• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which comics are way underpriced ?

252 posts in this topic

I'm not saying ASM1 shouldn't be worth more than X-men1 but it's prettyuch twice as much. That seems a little too much to me. In my mind, they should be much closer (shrug)

If you look at some recent sales, the prices aren't that far apart. I believe the last two ASM #1 sales were in the $85-100K range. And a couple X-Men #1s in 9.4 sold for around $100K each. And 9.0 sales for each book have been pretty close too.

I know Overstreet has a substantial difference in the guide values ($30,000 for X-Men #1 vs. $54,000 for ASM #1) but actual sales prices tell another story.

I was looking qt GPA when i wrote that and they seem to have a pretty big disparity between the 2 (shrug)

Last GPA sales for the 2:

6.0-x-men1($3585 July2011) VS. ASM1($6000 Dec.2010)

7.0- x-men1($4481'July2011) vs. ASM1($11,500'August2011)

8.5- x-men 1( $16,400 April 2011) VS. ASM1($29,875 feb.2011)

9.0- x-men1 ($25,752 Feb.2011) vs. ASM1($38,838 August2011)

The nosebleed grades are pretty close but basically every grade from 9.0 down you have to plunk down a heck of a lot more money for a ASM1.

Fair enough, you're right. I guess I've only been paying attention to the nosebleed grades. To me, that's where the fun is.

I'm not saying ASM1 shouldn't be worth more than X-men1 but it's prettyuch twice as much. That seems a little too much to me. In my mind, they should be much closer (shrug)

If you look at some recent sales, the prices aren't that far apart. I believe the last two ASM #1 sales were in the $85-100K range. And a couple X-Men #1s in 9.4 sold for around $100K each. And 9.0 sales for each book have been pretty close too.

I know Overstreet has a substantial difference in the guide values ($30,000 for X-Men #1 vs. $54,000 for ASM #1) but actual sales prices tell another story.

I was looking qt GPA when i wrote that and they seem to have a pretty big disparity between the 2 (shrug)

The nosebleed grades are pretty close but basically every grade from 9.0 down you have to plunk down a heck of a lot more money for a ASM1.

Fair enough, you're right. I guess I've only been paying attention to the nosebleed grades. To me, that's where the fun is.

lol unfortunately for me theres no point to pay attention to the nosebleed grades so i watch the lower graded copies :sorry:

Furthermore, how on Earth did you ever come to speculate that Marvel might be out of business without the new X-Men?

:gossip: They nearly went bankrupt with the X-books.

Even today, X-Men related titles make up close to half the monthly sales.

July 2011

I can't afford the runny nose copies of either book. Im having NO FUN!

X-men 1

I never understand why its basically worth half as much as ASM1 (shrug)

X-men are pretty much just as popular as Spidey at this point and it's their actual 1st appearance(and magneto's) unlike ASM1.

Very true. Prices have gone up a bit since the movie came out, but it's been rather stagnant for years...

Spidey has had far longer sustained popularity than X-Men. Someday, X-Men 1 may catch up, or not. (shrug)

X-Men will always have the problem that it's basically a failed comic.

The original team are pretty insufferable (and still to this day).

Magneto's the only saving grace.

Majority of collectors consider GS Xmen 1 and Xmen 94 as the Xmen keys and

ignore Xmen 1.

I am one. X-Men 1 is over valued as a key. Think about it, the title did not last and was revived with 95% new characters. If GS 1 and X-Men 94 did not take off like they did Dardevil 1 would be SMOKING that book. The revamp of the X-Men saved those characters.

Really?

I love X-men #1.

Questions: How many of the original Avengers characters are still Avengers? How about JLA et al for other super teams?

Iron Man- Avenger

Thor- Avenger

Ant-Man/Giant Man/ Yellowjacket- Avenger

Wasp- Deceased

Captain America- Avenger

Hawkeye-Avenger

Hulk- no longer Avenger

Scarlett Witch- Deceased

Quicksilver- wanted for various crimes

The core of the Avengers are ALL still avengers in current comics.

For me staring at nose bleed grade keys is like staring at Eva Mendes, only without the happy ending. They're things I want but will never have.

It still baffles me why ASM 1 destroys X-Men 1 price wise.

The first appearance of an extremely popular team, which includes the first appearance of Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, the Beast, Angel, Prof X, and Magneto

vs.

NOT the first appearance of Spider-man.

Can anyone explain this?

There have been threads about this before. In general, if you collect Spidey, you want a Spidey #1.

When putting together a run of X-Men, a lot of folks only complete a run of new X-Men (GS1 and Uncanny 94 being the two big books).

More people collect Spidey than X-men, especially the old team, so demand for ASM 1 exceeds X-men 1.

Spidey 1 features the 1st Chamelon, 1st Marvel x-over (the FF), 1st John Jameson (later becomes Man-Wolf), and most important of all, 1st appearance of JJJ :applause:

You're probably as biased for ASM as I am for x-men but really?!?

Chameleon, man-wolf and JJJ compared to 1st Prof.X, Magneto, cyclops, Jean Grey, Angel, beast AND Iceman?

Please don't focus only on the last point of my previous response as if to dismiss the relevance of ASM #1. The other points are far more important.

On the subject of X-men, that created the whole mutant world right? Mutants are an extremely important and integral part of the Marvel universe. That's one other thing that makes X-Men 1 an important book.

Really? The 194? The half killed off race?

The X-Men are self contained at this point. The left NY and live in CA now, stay in X-titles only. And the books are getting worse. I have to drop another of the titles, I just cant keep reading it.

The X-Men are on track to pull a houdini. The stories stink, the artists are so-so. They need help, bad!

Seriously. Brubakers DD destroyed anything the X-Men have been part of since the X-tinction agenda. Quote me.

It still baffles me why ASM 1 destroys X-Men 1 price wise.

The first appearance of an extremely popular team, which includes the first appearance of Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, the Beast, Angel, Prof X, and Magneto

vs.

NOT the first appearance of Spider-man.

Can anyone explain this?

There have been threads about this before. In general, if you collect Spidey, you want a Spidey #1.

When putting together a run of X-Men, a lot of folks only complete a run of new X-Men (GS1 and Uncanny 94 being the two big books).

More people collect Spidey than X-men, especially the old team, so demand for ASM 1 exceeds X-men 1.

Spidey 1 features the 1st Chamelon, 1st Marvel x-over (the FF), 1st John Jameson (later becomes Man-Wolf), and most important of all, 1st appearance of JJJ :applause:

You're probably as biased for ASM as I am for x-men but really?!?

Chameleon, man-wolf and JJJ compared to 1st Prof.X, Magneto, cyclops, Jean Grey, Angel, beast AND Iceman?

Please don't focus only on the last point of my previous response as if to dismiss the relevance of ASM #1. The other points are far more important.

ASM 1 destroys X-Men 1. The start of Marvels second longest running book, and most popular characters monthly. There are 50 spidey collectors to every X-Men.

On the subject of X-men, that created the whole mutant world right? Mutants are an extremely important and integral part of the Marvel universe. That's one other thing that makes X-Men 1 an important book.

The X-Men are self contained at this point. The left NY and live in CA now, stay in X-titles only. And the books are getting worse. I have to drop another of the titles, I just cant keep reading it.

The X-Men are on track to pull a houdini. The stories stink, the artists are so-so. They need help, bad!

Seriously. Brubakers DD destroyed anything the X-Men have been part of since the X-tinction agenda. Quote me.

That might be the case but the X-men/Mutant concept drove storytelling for years throughout Marvel. 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's.

Don't underestimate how large the mutant factor is: Wolverine, Inhumans, etc.

As far as who was an original member and who is currently in the line-up, those things always change.

ASM 1 destroys X-Men 1. The start of Marvels second longest running book, and most popular characters monthly. There are 50 spidey collectors to every X-Men.

Is that hyperbole?

No way. Maybe you don't know me yet, but I am NOT a spidey fan. I prefer X-Men, they got me into comics. But if you follow the market for back issues, spidey wins. X-Men are second in the Marvel Universe IMO.

That might be the case but the X-men/Mutant concept drove storytelling for years throughout Marvel. 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's.

As far as who was an original member and who is currently in the line-up, those things always change.

I know that Roy, but they have not been doing this book justice for quite some time. And I read on a monthly basis X-Men and Uncanny. Read the new X-Force, skipped uncanny X-Force. I read wolverine, read astonihing (the best x-men book since forever), and read the new x-men title as well. I am not speaking as anything other than a constant reader.

I know that Roy, but they have not been doing this book justice for quite some time. And I read on a monthly basis X-Men and Uncanny. Read the new X-Force, skipped uncanny X-Force. I read wolverine, read astonihing (the best x-men book since forever), and read the new x-men title as well. I am not speaking as anything other than a constant reader.

Fair enough, I read some Astonishing and liked it. I haven't been a hard core reader in some time as I've been too busy these past few years.

Still, it's not the modern reader who is laying down 4, 5 and 6 figures for an X-men #1 or a Spidey #1. It's those guys that grew up reading those decades old stories that are plunking down the cash today, and those decades old stories are full of mutants and X-men crossovers that pull on the nostalgia strings.

That's my point.

Lots of people think ASM sucks today but that doesn't stop ASM #1 from being a chase book. I think the case is the same for X-men.

Wolverine, Hulk #181, GSX #1, X #94...all that stuff is traced back to X-men #1. It is by me anyway. You're the next generation so maybe you see it differently.

(thumbs u

Is that hyperbole?

No way. Maybe you don't know me yet, but I am NOT a spidey fan. I prefer X-Men, they got me into comics. But if you follow the market for back issues, spidey wins. X-Men are second in the Marvel Universe IMO.

I don't doubt the possibility that Spider-man outsells any single X-book, but literally by a factor of 50? Are you making this claim over all the X-books?

Really I think there are fair points to be made on both sides.

The X-Men name is an iconic label, and by far the most popular team in all of comics. X-Men 1 is the first appearance of that team. It has a legit first appearance of seven major Marvel characters. It spawned the the world of mutants, which became an extremely important part of the Marvel universe.

Mind you, Spider-man is the single most popular character in comics and his name recognition extends far beyond, even to pop-culture. He's right up there with Superman and Batman. But again, it cannot be ignored that ASM 1 is not his first appearance.

AF15 without a doubt should be destroying XM 1 price wise. But ASM 1? I agree with the poster who said perhaps it should outprice it, but not by as much as it does.

Fair enough, I read some Astonishing and liked it. I haven't been a hard core reader in some time as I've been too busy these past few years.

Still, it's not the modern reader who is laying down 4, 5 and 6 figures for an X-men #1 or a Spidey #1. It's those guys that grew up reading those decades old stories that are plunking down the cash today, and those decades old stories are full of mutants and X-men crossovers that pull on the nostalgia strings.

That's my point.

Lots of people think ASM sucks today but that doesn't stop ASM #1 from being a chase book. I think the case is the same for X-men.

Wolverine, Hulk #181, GSX #1, X #94...all that stuff is traced back to X-men #1. It is by me anyway. You're the next generation so maybe you see it differently.

(thumbs u

That is my point. It does not matter what todays price is for me, im young. The books that carry much weight today, may not 10 years from now. And the books people in there teens are reading now will shape the back issues they chase later. Walking Dead #1 COULD be this generations CS22, think about it. But books like X-Men and ASM are not going to be sought after by current readers, or even the McFarlane/Lee generation like myself.

The more I watch the collectors in my age group the more diversity I see. I see more SS collectors, more sketch collectors, more horror and GGA collectors in the years to come. The superhero stuff is nostalgic as well, but even guys like Spidey on tilt have changed gears in time. I grew up with X-Men 94 and GS1 as my grails (and hulk181). I could give a rats arse less about those books now. I will own a copy of each, just to own it. But I will plunk my cash down on books that have more historic importance in the comic genre.

But what do I know, im 33 and an old fart already.

You might not like what they've been doing with the X-books, but the historic aspect of X-men 1 and its impact on the comic world has been absolutely enormous.

It's the same reason Action 1 has consistently been the grail of grails even when sales of Superman comics have been dismal.