• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vertigo Title focus? Anybody?

31 posts in this topic

The Unwritten is the best book people aren't reading right now, IMO.

I will give it a whirl on my next time through my LCS.

Yep, three TPBs so far ...

Dumb question alert.

Do publishers base keeping a title or dumping it on just the monthly sales of each issue or do they factor in the TPB sales as well? (shrug)

I lean more towards the TPB on newer titles but for an ongoing title that doesn't have a set end, I would buy the monthly issue to support it and keep it going.

Yep, three TPBs so far ...

Dumb question alert.

Do publishers base keeping a title or dumping it on just the monthly sales of each issue or do they factor in the TPB sales as well? (shrug)

I lean more towards the TPB on newer titles but for an ongoing title that doesn't have a set end, I would buy the monthly issue to support it and keep it going.

I have to think they do, especially if the TPB sells well. Most Vertigo titles do numbers that would get a DC superhero title canceled, but the TPB sales keep a lot of these titles afloat.

I wonder if there's a "slow burn" to the collectibility of Vertigo singles. Once there's a strong following for the trades, do people THEN go back and want the single issues?

YES... well kind of. Typically it's only #1 and the 1st appearances of major characters.

There is still a great divide between fans of super heroes and non-super books. It's a shame because the groups are setting a senseless limitation (unless monetary is a role and the division helps keep cost down).

I also believe that people are more likely to try a new superhero book than a vertigo book. By the time people hear the good news, it's tough to find them (Y was a good example).

Some books are in the territory of having too many issues (Hellblazer and Fables). That's where trades are more desirable and it kills the individual value .

I wasn't as fond of a lot of the vertigo books released in recent years. Exterminator wasn't my jam. Didn't care for American Vampire. The religious based book by the Russian bloke was just poor.

Pat

Didn't care for American Vampire.

Pat

A very rare instance where we disagree! American Vampire is a solid book, not YTLM level but Snyder, after explaining his brand of Vampirology, has been focusing on people for the most part in the stories. I would need to sit down and re-read all issues to make sure the story is focused, which I fear it is not, but the series has legs + the new mini with art by Sean Murphy is outstanding. American Vampire has been a better read lately than Fables has been.

Didn't care for American Vampire.

Pat

A very rare instance where we disagree! American Vampire is a solid book, not YTLM level but Snyder, after explaining his brand of Vampirology, has been focusing on people for the most part in the stories. I would need to sit down and re-read all issues to make sure the story is focused, which I fear it is not, but the series has legs + the new mini with art by Sean Murphy is outstanding. American Vampire has been a better read lately than Fables has been.

I enjoyed the non-King related story MUCH more than the King-inspired story. It was a book that wasn't horrible, but didn't feel like it was progressing enough for me to stick around. I read to #6 and called it quits.

Pat