• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this make sense to anyone else? Comic Shop To Boycott Action Comics

140 posts in this topic

That's very sad. The guy can sell whatever he wants, though. I'd recommend boycotting his store. I wonder how much business he can afford to lose.

Wow, is this really something worth boycotting the store over? It is a guy standing on his convictions. You should boycott anyone that you disagree with then.

This week, DC Comics published a new first issue of Action Comics, the series that introduced Superman to the world back in the nineteen thirties.

In doing so, writer Grant Morrison, who had already written the insanely successful All Star Superman comic, took the character back to his original roots. Reinvented as a social crusader, targeting big businesses that exploit their workers, the comic instantly sold out, expected to be the best selling comic in September, and has received critical acclaim from all sides.

Thank god this isn't a Marvel book, the irony would kill me.

This week, DC Comics published a new first issue of Action Comics, the series that introduced Superman to the world back in the nineteen thirties.

In doing so, writer Grant Morrison, who had already written the insanely successful All Star Superman comic, took the character back to his original roots. Reinvented as a social crusader, targeting big businesses that exploit their workers, the comic instantly sold out, expected to be the best selling comic in September, and has received critical acclaim from all sides.

Almost all sides.

One comic shop is North Carolina, The Comics Conspiracy, has decided enough is enough. Because of this panel.

To see panel and the full story...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/08/north-carolina-comic-shop-to-boycott-action-comics/

This guy is a real Maroon! doh!

This is a problem for the guy yet he'll still carry books like ''The Boys''?

:screwy:

And Supes doesn't even say Go**amn he just grunts ''gd''.

i cant believe you found someone the colour "Maroon". got any pictures??

Its blasphemy?

Oh now I get it! (thumbs u

He's a religious fruit cake!

All hail jeebus!

thou shall not use the Lords name in vain...

Or something like that.

Am I allowed to be offended by this?

I forget.

I know I'm not supposed to make fun of Jews, Gays and Blacks...

hm

C'mon man, equivocate, equivocate. ;)

I was actually agreeing with him. Just not openly...yet.

:angel:

Its blasphemy?

Oh now I get it! (thumbs u

He's a religious fruit cake!

All hail jeebus!

thou shall not use the Lords name in vain...

Or something like that.

Am I allowed to be offended by this?

I forget.

I know I'm not supposed to make fun of Jews, Gays and Blacks...

hm

C'mon man, equivocate, equivocate. ;)

I was actually agreeing with him. Just not openly...yet.

:angel:

I know, I know. :whistle:

I agree with Roy here. While not offended personally, it is out of character for Supes. Personally, I didn't care for Grant Morrison's new ideas in All Star Superman. I hated what he did with the key.

He's basically right though. Superman is supposed to be the good boy scout. People were outraged when he had a child of out wedlock in the last movie and the same people would be outraged at what he said in this panel.

Based on what I know about Supes, it's uncharacteristic of him to speak like that isn't it?

Personally, I'm not so offended that he used the term "GD" but I can see why people would be upset.

They're stretching the boundaries of what made him Superman for so many decades just to find some new ground to flesh him out in a new light.

Personal and constitutional rights are such a slippery slope and a grey area.

This guy believes he's defending something important by boycotting the book. Others are offended that he's defending his rights.

Impossible situation, as far as I'm concerned.

That's very sad. The guy can sell whatever he wants, though. I'd recommend boycotting his store. I wonder how much business he can afford to lose.

Since he's made the news, and since comic shops are generally going out of business anyway,

he has created a situation where he can now go out of business due to poor sales

and forever feel persecuted and justified for standing up for his beliefs,

talking about the day he had to close down his store until he's dead.

There's nothing humble people enjoy more than telling everyone how their humility makes a difference in the world.

I agree with just about anything nocutename says. It's just the way it's gonna be for me.

I agree with Roy here. While not offended personally, it is out of character for Supes. Personally, I didn't care for Grant Morrison's new ideas in All Star Superman. I hated what he did with the key.

He's basically right though. Superman is supposed to be the good boy scout. People were outraged when he had a child of out wedlock in the last movie and the same people would be outraged at what he said in this panel.

Based on what I know about Supes, it's uncharacteristic of him to speak like that isn't it?

Personally, I'm not so offended that he used the term "GD" but I can see why people would be upset.

They're stretching the boundaries of what made him Superman for so many decades just to find some new ground to flesh him out in a new light.

I'm at work and on an iPad so this will be brief, riddled with errors and half cogent. Most of you won't notice the difference. lol

Grant Morrison is no one's fool. He's a mystic gnostic magician so by definition, he knows theology, history and linguistics very, very well. He knows, for example, that Superman was created by two Jewish men in the vein of a Mosaic (not Messianic) figure. He knows that even Superman's name bears a resemblance to the Judeo/Chrisitan god of the bible. "El" appears in many forms of the name of God of the Torah/Old Testament.

El Shadai

El Adonai

Emmanuel

Even names of some of the prophets

Daniel

Joel

Etc. You get the point.

Jor-el

Kal-el

Morrison knows all of this. And he knows his history, again, theologically as well as comically. So to suggest that Grant Morrison didn't intend double meaninged, layered interpretations of the quoted "GD" to get a reaction is absurd. This is a man who master aged maniacally to get the spirit of the age to bless The Invisibles (if I am misremembering that correctly).

It's quite clever, and completely in the realm of plausible deniability.

To a devout, Orthodox Jew, "G-d" would be how one writes the name of God. A sign of respect, by not writing the entire word out.

To a devout Chrisitan, the "GD" is offensive because it suggests the curse that is more profound than any other. This also applies to a devout Jew. But it's subtle. It could simply mean, "God".

To a secularist, an atheist, a humanist, this means nothing, and to those in this group with little or no sense of the meaning of sacred and profane words, this means nothing. They wonder aloud, some in bigoted language, how anyone could possibly be offended by such talk.

Grant Morrison is a clever, clever man who finds things I find sacred to be profane, and things I find profane to be sacred. He and I agree on very little, and I promise you, if he is aware of this news article or this thread, he is very satisfied with himself right now.

This news article means nothing to many people reading it, likewise this thread. But I assure, I commend this store owner for defending his faith in the best way he knows how. Is he a perfect example of a follower of Christ? Unlikely. No more than myself.

For the man who believes in nothing, it can be difficult to understand the man who would die for his beliefs. Heaven forbid we treat religious beliefs on these boards with the same dignity as love of DC versus Marvel, Golden Age comics versus Coppers, sexual orientation, gender, regionalism or any other self-defining status.

I am unable to proofreader this post. Please forgive any errors of thought or grammar.

God save the Queen.

He's basically right though. Superman is supposed to be the good boy scout.

I actually think Morrison very deliberately chose classic early Action cover images to be represented in this first issue of the new Action.

Superman almost dropping a man to compel a confession (interior panel from Action 1 reworked for the cover of Action 7) is there.

Superman trying to stop a train (Action 13) is there.

Superman vs tanks (Action 17) is there.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/09/thursday-trending-topics-what-has-grant-morrison-done-to-superman/

I'm at work and on an iPad so this will be brief, riddled with errors and half cogent. Most of you won't notice the difference. lol

Grant Morrison is no one's fool. He's a mystic gnostic magician so by definition, he knows theology, history and linguistics very, very well. He knows, for example, that Superman was created by two Jewish men in the vein of a Mosaic (not Messianic) figure. He knows that even Superman's name bears a resemblance to the Judeo/Chrisitan god of the bible. "El" appears in many forms of the name of God of the Torah/Old Testament.

El Shadai

El Adonai

Emmanuel

Even names of some of the prophets

Daniel

Joel

Etc. You get the point.

Jor-el

Kal-el

Morrison knows all of this. And he knows his history, again, theologically as well as comically. So to suggest that Grant Morrison didn't intend double meaninged, layered interpretations of the quoted "GD" to get a reaction is absurd. This is a man who master aged maniacally to get the spirit of the age to bless The Invisibles (if I am misremembering that correctly).

It's quite clever, and completely in the realm of plausible deniability.

To a devout, Orthodox Jew, "G-d" would be how one writes the name of God. A sign of respect, by not writing the entire word out.

To a devout Chrisitan, the "GD" is offensive because it suggests the curse that is more profound than any other. This also applies to a devout Jew. But it's subtle. It could simply mean, "God".

To a secularist, an atheist, a humanist, this means nothing, and to those in this group with little or no sense of the meaning of sacred and profane words, this means nothing. They wonder aloud, some in bigoted language, how anyone could possibly be offended by such talk.

Grant Morrison is a clever, clever man who finds things I find sacred to be profane, and things I find profane to be sacred. He and I agree on very little, and I promise you, if he is aware of this news article or this thread, he is very satisfied with himself right now.

This news article means nothing to many people reading it, likewise this thread. But I assure, I commend this store owner for defending his faith in the best way he knows how. Is he a perfect example of a follower of Christ? Unlikely. No more than myself.

For the man who believes in nothing, it can be difficult to understand the man who would die for his beliefs. Heaven forbid we treat religious beliefs on these boards with the same dignity as love of DC versus Marvel, Golden Age comics versus Coppers, sexual orientation, gender, regionalism or any other self-defining status.

I am unable to proofreader this post. Please forgive any errors of thought or grammar.

God save the Queen.

This man hasn't shown that he's prepared to die for his beliefs, but merely remove products from his shelves. Scarcely a martyr.

I imagine that secularists, atheists and humanists would be knowledgeable enough to know what the phrase "GD" means to those who are devout. meh And yes, the store owner is perfectly entitled to be offended by anything that he considers blasphemous. What is grim about his behaviour is that he seems very adept at the politics of outrage, and belittles Morrison's character (and those who would dare transgress his belief system) without being certain of anything.

plausible deniability

Now there's a meme for you. Morrison is therefore automatically guilty, whatever he says.

Elohim?

That is the transliteration of the Hebrew term for God but is not considered bad to use. The actual term that is never said in Judaism is read as "adonai" but is not spelt that way.

I thought it was YHWH.

Elohim?

That is the transliteration of the Hebrew term for God but is not considered bad to use. The actual term that is never said in Judaism is read as "adonai" but is not spelt that way.

I thought it was YHWH.

That is correct. When it is read in the Synagogue service, the reader says "adonai" rather than the literal spelling.

Elohim?

I thought it was YHWH.

That is correct. When it is read in the Synagogue service, the reader says "adonai" rather than the literal spelling.

You might know this but others may not...when the original Hebrew writings were copied (they had to be copied by hand since HP and IBM was not around yet), the scribes used to bathe and change their clothes before and after ever time that word/name was written...and sometimes that word would appear dozens of times on a single page.

That's devotion.