• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reality check on 2 high end books

33 posts in this topic

I thought 9+ on both, but I have a really hard time figuring out if something is above 9.2, and although the difference between a 9.2 and 9.4 takes a very close and detailed examination, the impact on value can be significant. I showed the same scans of the spiderman on the CPG grading forum and the first reply was 7.0!

The Invaders a better spine: absolutely clean, not a single crease I can see, but the corners are not as clean. The back covers look a lot cleaner in person than scanned for some reason. Maybe the scan increases the contrast?

This was the reasoning from the guy who graded the SSM 7.0:

"6+ tiny color-breaking spots of spine stress = 7.5, and then abrasion/color loss thing just below the N in Spider-Man = another downtick."

I responded that it was the best looking 7.0 I've ever seen.

He graded the Invaders #1 8.5 because of the 2 bottom corners.

9.2 on the Defenders, 9.0 on the PPSSM.

Anybody who would give either of these books a 7.0 is either planning to offer to buy them on the cheap, or doesn't know jack-all about grading. I'd be curious to hear how they figure what defects would be allowed for each of the 9 grades between 7.0 and 10.0. Even if you believe as I do that there are only two legitimate grades above NM that's a long way to fall for the number of defects.

invaders: not a stain, true color of the original book. check the various images of the issue from different sites: for example:

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/imageHandler.ashx?width=450&cn=1&ImgFilePath=/images/covers/2899/733.jpg

Spider-man. No piece missing, a curved corner due to blunting.

invaders: not a stain, true color of the original book. check the various images of the issue from different sites: for example:

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/imageHandler.ashx?width=450&cn=1&ImgFilePath=/images/covers/2899/733.jpg

Spider-man. No piece missing, a curved corner due to blunting.

Roger. Then I can't see any reason for the grades he gave you. From the images I think Invaders is a solid 9.2 and Spidey is in the 8.5 to 9.0 range.

Now I'm being told:

"Hate to be the bearer of bad news on the Invaders #1 but that top right corner color breaking crease drops it down to a 7.5 at best."

Whoever told you that is wrong. (thumbs u