• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Still sorting and organizing posted by captainmorgan

4 posts in this topic

protecting my comics

Still doing the tetious work of sorting thru the boxes of comics.

alot of the comics are bagged and boarded, but some of them are not. It also seems like the comics are different sizes depending on the era their from. I would like to know the best way to purchase bags and boards for all these comics. Are there online stores with the best prices and products? How long do these bags last. The comics im longing at have been in boxes for over twenty years. Is it time to replace the bags and boards.

See more journals by captainmorgan

Here is a wonderful thread about comic bags and boards.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3413482

Generally, the older the comic the thicker and larger it is.

board member hotflips is a trusted seller of bags and boards and has

captured the business of most boardies. He won't let you down.

My best advice is to focus on the older books as the 90's stuff has little value if any. after twenty years it's a good bet you need to change the bags and boards. look for yellowing on the older bags and color bleed on the boards. Many collectors put the boards with the wrong side against the book. the dull side should face the book, the bright side will react with the back cover ink and after a few years the colors will bleed onto the board. If you can afford mylar go for it on the higher dollar books. Comic boxes are a must if packed full enough. Stacking you books on top of each other in a cardboard box will do alot of damage over time. As I said before e-bay is a good source of knowledge as well as products. The market for bags,boards and boxes is pretty tight but there are a few deals out there.Shipping costs are the big down side because of the weight. Dealers at conventions might negotiate a lower price late in the day because they don't want to lug the heavy boards and bulky boxes home. You must be having a ton of fun rediscovering lots of old memories sorting them all out. Try not to read as you go,sort first read later. Talk to you soon......McFly