• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bid strategy for ComicLink?

79 posts in this topic

I also prefer the CC model over the Link or eBays. An auction should end when there is one one bidder left.

It doesn't work if bidders are focusing on consecutive lots and end up having to oversee several lots at the same time due to the time extensions, which forces them to either overlook one of the lots or change their bidding strategy.

I much prefer a quick end to an online auction as it allows you to regroup quickly if you lose. CC's auctions do not reflect real auctions which are over rapidly and do not overlap. Heritage's live bidding model is much better.

I also prefer the CC model over the Link or eBays. An auction should end when there is one one bidder left.

It doesn't work if bidders are focusing on consecutive lots and end up having to oversee several lots at the same time due to the time extensions, which forces them to either overlook one of the lots or change their bidding strategy.

I much prefer a quick end to an online auction as it allows you to regroup quickly if you lose. CC's auctions do not reflect real auctions which are over rapidly and do not overlap. Heritage's live bidding model is much better.

It's better because it's regulated and is run the way an auction is suppose to be run. (thumbs u

It's better because it's regulated and is run the way an auction is suppose to be run. (thumbs u

Do the shills get to bid 'live' too? :shrug:

doh!

You guys have no memory retention at all.

Texas law allows for bidding by the auction house.

doh!

You guys have no memory retention at all.

And that's supposed to make me feel good why? Because the shills are well regulated? :shrug:

I know you guys are probably tired of hearing me say this over the years

(thumbs u :baiting:

Soft end times for items would lead to increased values on items, increased buyer's premiums, and more satisfied buyers!

Why would buyers be more satisfied with higher prices and premiums? ???

Texas law allows for pretty much anything. ;)doh!

OK, here's something I didn't think of before and it kind of sucks.

If there's more than one comic you want, you can NOT just move on to the next comic if you don't win the first, correct? They all end at the same time don't they?

It's almost always 30 seconds between books other than when a new title comes up and then its usually a few minutes. Not a ton of time but as long as you are fairly prepared, its enough time. Lots and LOTS of times, i'm bidding on 2,3,4,5 books in a row even if i cant afford to win them all and i almost always have plenty of time to move on to the next book (thumbs u

Soft end times for items would lead to increased values on items, increased buyer's premiums, and more satisfied buyers!

I think it's even legal in Texas to shoot your mother in law if she opens her mouth too much too? hm

So far Comic Connect is the only auction site that seems to offer exactly the way it should be handled.

I know you guys are probably tired of hearing me say this over the years but an auction site should increase the close time of an item if a bid is placed within the last 5 minutes (or so) of closing. This is how a REAL auction works in a live setting.

This gives ample time for second/third/fourth bidder to counter the bid if they feel they are willing to pay that $10 more than they originally would have.

Auctionuniverse.com (which is long gone but was better and BEFORE eBay) started with this practice 1995.

The systems set up by eBay, Heritage, CLink and the rest of them FAIL because it allows people to force up maximum bids using shills (with usual little risk of the shill winning the item) and it allows sniping and auction in which case everyone loses.

Before anyone gets upset by this statement hear me out.

Soft end times for items would lead to increased values on items, increased buyer's premiums, and more satisfied buyers! It's a complete no-brainer and I have no idea why eBay or anyone else is so set on their ways about this.

I know the argument is that "only bid what you're willing to pay" but the truth is, for any of you that have actually been to a live auction if you decide before the auction that you're only going to pay $100 for that box of Strawberry Shortcake dolls and you're in a situation where only one other person is bidding, more often than not you'll get caught up in the action and will go ahead and pay that $110 for that box.

It's easy for us to rationalize the extra $10 when we only have a limited amount of time to make the decision. In the end, as I said, everyone comes out ahead, and everyone is happy.

How does higher prices make for more satisfied buyers?

Why would the buyer or the seller want higher buyer's premiums?

I definitely dont like the "extended bidding" since im one of those with no restraint that will up my "MAX bid" if someone outbids me doh!

Yeah its nice to win the book but i almost always end up overpaying for them. I prefer Comiclink and the other sites. Just put in your max bid and you win it or dont when the final buzzer goes off (thumbs u

If there's more than one comic you want, you can NOT just move on to the next comic if you don't win the first, correct? They all end at the same time don't they?

multiple browser windows open ??

Edited by Peter in Portugal

:idea:

I think it's even legal in Texas to shoot your mother in law if she opens her mouth too much too? hm

The Lone Star state, eh? hm

It's easy for us to rationalize the extra $10 when we only have a limited amount of time to make the decision. In the end, as I said, everyone comes out ahead, and everyone is happy.

Not the buyer who prepares a strategy for the Comiclink environment. So you have winners with soft end times, but as a net buyer I am firmly convinced that I get better prices with definite/hard closes to the lots. An auction is not a zero sum game, but I cannot conceive of a method where EVERYONE comes out ahead :juggle:

Great idea if you if you can cover possibly winning all of them. :)

It only looks like they end at the same time, they're actually slightly staggered so you can have multiple windows open in the order the auctions close and move to the next easily if you lose the first.

It only looks like they end at the same time, they're actually slightly staggered so you can have multiple windows open in the order the auctions close and move to the next easily if you lose the first.

Is there a countdown ticker when you're nearing the close like on Ebay? In light of what you said, GREAT idea! So simple, why I didn't I think of it?

Edited by USArmyParatrooper

Yes, there is. It counts down the seconds once you get Inside 10 minutes I think. Definitely the last few minutes. Like I said, it's a little tight on back to back books but as long as you're fairly prepared, you have plenty of time.

I always print out the GPA info on the books I am bidding on and have them laid out with my max bid written on it since you definitely won't have time to be searching on gpa. You don't even need multiple windows open. Once one ends, click right on the next book, look at your sheet and put in your max bid. I almost always even have enough time to raise myax bid if I need/want to.