• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is KA-ZAR a golden age character?

14 posts in this topic

In 1939, Kazar was a weak rip-off of Tarzan in Marvel Comics 1, Marvel Mystery #2 up, etc. same as today. There were also Kazar pulps from 1930s. Not sure if they were published by Blue Ribbon? pre-cursor to Timely/Atlas/Marvel Comics. hi.gif

There were also Kazar pulps from 1930s. Not sure if they were published by Blue Ribbon?hi.gif

Red Circle was the name of Goodman's pulp line. There were 3 issues of the Kazar pulp (10/36, 1/37, 6/37).

First Marvel/Atlas/Timely/Red Circle character to see print,.....

gossip.gif pre-Motion Picture Funnies! In his own title,...lasted three issues.

kazar1.jpg

kazar2.jpg

Ka-zar mad at Povert,...Ka-zar punish Povert!!

ZABU,.....Kill !!! devil.gif

poke2.gif

Oh,...and Pov,......Pulp's are the direct parents of the comic book!!!

acclaim.gif

The origin of Ka-Zar was featured in Marvel Comics #1.

"Bob Byrd's jungle character Ka-Zar was resurrected from his original three-issue Red Circle pulp run (in 1936) and rendered in comic strip form by Ben Thompson."

"Having lost his parents in an airplane crash in darkest Africa, David Rand was raised by a pride of lions (hence his name, Ka-Zar, which means brother of Zar, "the Lion") to become a tree-swinging muscular jungle lord."

- From "The Origin Of Marvel Comics" by George Olshevshy in Overstreet #10

"Bob Byrd's jungle character Ka-Zar was resurrected from his original three-issue Red Circle pulp run (in 1936) and rendered in comic strip form by Ben Thompson."

"Having lost his parents in an airplane crash in darkest Africa, David Rand was raised by a pride of lions (hence his name, Ka-Zar, which means brother of Zar, "the Lion") to become a tree-swinging muscular jungle lord."

"Check out the big-brain on Norinn!"

sam.jpg

poke2.gif

You said "are" - not "ARE". A little unsure are we?

I say comic strips ARE the direct parents of comic books and pulps were simply the knoweldge of the distribution method.

Now you wanna go another ten rouns? (MAN I hope you say yes!!!!)

I hate you! Come visit!

Pov grin.gif

"Check out the big-brain on Norinn!"

sam.jpg

poke2.gif

"Well, allow me to retort!"

SJackson.gif

I'll add to this a bit.

First appearing in his own short-lived pulp magazine in 1936, Ka-Zar made a dramatic comeback in Marvel Comics #1 (October 1939). He aped Tarzan for the first 27 issues of Marvel Mystery. Ka-Zar reappeared in X-Men #10 with a new name (Kevin Plunder) and a new cat (not Zar, but Zabu).

Ka-Zar also appeared in the first issue of Marvel's Savage Tales. His domain is the Savage Land, which was once hidden somewhere beneath the Earth but lately, in the ever-evolving Marvel cosmos, has been accesible by helicopter.

-- Comics, Between the Panels

You said "are" - not "ARE". A little unsure are we?

I say comic strips ARE the direct parents of comic books and pulps were simply the knoweldge of the distribution method.

Now you wanna go another ten rouns? (MAN I hope you say yes!!!!)

I hate you! Come visit!

Pov grin.gif

Soon as we get thru mopping the floor with Greggy at the SD Con, you & I will go at it,... "Mano e Mano!" sumo.gif