• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nov Heritage auction

217 posts in this topic

November auction preview is up:

http://comics.ha.com/common/search_results.php?Ntk=SI_Titles&N=52+792+4294953997+1067&chkNotSold=0&Ns=

Two standouts for me...

The best DKR panel page Heritage has gotten so far: http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7039&lotIdNo=34001

Key page from X-MEN #137: http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7039&lotIdNo=35002

I say that DKR page goes for 40K. As a huge DKR fan, I have to say that I haven't been blown away by any of their panel pages. That being said, I agree that this is the best DKR panel page that they have gotten so far.

Great preview!

I wonder what motivates these collectors to sell these high end pieces in the perceivibly weak economy? I'd think some collectors are holding onto and managing their pieces like their 401k, not panicking with a dip in the market and patient optimism for a rebound in the horizon.

I'd imaging, in a down economy there's still the upper echelon of collectors who see the state of the economy as a potential buying opportunity whether as an investment or to secure sought after artwork at desired prices.

So, although there's rarely a firesale on high end pieces, the market probably won't bear that through the laws of supply and demand for these one-of-a-kind nostalgic collectibles - - but are there bargains out there for collectors who are cash rich?

Is this a sellers market or a buyers market?

From that it seems like based on the Herritage Auctions of the past week, there's no shortage of cash for good pieces.

I always wonder when's the best time to buy, sell and trade. With sports cards, it's easier to see trends based on actual stats, facts and popularity - and timing is crucial in that industry for investors to navigate in and out of the "aging veterans", "up and coming prospects" and those "has beens that never was" - - In comic books is there similar trends with characters and artists?

Any trendy artists or characters who were the toast of the town that are now in the sunset of their popularity?

Is Deadpool built to last as a sustainable character? Fables? Witchblade?

Is Jim Lee a good investment? Adam Hughes? Phil Jimenez? Amanda Conner?

Are the "Hall of Fame" proven veterans the way to go, like Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, as well as Super-Hero mainstays like Spider-Man, Batman and The X-Men?

Or are there hidden gems that are being overlooked? Indie press? Adult Underground? EC Horror? Archie Humor? Teen Romance? Characters turned to TV/Movies?

Are up and coming characters and rising star artists found at such publishers like Zenescope, Dynamite, Image, Dark Horse, Aspen, IDW, and Top Cow?

I'd be curious to see what type of art will be in the 2031 Herrirage Auction catalog in 20 years from now that's going to command the biggest gains...

I don't know if that's a fair thing to say Ruben...you know if you have a family, children to support and hopefully to leave an inheritance to, it's important to spend your investment money wisely...

I know an older guy who has a $100 mil collection (!!!) of fine art. I'm honored he showed it to me. He told me 'any art purchase over $100 is an investment, spend it wisely'.

I personally don't have the luxury of spending $20,000 on a piece of art that will be worth $2000 in 20 years, and tell my family, 'well it doesn't matter that YOU lost 18K (plus interest), I enjoyed it all these years.

Curious question, Ruben-- do you have children? If you don't, I can see how your reality is different from those of us who do.

We care about the art. But you can read the books and enjoy the art (I do). What we do here is different. When we spend 1-5-10-20-50-450K, we are investing.

I'm with AKA Rick. He's asking all the right questions.

Rob

Of course it does. Of course. We are no longer paying $20-35 for a page of art like it was 30 years ago.

Only a fool would spend $10,000-100,000 on an investment and not consider the future potential for profit or at least keeping up with inflation.

I wonder what motivates these collectors to sell these high end pieces in the perceivibly weak economy? I'd think some collectors are holding onto and managing their pieces like their 401k, not panicking with a dip in the market and patient optimism for a rebound in the horizon.

I'd imaging, in a down economy there's still the upper echelon of collectors who see the state of the economy as a potential buying opportunity whether as an investment or to secure sought after artwork at desired prices.

So, although there's rarely a firesale on high end pieces, the market probably won't bear that through the laws of supply and demand for these one-of-a-kind nostalgic collectibles - - but are there bargains out there for collectors who are cash rich?

The weak economy cuts both ways. While the overall stock market may be down about 15% from its recent peak, many individual stocks are already down 20-50% from recent highs (and most stocks are down further still from their all-time highs). Maybe these sellers are thinking that they can still get close to top dollar for quality art/collectibles and that they'd rather sell those instead of stocks and real estate at beaten-down prices (not that they couldn't go lower still, of course...)

And, maybe they saw most art/collectibles/commodities/hard assets peak about 8 months after the broad stock market peaked in late 2007 and are trying to get in front of a potential turn in prices lower if this stock decline continues. It's like Rob said - we're not paying $20-$35 a page for art anymore. At today's prices, everybody has valuation at least partially in mind, and so OA is going to be more susceptible to the vagaries of the stock market and economic conditions than ever before. Anyone who thinks otherwise by looking at past conditions, which have changed and no longer apply, is just fooling themselves.

Anyway, to answer your question, it is still a seller's market in OA - and that is why people are selling. Smart sellers know that it's best to sell when you can at favorable prices, not when you have to. It's not like there are a bunch of "marquee" pieces in the Nov. Heritage sale, but rather a lot of "interesting lots", as Wesley said. Those "interesting lots" can still fetch good money now, but may not weather a downturn as well as those "marquee" pieces, so I can see why people might think that is a great time to be selling these kinds of pieces if they fear a downturn coming. hm

If the hobby was just about the aesthetics art and not about the money, value or ownership, then having a digital image, a high quality print or reprint would satisfy the needs of that fan or collector - or just having access to looking at the image would satisfy the art fan.

Fortunately or unfortunately, when a person spends equal or more money on a piece of paper that weighs less than 8 oz, than an equivalent commodity at the same weight such as silver or gold, or it takes a person 3 months salary to buy this piece of paper called artwork, it should be seen as, treated and respected as an investment - - yes, one that can be appreciated and enjoyed, but something of more intrinsic value than the piece of paper its printed on nonetheless.

So, the questions posed was not out of the pure money play of greed, but was inquisitive in both strategic planning and identifying trends, hoping for shared insight to what people who've been in the hobby for years if not decades or have handled dozens if not hundreds or even thousands of pieces and discuss the marketplace.

The questions were not posed to offend...

I also think it is relevant when deciding to buy up. For example, I just bought some art and now I need to sell some to pay for it. I certainly want to maximize the amount I receive so I can buy more, better pieces. I thought it was a fair and a good question.

Great preview!

Are you serious, after record-breaking price after record-breaking price recently?

Your question makes it sound like OA prices have been crashing recently in sync with the economy, when in fact they've been surging to new highs and seem to be completely unaffected by the economy's malaise.

The sellers aren't panicking. They're gettin' out while the gettin's good. :gossip:

I don't know if that's a fair thing to say Ruben...you know if you have a family, children to support and hopefully to leave an inheritance to, it's important to spend your investment money wisely...

And why exactly is that unfair? You aren't denying that the conversations here tend to lean more towards the value than the art itself, you are just explaining WHY things go that way. Are you saying that the perception I was talking about doesn't exist or that you just don't hold that view? I don't think my comment was unfair I think you had a defensive reaction to it because you don't like the connotation.

If you have "investment" money to spend then spending it in a speculative hobby is most likely not a good idea. Each person has to decide for themselves what to do with their money and what they can afford. It's just disheartening to see something of aesthetic, sentimental or historic value almost always being boiled down to dollars. That being said I realize it was a mistake to post my initial comment on this forum.

As values have risen many investment-minded people have entered the hobby causing values to go up even more. There are also those that only buy art that is considered valuable by others for whatever personal reasons. To me, that indicates that value, not artwork is more important to those collectors. To choose which art to buy based on future value as the primary selection criteria (as the post I was replying to implied) is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. Whether it was intended that way or not that was the impression I got and it was consistent with what I feel the prevailing attitude is.

Everyone collects for their own reasons. I'm not looking to disparage or pick a fight with anyone. I just find it funny that people take offense to a comment like I made here. Not because it isn't true IMO but because they don't want to be perceived that way.