• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Grading Guide shipping this week

51 posts in this topic

No, we actually don't. The last one in the area got burnt down by the owner, who claimed that it was a random fire so he collect the insurance money. Anyways, has anyone from CGC commented on the grading guide? Steve or anyone from CGC tongue.gif, if you have one of these books in front of you..do you agree with their grades on the issues they show?

Brian

Was just browsing at a copy at the comic book store and a 10.0 is now call

GEM Mint and 9.9 Mint. I hate that word term GEM Mint and now it is offically part of the comic terminology. What happen to Pristine Mint? Interestingly they say a 9.9 Mint can have a date stamp/pen date. That should go over great with some people on this board.

The race for what to call 10.0 was a very close one. Quite a few people did vote for PRISTINE among the many advisors we polled, but ultimately it became very clear that the term "Pristine Mint" had been in circulation for so long in comics in a colloquial sense that it lacked definitive meaning. "Gem Mint," on the other hand has long been an accepted term for the top of the scale in many other collecting disciplines, like coins - where comics of course first got the terminology for grading in the first place. Seemed appropriate.

And someone before mentioned the ATOM section, another thing I had at the top of my list of things I wanted to do in this new Guide. I had actually conceived a slightly grander version of showing multiples of the same comic in varying grades, but I'm glad we were able to get the ATOM section in there as it is.

Arnold

how can mint be more than mint? Here we go with the coin collector mentality. Next well see Marvel shipping books right off the press as uncirculated proof sets. Stupid mentality is going to ruin a fun hobby. I'm off to get this grading guide curious to see the changes

"Quite a few people did vote for PRISTINE among the many advisors we polled, but ultimately it became very clear that the term "Pristine Mint" had been in circulation for so long in comics in a colloquial sense that it lacked definitive meaning."

According to one board member, it should be "PRESTINE MINT." tongue.gif