• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CONAN the Barbarian 3D...

85 posts in this topic

Well maybe it was the drinks but I didn't think it was as bad as many of the critics were saying. Not great by any means but it was fun mindless entertainment.

I need more than mindless entertainment. Especially when there is so much potential for rich story, character development and adventure. I won't bother to watch this one. What a shame.

Yeah, after waiting so long for this it was was reall letdown because I know what the potential. The sad thing is Momoa, really is good as Conan. I wish he would get the chance to do a real Conan film with a decent director and a good -script (based on REH), but that will probably never happen now. :(

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Well maybe it was the drinks but I didn't think it was as bad as many of the critics were saying. Not great by any means but it was fun mindless entertainment.

I need more than mindless entertainment. Especially when there is so much potential for rich story, character development and adventure. I won't bother to watch this one. What a shame.

Why is it Hollywood doesn't get this?

All they have to do is read some of the books, or even some of the comics and just make that story into a movie. Even the acting can be average ( see Conan 1982 Ah-nold which holds up ). As I said earlier it just isn't about stringing together some heavily CGI's action scenes.

It is just unfortunate that the players with the money call to many of the shots.

All they have to do is read some of the books, or even some of the comics and just make that story into a movie. Even the acting can be average ( see Conan 1982 Ah-nold which holds up ). As I said earlier it just isn't about stringing together some heavily CGI's action scenes.

It is just unfortunate that the players with the money call to many of the shots.

I tried to reread some of the REH books that I loved as a teen, and they did not hold up to the test of time. Not sure if REH was a good writer, or just writing about subjects that were novel for their time.

Good to hear. Maybe I'll see it at a cheap matinee during the week.

It might work out better if a film company outside of Hollywood put a Conan movie together. It won't happen, but a lower budget takes away the temptation to run a CGI-athon and forces story.

I think that was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. And I'm a insufficiently_thoughtful_person thats very easily entertained.

+1

It was just plain horrible. I caught an afternoon showing today and there were maybe 10 people in the theater (and we're talking opening weekend in Manhattan). I guess people who saw the lame trailers were asking themselves why this movie needed to be remade. Being a huge Conan and REH fan (I read the original REH stories before I even discovered comic books), I had to see the film, but I'm not sure why anyone else was there. At the end of the film, one person started clapping, but nobody else joined in. It was just mind-numbingly awful.

The plot and main story are both awful and bare scant resemblance to anything either in REH's original stories or in the comics. It felt like it was written by some Hollywood screenwriters who did maybe 2 days of cramming about Conan before putting pen to paper, with the result that it just seemed like a generic medieval swords and sandals type flick instead of the Hyborian Age we all know and love. Momoa does a decent job of physically acting out Conan, but looks like he's trying too hard whenever he opens his mouth. The dialogue is horrible. There is not much in the way of any character development. I thought the first scene in which the adult Conan appears was way out of character as well. The costumes and sets look very cheap. Nothing in the movie looked or felt like Conan. Which, I could have overlooked had the rest of the movie actually been good, but, sadly, it wasn't.

Stephen Lang's Khalar Zym villain was terribly generic and nothing uniquely Hyborian Age about him at all. Rose McGowan's character was similarly bad with her stupid Freddie Krueger claws. Rachel Nichols - I'm a fan, but her character was generic and a throwaway - why not at least have made her a priestess of Mitra instead of some generic monk-in-training? There was just so little that distinguished this film as being "Conan". Occasionally they would throw in the name of a place like Ophir, though even the description/inferences of such didn't actually match up with what we know about Ophir.

The post-production 3-D conversion was utterly hapless and pointless. You can watch most of the film without the glasses on as there is very little that is actually in 3-D.

Just a major letdown all around. I'll need to re-watch the Arnold film to get this stinker out of my mind. :mad:

Well, I hope Hollywood does a better job with ERB's John Carter, Warlord of Mars. Hopefully, it won't be a stinker like Scorpion King 2 :roflmao: with your generic wrestler as the villian. Have not had the displeasure of seeing Conan 3D and I am a big REH fan of the BWS and John Buscema Conans and Savage Sword (thumbs u run.

I've posted my thoughts on this weekend's debacle at the REHupa blog. Not so much a review as a stream-of-conciousness cathartic word dump.

http://www.rehupa.com/?p=2865

Very well presented article. I agree that the HBO, Starz series would be best. IMO Howard's original stories would make great one or two story arcs. Tight, good storylines based on Howard's vision are key.

We'll on BoxOfficeMojo.com it's doing a pathetic $10 million for the opening weekend on a 90 million dollar budget! lol

What a box office flop! :(

Will probably do in the area of $50 mil. Then we have overseas and DVD/Blu-ray sales. It won't be a $$$$ loser......