• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay just issued me a courtesy credit,....

27 posts in this topic

I opend a Paypal dispute last week for some smuck who wouldn't take a return,...he sold me a raw book that he advertised as Fine, but when I got it there were water stains on the back cover,...

...I tried to return it to the seller,...he has 100% feedback and sells a lot of $1.00-$3.00 items (that he does accept returns on ),....but hardly ever sells big ticket books,...this particular auction he marked no returns,...

..so I opened the dispute last week under the heading of item does not match sellers descrption,...the seller told me up front that I would lose because he had a picture on the auction and a description (although there was no mention of any water stains),...I was shocked when Ebay closed the case in his favor,...

Based on information provided in the case, the item you received matched the seller's description but you no longer wanted the item. eBay Buyer Protection doesn't cover situations where an item is accurately described

...so I appealed the decision stating again the defects that were not listed,...and today they gave me a full courtesy credit,.... :o

...Does this mean that they didn't take the money back from the seller?..and can I actually keep the item?

I would send the item back,it's just the right thing to do. (thumbs u

...but they didn't take the money from the seller,...this was a buyer protection courtesy credit,...was should the seller have my money and the book?...

I would send the item back,it's just the right thing to do. (thumbs u

...but they didn't take the money from the seller,...this was a buyer protection courtesy credit,...was should the seller have my money and the book?...

Oh I thought you already received your money back.Of course not.

...I did get my money back,...but the way that they worded it it seems that the money came from Ebay/Paypal as a courtesy,...it's very unclear wether they took the money back from seller,... (shrug)

this is exactly how they worded it;

You don't need to do anything else.

Bay Customer Support has granted your appeal and issued you a courtesy credit to your PayPal account. Sep 03, 2011 at 2:58 PM

eBay Customer Support comments:

We're sorry you had a problem with your purchase. After further review, we confirmed that we made an error when we closed the case.

Refund information:

We have issued a courtesy credit of $179.49 to your PayPal account

...I did get my money back,...but the way that they worded it it seems that the money came from Ebay/Paypal as a courtesy,...it's very unclear wether they took the money back from seller,... (shrug)

You think Ebay/paypal pays you,no! I hardly think they are in business to pay people without getting money from the seller after disputes. doh!

Same thing happened to me on some CFD books. I was bent because the seller advertised them as limited edition copies when they were not. I tried to contact him and got zero response. After trying to get him to return them, I opened a case which he quickly escalated.

Ebay said they couldn't determine that the seller did anything wrong and the ruled in his favor. However, they credited the seller back his funds and also gave me a credit (straigt from eBay as the payment source). (shrug)

Seller actually sent me a note demanding the books back. He got real far with that. lol

May have not been the right thing to do in keeping them, but I was not letting him get the books and the money.

To keep the karma/comic gods happy, I ended up selling the #5 (which was a nice NM/NM+ copy) for $5 in my last modern thread and threw the other book, a #4, in as a freebie on another slab that I sold.

You think Ebay/paypal pays you,no! I hardly think they are in business to pay people without getting money from the seller after disputes. doh!

I've actually heard about them doing that before for low dollar value items. If they already ruled in favor of the seller, I can see how they might have problems if they try to renege and take money back from them anyway.

...I'm just very unclear where the credit came from,...the way ebay words it it sound like they are the ones issuing the credit,...but when I look at my Paypal statement it looks the the credit came from the seller,...and if they didn't actually take the money from him I'm not sending him the book

End of story. Don't send the comic back. Paypal explicitly states you don't have to do anything. If you had to, they would have said something like please return the merchandise to the seller within 10 days.

End of story. Don't send the comic back. Paypal explicitly states you don't have to do anything. If you had to, they would have said something like please return the merchandise to the seller within 10 days.

Good point. Missed that part... (thumbs u

Keep the book, you gave seller opportunity to do the right thing and he punted. Sell the book in marketplace for right grade/price. Then donate funds to your favorite charity if you feel the need.

If you were the seller and that happened to any one of you,there would be a 500 post thread on how much of a doucheb-a-g the buyer is.Karma is a person_without_enough_empathy and I wont preach anymore. :whistle:

,...I just called ebay and they said that the credit came from them not the seller,...reason being is that they originally decided in the sellers favor,..and when I disputed the decision they decided that they made an error and when they do that they pay out of their own pockets becaue of my business history with them,...the confusing thing was that the paypal transaction looked like it came from the seller,....

...so now that the payment issue is resolved,...I guess the next question is do I neg the bastid?.... (shrug)