• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To my East Coast comic buddies...

144 posts in this topic

Lost power and am currently staying with my in-laws tonight with the rest of the family. Some of you may recall back in 2008 my finished basement flooded and I had to gut it completely. Between Jan- Apr of this year, I went through and fully re-finished. Thanks to this stupid hurricane and the 8+ inches of rain in the last 24 hours, my basement flooded again and it's going to have to be gutted and refinished yet AGAIN!

:frustrated:

Fortunately, I had a sump pump installed since then, and since the power went out and pump failed to do it's job as a result of the lack of electricity, my insurance will cover up to $10k minus my $1k deductible. Still, the idea of losing $1,000 like that after a LOT of time spent doing the job already is not sitting well with me. What a way to end the summer. doh!

All the same, I'm glad nothing more serious was done to our living space on the top two floors and we're safe and sound.

One word. MOVE! If you keep having to refinish your basement, it is a good idea to get a home that is not prone to flooding. That is just insane dude, you JUST went through this.

Glad the family is ok, and everything ended somewhat well. But now is a great time to buy a home buddy.

We got our power back yesterday....I bought a generator last year that helped out a great deal....powered 1 AC, 1 TV, and 1 Fridge. Shared it in shifts with the neighbors. It would probably be a great solution to the sump pump problem. With a couple of extra gadgets you can even back feed them through your whole house if you get a unit with enough wattage. Just make sure you have enough gas BEFORE the storm knocks out power, as gas pumps don't work without it. We had 1 death in our area, particularly sad, of an 11 year old boy. My prayers are with the family (a single Mom). Hope everyone made it through OK. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

A friend of mine on Long Island called every Sear's, Home Depot in the area to find a genrator, all were sold out. Then he called Lowes and the store manager said he had 65 of them on palettes waiting to be bought. By the time he got there, maybe 1/2 hour total, 63 of them had been sold. he got one of the last 2 that were left.

The morale of the story is: have a generator before the storm. :preach: