• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Grade to Buy Keys In?

25 posts in this topic

As long as they have a nice eye appeal, I'd go for it. Just like this one (although not a key, it still looks mighty nice)

How is that only a 2.5 ?

I really have no idea and haven't really asked CGC about it. The back cover looks OK, as well, so maybe there's confetti between the covers, for all I know.

I'm stumped on that one too! hm

If there were any hidden defects, CGC would normally include such grading notes on the label.

Assume we're talking about a key issue like Hulk 1, Tales of Suspense 39, Journey into Mystery 83, Avengers 1. Leave out the AF 15 and mega Golden Age keys.

Would you rather pay a "reasonable" price for an 8.5 or pony up bigger bucks for a 9.0? Which do you think would be the better investment in the long run, assuming that your goal is to keep the issue but, to justify the expenditure for a comic book you need the support of at least making your money back if you need the money.

Are the 8.5s more likely to suffer in value from future pressing (7.5s and 8.0s turning into 8.5s), or are they still sound investments? I know the answer is "depends on the price" but as a general philosophy, what would be your preferred strategy?

Always assume that you will be selling into a very weak market if you need to raise funds.

Will prices rise in an uninterrupted fashion forever?

Is a 50% markdown something you could live with should you need to raise cash?

As long as they have a nice eye appeal, I'd go for it. Just like this one (although not a key, it still looks mighty nice)

How is that only a 2.5 ?

I really have no idea and haven't really asked CGC about it. The back cover looks OK, as well, so maybe there's confetti between the covers, for all I know.

I'm stumped on that one too! hm

If there were any hidden defects, CGC would normally include such grading notes on the label.

Actually, CGC very rarely notes hidden defects on the label. You may see a few more notes on some old blue labels, but the new style blue labels very rarely includes notes on them...

I buy what I can afford just to have one. I have some very nice books that are not high grade and I love to look over at my spinner rack and see them. GS X-Men 5.5, IH 181 3.5, Sgt F. 13 3.5, ASM 129 4.0, etc. I was a reader first and became a collector, never intended on getting rich in the process. Always on the prowl for a good deal. Again, just having an original copy is great.

Are the 8.5s more likely to suffer in value from future pressing (7.5s and 8.0s turning into 8.5s), or are they still sound investments? I know the answer is "depends on the price" but as a general philosophy, what would be your preferred strategy?

Actually, 9.0s and above are probably more sensitive to pressing devaluation than 8.5s as the defects in a 7.5 or 8.0 are typically not removed by pressing. However, 8.5s and above commonly have non-colorbreaking spine stress, etc. that would come out in pressing.

Bob's right, though, buy the book based upon eye appeal. Odds are that the one that looks really nice to you will appeal to others as well. There are many 8.5s that I would rather own than 9.0s and 9.2s that are structurally nicer (even if offered at the same price). I wouldn't underestimate page quality in your decision either as it also plays a big role.

I like your board name. Not many would get the reference these days. WTTB.

Good to know there's another film aficionado on the boards!

Thanks to all for the feedback.

I don't look at comic books as an investment first. However, my attitude towards it is basically: "If I'm going to do something as silly (and wonderful) as spending a huge chunk of my cash on a comic book, I'd like to be able to get my money back on it if I ever need to spend the money on something less silly." Actually making money is a nice bonus and I have certainly done so, but that's mostly in theory since I think I've sold about 3 comic books in my life. And bought a wee bit more. :)