• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: LXG

4 posts in this topic

LXG (short for League of Extraordinary Gentleman) is already being pegged as a blockbuster bust. Perhaps the critics may have this one pegged; but I really like the way the X-men movie has impacted hollywood to take a close second look at the idea super-human teams as good thrillers and drama draws on the big screen.

The LXG movie is based on Alan Moore's comic mini-series, and in an ideal world, this ought to be enough to insure a successful film. However it would appear that Hollywoods heavies are not speaking favourably about some of the developments - the most prevalent setback being that they have already had to rework initial budgeting numbers from 80 million to 100+ million due to the floods in Prague (the place where they are filming).

Having enjoyed this story in comic format, I was somewhat excited to hear about the movie... anyone else heard anything about this project?

I have been dreading the release of this film ever since I heard the casting and budget...

The comic series is so fantastic... but I think it would have done far better as an indy movie with a $15 mil budget than it will with $100 mil... With a smaller budget the movie could have relied on its inherent quirkiness to develop great word of mouth and build over the course of a few weeks.

As it is, the studio will be dropping its support by the second weekend, and Moore will get a black eye for a situation that was hardly his doing...

The comic series is so fantastic... but I think it would have done far better as an indy movie with a $15 mil budget than it will with $100 mil...

You are probably right; I think as the critic had pointed out in that article, it doesn't have the appeal to a younger audience who are easily distracted these days by movies with flashy cars, hot-babes, and ultra-violence. Like you, I feel that Moore's story is ripening for disappointment at the filming level just because they are using the same old formula for making this movie as they do with every hollywood movie -- if there's a problem, throw more money at it, and it's bound to go away. Still, something inside of me hopes that we are all wrong, because this movie could be interesing if the movie adaptation closely resembles Moore's story.

It's hard to say this without coming off pompus, so I apologize in advance. It's not my intent. Unfortunately, the mass majority of people who go to see "big-budget, super-star ensemble cast" movies are not educated/well-read enough to understand many of the literary references. Some being very subtle, that the 'average movie goer' is sure to miss.

So, I agree w/ wiz that it may be better served being an indy flick.

Chris