• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dale Roberts WW Chicago Report

44 posts in this topic

Hi guys! Let me start by saying it was great to see all the boardies out in force at Chicago. Enjoyed seeing everyone. Thanks to Doc, Transplant, MCMiles, and Tupenny for helping out at the booth. Oh, and thanks to the Candy Man (Greggy) for keeping us well supplied with snacks all weekend.

What a great show. Tremendous crowd, lots of dollars flowing freely, and tons of stuff to buy. In all honesty, SDCC 2011 was never as busy as WW Chicago. Oh, I am sure the crowd was bigger, but I had multiple times where multiple people were trying to pay me at the same time.

I can honestly say this was probably one of the very best buying shows I have ever had. Purchased a small original owner collection (about a box and a half), another large group of high grade Atlas books, a very nice run of X-Men including #2 & 3, up through the reprint issues, several off which are extremely high grade. Tupenny purchased a #38 from me that several guys think has a very good shot at a 9.8. Picked up some beautiful Spider-man books, several really nice Neal Adams Batmans, a few Silver Age key Bat books (#155, 179, 189, etc), a really nice FF #18 & 20, a few Matt Baker books, a large group of nice Skywald Mags, and just lots and lots of other stuff including several very nice secondary keys. I also picked up the nicest group of Marvel Westerns from the 15 - 20 cent time period I have ever seen. I think there were about 75 books total, and the average grade is probably 9.6, with many 9.8s. All told, I think I spent somewhere over 60K at the show. Including the books I will have graded, it has to be near 125,000 - 150,000 worth of new inventory. Whatever I can get processed will be offered next weekend at Baltimore Comic Con.

I did submit several books on site, and I think the grading was pretty much right on. I have no complaints. I saw a few books graded what I consider loosely, but also saw a few books that were graded tightly. CGC was actually so busy that they stopped taking submissions on anything but Standard, Express, and Walk Thru by about noon on Saturday. Guys who showed up late were probably pretty disappointed.

Again, it was great to see everyone, and thanks to everybody who came by and shopped, and especially to those who helped or spent money.

always good to see you too, sir.

Billy, did you have your kids in tow? I almost introduced myself, but I wasn't positive it was you, and Bedrock wasn't at his booth for me to ask, per the norm.

I did very well at Dale's booth as I always do -- buying both for myself & for resale.

I've been buying from Dale for 12 years now & it is rare (if not never) when I spend less than $500 -- usually closer to $1K+ each show.

I do very well in his threads here on the Boards as well & enthusiastically recommend him to the community.

Chicago was so busy I didn't even have a chance to stop by Dale's booth for shopping, but then again, just gives me something to do in Baltimore. His booth, Harley's and a couple of others are on tap for this upcoming week. So start pricing Dale.

I bought this one Sunday from Dale.....last issue I needed to complete the Cow Puncher series.

cowp7.jpg

Thanks Dale!

Nice pick-up on the comics......Good luck at Baltimore.....we have to get ready for the big Ash Show in Indy this weekend :insane:

I bought this one Sunday from Dale.....last issue I needed to complete the Cow Puncher series.

cowp7.jpg

Thanks Dale!

Nice pick-up on the comics......Good luck at Baltimore.....we have to get ready for the big Ash Show in Indy this weekend :insane:

Thanks Mark. Wish I could do both of them...

Wow, Dale, that is quite a haul!

Great to see you in Chicago. Beautiful books you sold me!

I've also gotten some good raw GA books from Dale over the past couple years. Here's part of my Chicago haul this year, Batman 7 and Superman 5 from Dale:

mark-chicago-2011-1.jpg

It was definitely a good show for vintage material. :headbang:

Wow, Dale, that is quite a haul!

Great to see you in Chicago. Beautiful books you sold me!

I've also gotten some good raw GA books from Dale over the past couple years. Here's part of my Chicago haul this year, Batman 7 and Superman 5 from Dale:

mark-chicago-2011-1.jpg

It was definitely a good show for vintage material. :headbang:

Nice pickups Mark ^^

Dale,

Thanks to you & Watson for helping me check another book off my list. I would've introduced myself but I can be shy sometimes and that was one of them. :blush:

Here's a look at the purty book I got off the boys...

IMG_0204a.jpg

Thanks again, Sirs. You rock! (thumbs u

Oh, and thanks to the Candy Man (Greggy) for keeping us well supplied with snacks all weekend.

And I was greggy's lowly man-servant from Canada (worship) who hand delivered candy treats to Mr. Dale Roberts.

Sheesh. I looked all over Chicago for GAtor and his family but could not find them :cool: at Navy Pier, Pinocchio play, Tesla exhibit, tall ships, J. Shedd aquarium or Fine Art Institute.

Oh, and thanks to the Candy Man (Greggy) for keeping us well supplied with snacks all weekend.

And I was greggy's lowly man-servant from Canada (worship) who hand delivered candy treats to Mr. Dale Roberts.

Sheesh. I looked all over Chicago for GAtor and his family but could not find them :cool: at Navy Pier, Pinocchio play, Tesla exhibit, tall ships, J. Shedd aquarium or Fine Art Institute.

Sorry I was remiss by not mentioning the delivery man. Greggy bought, but Aardvark did all the hard work. Greggy is the laziest legend in comics.

Sorry I was remiss by not mentioning the delivery man. Greggy bought, but Aardvark did all the hard work. Greggy is the laziest legend in comics.

:D