• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Sketch Covers?

224 posts in this topic

You can't compare the two. OA and sketch covers are two animals from different times.

True.

What needs to be compared is the money. Not sure if anyone else on the boards is on a budget, but I am. So when considering any purchase I think what else could I get for the same money?

Taking the average Sketch Cover is $150-$200, can I get a page from a comic I like for the same price? Or a commission? Then I compare the two items at the same price level. Which would I rather get?

You just cannot compare a sketch cover to OA as a blanket statement. Won't ever work, and I'll take the Fabry cover every time :devil:

I'm a bit different, but I suppose the discussion is somewhat similar. I like to collect the the CGC certified sketches on backing boards. However, the points are somewhat similar.

First and foremost, you get what you want direct from the artist. And, the interaction is great. I have had many discussions with artists about what "breaking the time barrier" really is when I ask for my Flash sketch.

Second, affordable, when compared to covers and splash pages.

Finally, presentation. I like panel pages, but LOVE covers and splash pages. So, my sketches are mini-covers and mini-splash pages.

btw - the sketches on backing boards are just as easy to transport as the larger OA. The slabbed covers can get real bulky, real fast.

The main reason I began this thread was just to get in the head of Sketch Cover collectors and see why they choose this form of collecting as opposed to something else...

But again, another important thought...

What do you guys think the future of sketch covers are? Will they burn out? Will this "fad" last? Will they still be as collectible, more collectible or less collectible??

One big question.....now, I would NEVER want this to happen...I LOVE CGC.....but if CGC went out of business....what would become of sketch covers? I would think the regular CGC SS books and Blue label books would become more rare...more collectible...would sketch covers follow suit?..Knowing you could no longer get the blanks slabbed, would people still get blanks done? Knowing they would not be slabbed anymore, I wonder what would become of the value of CGC SS blanks....I think this speaks to Comix4Fun point about having a third party being involved.....

The main reason I began this thread was just to get in the head of Sketch Cover collectors and see why they choose this form of collecting as opposed to something else...

But again, another important thought...

What do you guys think the future of sketch covers are? Will they burn out? Will this "fad" last? Will they still be as collectible, more collectible or less collectible??

Right now...it looks like Marvel is doing their very best to beat the entire sketch cover thing to a bloody and pulpy death.

There are ways to make it interesting, but Marvel will have to stop releasing a new blank every 10 seconds first.

For example, a DC "Detective Comics" blank to coincide with when #27 comes out in the new numbering would be EPIC.

Rule # 1 Only get characters on there respected blank covers

Rule # 2 Dont ask for DC characters on Marvel blanks

lol

Rule # 3 Save money cause artists charge WAY more for 11*17's

Interesting discussion that DC and Marvel character collectors have regarding OA on mass produced printed paper next to news print pulp or shiny paper and then encased in plastic (none of which is acid free but maybe archival) is an excellent business model to ensure that the product does not last longterm but instead results in the need to replace the product on a periodic tempo. Forbid the case cracks, there goes the "investment".

Edwin

I think some of you need to remember that size doesn't matter. :kidaround:

Seriously though, I use Jeff's collection (Stronguy) as an example. This Electro is pretty damn amazing.

094_Electro_AngelMedina.jpg

It's even more amazing when you realize it's only 2x2!

I think sketch covers have their place and I've seen plenty of excellent ones as well as bad ones. It's not so much the size of the canvas but what the artist is capable of doing with it. Some artists "get it" while (most) don't.

Three reasons why I prefer OA, convention sketches, and commissions to sketch covers.

lonewolf.jpg

GL%20Sorrow%20to%20Hope_scan.jpg

LonewolfCub.jpg

It would be difficult to get that level of detail on a blank sketch cover. The first piece is a watercolor, and that would be near to impossible, if not completely impossible, to get done on a blank sketch cover.

I've got nothing against them, but I think I'll stick to commissions and con sketches.

It will all depend on who we get on the blanks. Talent is talent. A talented artist would find a way to cram in details on a small work area if he wanted to. It's just that there's much more room on the big 11x17 but it doesn't stop talents from doing the wonders they can work on blanks.

this is Watercolor done on a DA blank. I'll have a Thanos done soon and will post in the future.

169001_108007982609290_100002002671179_65129_571032_n.jpg

Miss Marvel goodness, the level of art on this is on par with his 11x17 ones it's just that the 11x17 is bigger so we can get the complete hands and feet, better background because of larger space and so on but still it's good looking either way.

180256_108008162609272_100002002671179_65130_2587437_n.jpg

You can't compare the two. OA and sketch covers are two animals from different times.

True.

What needs to be compared is the money. Not sure if anyone else on the boards is on a budget, but I am. So when considering any purchase I think what else could I get for the same money?

Taking the average Sketch Cover is $150-$200, can I get a page from a comic I like for the same price? Or a commission? Then I compare the two items at the same price level. Which would I rather get?

You just cannot compare a sketch cover to OA as a blanket statement. Won't ever work, and I'll take the Fabry cover every time :devil:

Is the average Sketch Cover really $150-$200? If so, then WOW!!! I've not paid more than $200 for any sketch at a convention except for my David Finch piece. I haven't paid but a few dollars over that for at home commissions from some excellent artists, and the artwork was FAR more detailed than I think you could really get with a Sketch Cover.

An artist once told me, "When it doubt, it's always best to go with the larger size. The bigger the canvas, the more detailed the art can be." If I'm gonna pay $200 for it, I want it as big and detailed as it can be.

Force Majeure,

I am very surprised to see watercolor on a comic cover, BUT I have to admit that it looks really beautiful. I see that, and I can't help but wonder what the artist could have done with a larger canvas. It's a really beautiful piece, but so... small.

I think some on the boards have some sketches that art in some artist's sketchbooks that they have published.

Indeed. I have around 6 artworks on blanks that have been published in an artist's sketchbook. So the artworks on blanks always would have the possibility to be called published artworks in effect if they got in on an artist's published work (sketchbook for example).

As per the norm, everyone is digging in and getting entrenched. :)

There is a broad gulf between published OA, which is and always will be one of one, and commissions. They are both OA, but they are different. The provenance and historical tie to the underlying comics make the published OA the gold standard of OA. There can be no true challenge to that assertion.

11"x17" vs sketch cover can be debated. There are strong benefits to both, but really it boils down to "more art for the money" vs. authenticated and encapsulated.

I love sketch covers. I have a list of all the creators and characters that I eventually want to have done and it grows and grows all the time. But if I could only take one piece from my collection to a desert island with me, it would be the Tony Moore 11x 17commission that I got last year. There is so much more detail than could be had on a sketch cover.

It doesn't have to be either/or. There can be love for both, and there should be. Be resolute in your collecting and let the haters hate. Don't forget, I have 15 DC sketches on Marvel blanks. I love to watch how that sets people's teeth on edge. lol

Much love to all who enjoy the artform!!

There is a broad gulf between published OA, which is and always will be one of one, and commissions. They are both OA, but they are different. The provenance and historical tie to the underlying comics make the published OA the gold standard of OA. There can be no true challenge to that assertion.

11"x17" vs sketch cover can be debated. There are strong benefits to both, but really it boils down to "more art for the money" vs. authenticated and encapsulated.

I love sketch covers. I have a list of all the creators and characters that I eventually want to have done and it grows and grows all the time. But if I could only take one piece from my collection to a desert island with me, it would be the Tony Moore 11x 17commission that I got last year. There is so much more detail than could be had on a sketch cover.

It doesn't have to be either/or. There can be love for both, and there should be. Be resolute in your collecting and let the haters hate. Don't forget, I have 15 DC sketches on Marvel blanks. I love to watch how that sets people's teeth on edge. lol

Ill keep that in mind when I do your cover

:censored: I thought that post was perfect. Curse you!

:censored: I thought that post was perfect. Curse you!

lol I think I just gave myself a lot more work to do!