• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your convention style

39 posts in this topic

Hi. I brought this up on one of the Wondercon threads (above) but I thought it made an interesting subject so I am starting a new thread.

Here is the question. What is your convention style? In other words, do you prepare a list in advance and go buy strictly what is on your want list? Do you go just to look, with no pre-conceived idea of what you will buy - just whatever looks cool? Does it matter to you what you buy if it is just a good deal that you can flip for more on Ebay. Are you looking for cheap reader copies? Going to get your comics signed by the pros? Are you just window shopping to get ideas and then running home to buy on Ebay? Looking strictly for "slabbable" high grades? I'm just curious about how you shop at the cons and how well you stick to your plans.

As for me, I have a loosely built want list. For now it is mostly Bronze horror and romance with a few additional odds and ends mixed in. Along with any sexy chick art in any era of comics. Some to sell and some to keep. But knowing me, I'll see all kinds of cool comic-related items and little things here and there that I'll buy, just 'cuz it's cool, bring it home, play with it, throw it in a drawer and then wonder why I even bought so much non-comic junk.

How about you guys? ------Sid

Last year's Toronto Comicon was the first convention I've been to since Dale Keown invented Pitt.

I pretty much just wandered around to see what dealers had for sale. In the end....I spent $30 on 60 fifty cent books. cloud9.gif

I go to butter up the CGC guys so that they will give my books better grades when I submit them.

Tried that. Didn't work. Think I received lower grades and definitely waited even longer. foreheadslap.gif

I always have a list and follow the same basic flow.

1. Go through quickly looking at what books are on the back wall. If I see a key Batman I need to upgrade and know is hard to find, I buy it on the spot.

2. Take a second pass looking at the books I have been trying to find for some time but can't (assuming any are at the convention).

3. Look at original art.

4. Start digging through the boxes for hidden treasures.

My want list is:

1. Batman's I need to upgrade

2. Key wantlist items (for example, Adventure 44 or Red Dragon 3).

3. Misc silver age including Spiderman, Daredevil, Journey into Mystery, etc.

4. Original artwork, especially Sprang and Norm Breyfogle

Well, "butter" is kind of a misnomer. I should have specified Shedd's Spread Light.

And what exactly do you do to "butter them up"? devil.gif

I go to butter up the CGC guys so that they will give my books better grades when I submit them. insane.gif

have..to..resist...joke.....

Well, "butter" is kind of a misnomer. I should have specified Shedd's Spread Light.

I go to butter up the CGC guys so that they will give my books better grades when I submit them. insane.gif

With that meatball I left hanging over the plate? You are a better man than I.

Which one? The one about "Shedd's Spread" or perhaps something along the lines of: "Oh, you said 'Country CRock!"

blush.gif

Oh come on, Clark. You can do better. I've seen it too many times. What are you doing, watching an engrossing TV program and trying to post at the same time? This is not your best work. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Which one? The one about "Shedd's Spread" or perhaps something along the lines of: "Oh, you said 'Country CRock!"

blush.gif

Go to your room.

Oh come on, Clark. You can do better. I've seen it too many times. What are you doing, watching an engrossing TV program and trying to post at the same time? This is not your best work.

Sorry mom... sorry.gif

Well my approach will change this year. First I will print out my pre-code horror checklist. Next I will finalize and printout a basic GA Superhero, Crime, Romance, Adventure (genre like Rangers, Dagar Desert Hawk, etc) and SF list - the latter is new collecting area for me this tme around. I used to have Timely and DC Superhero (hope to tap into the Fox, MLJ, Fawcett etc. titles).

But I have to say - I have been sabotaged by the GA people. They started some really cool horror topics and suddenly pre-code horror is back up as main priority.

BUT - I think what I shall do to satisfy the horror monkey is seek the other genres that have "horrific" covers - of which there are many.

Go to your room.

Okay, but the first sign of a spanking and you will be found a very grave man in the morning!

893naughty-thumb.gif

This thread is beginning to make me uncomfortable. (FFB clears throat nervously and walks away.)

Poverty, are you buying many EC horror books? Those are the only Golden Age books (are they really Golden Age?) that I ever buy. -----Sid

They are both Golden Age and Atom Age. Atom Age is almost like a dialect of GA instead of a separate language!

Since I do a "type set" - one copy of each title, I only have a few ECs to collect and have the luxury of getting fave issues. However, my "type set" is strict so I see the 3-D Tales From the Crypt of Terror and the Tales of Terror Annual as separate titles and danged hard to find in decent shape and decent money. frown.gif