reflective of the times. Sure, some interior GA art is weak, but if you see up close some of those Silver Age Marvel original art pages you'll see how unsophisticated some of that can be too.

The guys I see going for GA are generally an older demographic. And while there are a few younger guys who love it, and some who come in and buy it, that's not where the majority of the base is for it.

I have to say that I agree, I've never had to push anyone younger than me to look through misc. GA boxes at shows. The stuff sells on eBay well enough. I had over $1,000 worth of bids on Sunday night and only ended up spending $50 so there are buyers out there other than me, and though I can't tell who's buying it, I surmise you are correct in your assessment as to the age demographic.

Good thing I enjoy the books for what they are and not view them as investment. With all I've spent and still spend on random GA books, I could have by now a nice little collection of desirable GA books but here doeth not lie my interest in collecting. Call me the anti-Silver Surfer (the board member that is).

I believe the vast variety that the Golden Age books encompass entice a lot of collectors to those 30's-50's books. The Silver Age consists of basically 2 things, Marvel Superhero & DC Superhero books. They are indeed great, but after years of collecting those books it starts to get mundane. Any Silver Age book can be had at any time I want to spend money for it, what's the fun in that? Unless you are trying to get a run of Amazing Spider-Man's in 9.9, there is no challenge to it what-so-ever.

I've been a collector of Golden Age books for 25 years now and there is STILL books I've never seen available at any price. I like the fact that the Golden Age art is uncensored and truly reflective of the times. Sure, some interior GA art is weak, but if you see up close some of those Silver Age Marvel original art pages you'll see how unsophisticated some of that can be too.

This is definitely the response most GA collectors have given me and I understand this argument. However, I believe most collectors want to have some connection to the material they are pursuing or collecting. Otherwise, why not collect Platinum age comics? They're certainly rare and impossible to find.

The SA's boom is definitely centered around Marvel and DC. No doubt and it is all about the money in most cases to put it together. I would argue though, that mid 50s DCs to early 60s DCs are as difficult as any GA run to put together except the rarest early Actions/Tecs, etc.

The reality is, just because it's rare doesn't mean it's automatically either desirable to most people or something collectible. I still maintain that there are going to be fewer and fewer people chasing the majority of GA. Do you think GA Flash prices are really worth Guide? Or GA Green Lanterns, or All Americans? I just think that those prices have to drop as I just don't see the same level demand sustaining for them long term.

There's always cream, but just like saying AF 15 is going up up up, doesn't mean I think most mid 60s Spideys are on the up swing, quite the reverse actually.

I believe the vast variety that the Golden Age books encompass entice a lot of collectors to those 30's-50's books. The Silver Age consists of basically 2 things, Marvel Superhero & DC Superhero books. They are indeed great, but after years of collecting those books it starts to get mundane. Any Silver Age book can be had at any time I want to spend money for it, what's the fun in that? Unless you are trying to get a run of Amazing Spider-Man's in 9.9, there is no challenge to it what-so-ever.

This is definitely the response most GA collectors have given me and I understand this argument. However, I believe most collectors want to have some connection to the material they are pursuing or collecting. Otherwise, why not collect Platinum age comics? They're certainly rare and impossible to find.

The SA's boom is definitely centered around Marvel and DC. No doubt and it is all about the money in most cases to put it together. I would argue though, that mid 50s DCs to early 60s DCs are as difficult as any GA run to put together except the rarest early Actions/Tecs, etc.

The reality is, just because it's rare doesn't mean it's automatically either desirable to most people or something collectible. I still maintain that there are going to be fewer and fewer people chasing the majority of GA. Do you think GA Flash prices are really worth Guide? Or GA Green Lanterns, or All Americans? I just think that those prices have to drop as I just don't see the same level demand sustaining for them long term.

There's always cream, but just like saying AF 15 is going up up up, doesn't mean I think most mid 60s Spideys are on the up swing, quite the reverse actually.

I just feel your post saying the Golden Age is tanking and Silver Age is great because that is what I collect is a little presumptuous on your part! I could say the same thing in reverse, but what's the point? To make others feel bad about what they collect or own? No thanks!

I just feel your post saying the Golden Age is tanking and Silver Age is great because that is what I collect is a little presumptuous on your part!

No I think both are open to losses. SA keys are likely to sustain more and I think that minor SA keys will actually survive across the board better. Plus I think that lower grade SA will become cheaper, more accessible and sought after by readers and run fillers than most GA.

I'm speaking strictly from a market perspective. I think SA is just as susceptible, if not moreso, to an implosion. But I think GA could experience a complete deadening akin to westerns on many of its genres.

MrBedrock's WWChicago highlights....

1) Sold Foolkiller a large stack of raw silver/bronze.

2) Won three of four in heads-up hold 'em against Foolkiller.