• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's on your current commission list?

159 posts in this topic

Are JSCampbell and Darwyn Cooke doing commissions? I saw they are going to be at LBCC and would love to get something from them. Any idas best way to try to contact them? --Paul

I don't know about Cooke, but JSC gets his commission list booked up within like minutes of the opening of a Con, so hurry up to his booth first if you want something drawn by him (unless you can score a reservation beforehand).

Who do you have working on commissions at the moment. UPDATED

My current list

Tom Nguyen (xmen 141 Poster Wall with Birds of Prey)

Matt Kirscht (101 Dalmations movie poster with cats) FINISHED

Tressa Bowling ( xmen 141 Teen Titans poster wall)

]Chris Moreno (Hulk wanted poster) FINISHED

Cary Nord (Milla Jovovich Alice poster wall) FINISHED

Chrissie Zullo (Cinderella Wanted poster) FINISHED

Tim Grayson (Milla Jovovich poster wall) FINISHED

Darryl Banks (GL wanted poster)

Jason Baroody (Watchmen poster wall)

Jeremy Bastain (Cursed Pirate Girl wanted poster)

Quick update to get this thread back on track. This is a who's on your list, let's keep it going.

Are JSCampbell and Darwyn Cooke doing commissions? I saw they are going to be at LBCC and would love to get something from them. Any idas best way to try to contact them? --Paul

Darwyn Cooke was not doing commissions at the Con. He was pretty much set-up at the IDW booth or the Heroes Initiative booth all weekend. He'd sign books for free or donation to the Heroes Initiative. You could also buy a Parker limited edition print which we would add a hand-made water color tinting to it. If you bought the limited edition Parker: Martini Edition HC, he did really quick head sketches on it too. Didn't see if he did the same if you brought over an Absolute New Frontier HC since mostly people had the new Parker stuff for him to sign.

JSC had a nice steady line throughout the day, but since he stationed at the entrance of the Con, I didn't see his list or pricing. He did stay all the way to the end of the convention hours to sign people's items.

Having achieved a few commission/con sketch goals this year with pieces by David Finch, Terry Dodson, Dave Johnson and what I consider to be a Frank Cho "grail" piece, I'm now hoping to (eventually) acquire commissions from:

Jim Cheung

J. Scott Campbell (I can dream :))

I managed to whittle down both, the list of who I want commissions from, and who I am on the list for who owes me a commission, down to a few names...

1) Jim Steranko... who I want, but am not sure how to go about getting one.

2) Bill Sienkiewicz... who still owes me my paid-in-advance commission, it's not been quite a year yet, but I've not received responses to my multiple emailed communication for several months. In the beginning he was very good, if not excellent in responding to emails. He's also gracious at convention appearances. I'm fairly confident he'll come through 'tho.

I had a few artists on my list that I was in the unfortunate position of pre-paying with that felt like pulling teeth just to get communication, and enduring the whole run-around of "I'm working on it" (in similar vein to hearing "the check's in the mail" from deadbeats looking to buy time) at every encounter, whether at a convention or via email.

So, moving forward, I'm saving myself the aggravation and heart-ache and minimizing if not eliminating the whole pay-in-advance unless it's from an artist I've dealt with before or comes with professional credentials of a reliable track record for honoring timelines with quality work, professional communication and timely performance.

I bought a Greg LaRouque commission from him via eBay, and it took longer than the time permitted to request a refund via the eBay Buyer's Protection and Pay Pal system allows for, so went from an empowered customer, to an exposed consumer.

He did come through for me however, not without constant emailed communication asking for status updates. He sent some extra gifts too, some signed comics and his sketchbook. He as always gracious in his communication. I'd recommend emailing monthly for updates 'til you get it completed. You stay top of mind, and I think that's respectful, not crossing the boarder of persistent and pest.

It seems like for commissions these days, the burden has now become on the customer to continue reminding artists of the paid for commitments, and without it, if left up to the artist, sometimes I think it's almost like the "Mail-In Rebate" system, where the marketers assume there's a certain percentage of customers who don't or won't mail in for their rebate, so that financial windfall goes straight to their bottom line, that with artists it's the same, but maybe not as tactical, but regardless is the same situationally, but worst, since the ball is in the assumptive court of the artist since payment is already made, and many comic book commission art collectors are very docile individuals with the patience of saints and temperament of an easy victim.

Tommy Castillo - commissioned in April

Greg LaRouque - 2 11x17 1-character sketches since Sept. 2010 (worrying that these won't actually get done)

1) Jim Steranko... who I want, but am not sure how to go about getting one.

I am Jim Steranko's agent. Have been for many years.

He does commissions but there is a wait and they aren't cheap.

you can email me through vanguardproductions.net (email vanguard) or message me through facebook.

J. David Spurlock

Agent of STERANKO

Royd, a J. Scott Campbell convention commission is a very achievable goal. He's been very prolific in his convention appearances across the country (USA) this year.

He usually completes anywhere from 1-5 per day at a show, depending on his obligations.

There's usually somewhat formal structure to his system.

When the show opens, people stand in line. He usually takes a list of peoples names, and the characters they want.

Sometimes he quotes prices, ranging from $300-500, depending on the complexity, generally that gets you a piece on one of those blank comic book sketch covers, a sketchbook or standard paper he has, and it's usually a head to head/bust. No full figures or anything elaborate in size or multiple characters nor backgrounds. The rendering is generally high-end quality, so not a quick marker sketch, he pencils, then inks and either renders pencil tonals or uses copic markers for quality embelishments.

Generally speaking, he usually does it the way Adam Hughes used to, which is/was to take a longer list than he could hope to fulfill, but give him the ability to skip up and down the list based on which characters he wanted to draw, and basically also who he wanted to draw for as well (so, sort of enabling him to avoid drawing for the same people over and over again who are 1st in line, and get more sketches out to a broader base of fans). It's a fairly fair system, no cash up front and a somewhat equal opportunity to most who show up, not allowing folks with exhibitor bages, press passes, or the people who line up before the sun rises that squat the lines hours early, to get a competitive advantage over the casual fan. The list usually stops at about 10-20 names/requests usually, so you still need to get there early, just not super early. I think also, he has a decent memory, so if he sees you enough, you become top of mind and probably get added consideration if you've never gotten a piece and provide him with that respectful patience that sometimes ends up rewarded in this hobby.

Having achieved a few commission/con sketch goals this year with pieces by David Finch, Terry Dodson, Dave Johnson and what I consider to be a Frank Cho "grail" piece, I'm now hoping to (eventually) acquire commissions from:

Jim Cheung

I bought a Greg LaRouque commission from him via eBay, and it took longer than the time permitted to request a refund via the eBay Buyer's Protection and Pay Pal system allows for, so went from an empowered customer, to an exposed consumer.

He did come through for me however, not without constant emailed communication asking for status updates. He sent some extra gifts too, some signed comics and his sketchbook. He as always gracious in his communication. I'd recommend emailing monthly for updates 'til you get it completed. You stay top of mind, and I think that's respectful, not crossing the boarder of persistent and pest.

It seems like for commissions these days, the burden has now become on the customer to continue reminding artists of the paid for commitments, and without it, if left up to the artist, sometimes I think it's almost like the "Mail-In Rebate" system, where the marketers assume there's a certain percentage of customers who don't or won't mail in for their rebate, so that financial windfall goes straight to their bottom line, that with artists it's the same, but maybe not as tactical, but regardless is the same situationally, but worst, since the ball is in the assumptive court of the artist since payment is already made, and many comic book commission art collectors are very docile individuals with the patience of saints and temperament of an easy victim.

Tommy Castillo - commissioned in April

Greg LaRouque - 2 11x17 1-character sketches since Sept. 2010 (worrying that these won't actually get done)

Thanks, I will stay on him. I have contacted him several times and he has cordially responded each time. I will go to a monthly routine.

Hey Rick,

Thanks for all that information mate! I wasn't sure how things worked with Jeff's sketch list and what type/number of sketches he usually created at shows so these details were new to me.

That pricing is reasonable although I'd be hoping for a full-figure if at all possible. Maybe I should wait until he accepts an invitation to come Downunder as a guest at our comic cons :)

I did chat with him at SDCC this year but I didn't request a sketch because I was way too late to get in the queue. Best,

Royd

Royd, a J. Scott Campbell convention commission is a very achievable goal. He's been very prolific in his convention appearances across the country (USA) this year.

He usually completes anywhere from 1-5 per day at a show, depending on his obligations.

There's usually somewhat formal structure to his system.

When the show opens, people stand in line. He usually takes a list of peoples names, and the characters they want.

Sometimes he quotes prices, ranging from $300-500, depending on the complexity, generally that gets you a piece on one of those blank comic book sketch covers, a sketchbook or standard paper he has, and it's usually a head to head/bust. No full figures or anything elaborate in size or multiple characters nor backgrounds. The rendering is generally high-end quality, so not a quick marker sketch, he pencils, then inks and either renders pencil tonals or uses copic markers for quality embelishments.

Generally speaking, he usually does it the way Adam Hughes used to, which is/was to take a longer list than he could hope to fulfill, but give him the ability to skip up and down the list based on which characters he wanted to draw, and basically also who he wanted to draw for as well (so, sort of enabling him to avoid drawing for the same people over and over again who are 1st in line, and get more sketches out to a broader base of fans). It's a fairly fair system, no cash up front and a somewhat equal opportunity to most who show up, not allowing folks with exhibitor bages, press passes, or the people who line up before the sun rises that squat the lines hours early, to get a competitive advantage over the casual fan. The list usually stops at about 10-20 names/requests usually, so you still need to get there early, just not super early. I think also, he has a decent memory, so if he sees you enough, you become top of mind and probably get added consideration if you've never gotten a piece and provide him with that respectful patience that sometimes ends up rewarded in this hobby.

Jim Cheung

never noticed this thread till now, right now in the next couple of months I should be expecting commissions from

Sal Buscema (2 of them (Spider-man vs Doc Ock and Spider-man vs Green Goblin) + 1 inking commission over John Romita Sr pencils)

Humberto Ramos (Spider-man vs Doctor Doom)

John Romita Sr

Marc Silvestri

Will Conrad

Keith Pollard Spider-man vs Sinister Six

Gabrielle Dell'otto

Andy Kubert

Ron Wilson

Jim Cheung

all Spider-man

forgot to say that Adam Kubert is added to this list

Who do you have working on commissions at the moment. UPDATED

My current list

Tom Nguyen (xmen 141 Poster Wall with Birds of Prey)

Darryl Banks (GL wanted poster)

JK Woodward(Deathstroke Poster Wall)