• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

End of the world, post apocolypse, and man's condition on earth future comics

67 posts in this topic

:whistle:

BReasterngroupshot.jpg

Impressive. :applause:

Thanks! Hermes Press is currently reprinting the original Buck Rogers dailies. Calkins art is crude but charming. The stories are good though and written by Philip Nowlan who created the character in the prose story "Armageddon AD 2419" in a 1928 Issue of Amazing Stories.

http://www.amazon.com/Buck-Rogers-25th-Century-Newspaper/dp/1932563199

Unlike the post-nuclear apocalypse of the 1979 TV show, the original stories had western civilization destroyed by a conquering invasion of an Asian people known as the Han. This type of "Yellow Peril" racial dystopia was a fairly common theme in the early 20th century (Jack London and others wrote stories along those lines), but Nowlan was probably one of the first to put a true SF spin on it. I think there is little doubt that the Buck Rogers strip had a tremendous influence on all of the post-apocalyptic fiction that followed it.

X-Men 141, 142...Days of Future Past. Must've reread that story a dozen times.

One of my all time favorites. :cloud9:

Y: The Last Man is a good read as well.

+100. A classic and if I was DC/Warner I start concentating on making a movie of this. I could at least see a trilogy of movies.

Was there ever an Atomic Knights reprint trade / collection?

DC published a hardcover reprint edition this year.

:whistle:

BReasterngroupshot.jpg

Impressive. :applause:

Thanks! Hermes Press is currently reprinting the original Buck Rogers dailies. Calkins art is crude but charming. The stories are good though and written by Philip Nowlan who created the character in the prose story "Armageddon AD 2419" in a 1928 Issue of Amazing Stories.

http://www.amazon.com/Buck-Rogers-25th-Century-Newspaper/dp/1932563199

Unlike the post-nuclear apocalypse of the 1979 TV show, the original stories had western civilization destroyed by a conquering invasion of an Asian people known as the Han. This type of "Yellow Peril" racial dystopia was a fairly common theme in the early 20th century (Jack London and others wrote stories along those lines), but Nowlan was probably one of the first to put a true SF spin on it. I think there is little doubt that the Buck Rogers strip had a tremendous influence on all of the post-apocalyptic fiction that followed it.

Those are awesome Theagenes :applause: I didn't think Buck Rogers story took place on earth though. I just thought he was a space man hero of the future.... kinda Star Trek like (shrug)