• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet Grading Guide shipping this week

51 posts in this topic

Quite a few people did vote for PRISTINE among the many advisors we polled, but ultimately it became very clear that the term "Pristine Mint" had been in circulation for so long in comics in a colloquial sense that it lacked definitive meaning.
That same argument can very convincingly be made for all the other grades, also. The definition of "Near Mint" has changed quite a bit over the last 20 years, I'd say, even in Overstreet's mind. Certainly CGC redefined the common perception of what a Near Mint comic is.

"Pristine Mint" got misused so much because Overstreet stopped using it for so long. All of the grades have been commonly misassigned throughout their lifetime; all you can do is define it with as much specificity as possible and hope people have the desire and discipline to figure out what you're talking about.

You do realize that the reason the book costs $24 is that it's printed in full color on quite high-quality paper to make the most of the picture reproductions? Well now you know

I really could careless Arnold,still expensive.The paper feels like Sol-Cal Paper about 35 lbs,it's slightly coated,not coated,coated paper is more expensive,I certainly hope the company was using Mid-Tack Flint Ink when they were printing your books,if they were using say Sun Chemical, then that's a very cheap ink.The overstreet is a better buy,even though 80% is black ink on white paper,it seems like your getting your $22 worth cause it's so huge.BTW, When is it coming out and will it delayed like last year? Kevin

Does the new grading guide talk about viewing the book under 10x magnification. I know this may sound ridiculous to some members but I am sure most of us feel our CGC 9.8's are perfect. The 9.9 and 10.0 seem almost imaginery. I know that this is done with diamonds and coins which have more exact grading and reproducible grading standards than we do. I am sure they do this with cards too. I bought a CGC 9.9 and was disappointed (some of my 9.8 and even a few 9.6 looked better) and sold it. I am sure if that book was resubmitted it would not get a 9.9 again. I would also venture to say if some of the 10.0 out there were resubmitted they would not get a 10.0 again.