• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steranko is great but......

74 posts in this topic

Ok. How about quite full of himself. ?

He is but he's also very approachable. I had him sign his history of comics for my nephew and his ears perked up when I made the request. He wanted to know more about him and wanted me to bring him to meet him the next time he was at SD Con.

Ok. How about quite full of himself. ?

He is but he's also very approachable.

That has been my experience as well. He does like to hear himself talk but in a benign manner and will remember you if he runs into you later at a con and will wave at you in the hotel lobby. Can't ask for a more friendly guy and interested in your take in the stuff he likes too. My conversation with him was about Mac Raboy.

I was one of the lucky boardies to see all those Shadow cover paintings in one room on display at a Windy City pulp show a few years back. Simply breathtaking :cloud9:

My conversation with him was about Mac Raboy.

Would love to hear more. :popcorn:

Steranko is awesome. huge egotist, but amazing artist and designer. He sojourned in comics (like Neal Adams) and also had greater ambitions than knocking out 20 pages of panels a month for Marvel!

Met him twice on separate occassions in Detroit and twice again in NY...let's just say he was very much the egotist and he wasn't exactly what you'd call friendly. :(

Steranko is awesome. huge egotist, but amazing artist and designer. He sojourned in comics (like Neal Adams) and also had greater ambitions than knocking out 20 pages of panels a month for Marvel!

Met him twice on separate occassions in Detroit and twice again in NY...let's just say he was very much the egotist and he wasn't exactly what you'd call friendly. :(

I've met him many times and he has been nothing but very kind to all fans with whom I've seen him interact.... and let me tell you, I've heard some stupid requests, stupid questions, and seen people ask him to sign the most ridiculous things, and he weathered it all with a smile.

I met Steranko at Dragon Con In 95(?), and I remember him as very approachable, friendly, and talkative (I think he showed me a magic trick). I came away from it with a very positive experience of meeting him.

He had a purple suit on, but I never got the impression he was full of himself.

I do agree with Paul that in hindsight some of his material doesn't read as smoothly as the typical Marvel House style, and I went thru the same thought process when re-reading the collected editions of SHEILD.

His influence is uncontested though.

No one in the history of comics has done so little in the way of actual comics work with as big an influence on it.

No one in the history of comics has done so little in the way of actual comics work with as big an influence on it.

Good call.

I also agree that he is extremely approachable and friendly. He looks a little flamboyant with his sharp suits and silver hair. But, he's extremely chatty and loves talking to fans.

I too have encountered Jaunty Jim, and have found him to be very approachable, and will chat your ear off, if given the opportunity. He and I discussed the Severin re-do of Hulk annual #1 among other things, and related that he wasn't offended by it. He said that Stan Lee found the original face "too fierce". He also related that he'd had the opportunity to do Hulk's monthly title, but turned it down, due to a prior commitment with some other projects.

Cap110.jpg

SHIELD3.JPG