• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pacific Coast original catalog listings

92 posts in this topic

Wolf,

You know of what you speak. The PCs are not for sale (last time I checked). I believe these X-men (I know for sure the no 1 9.6) is from my Pacific Coast trading partner, which means many of these books soon up for sale were once mine. For those of you on this thread who aren'y privy to a previous thread, I got the X-Men 1-21 Pacific Coasts from this person (great guy and big Marvel collector) in a series of trades. In fact, the X-Men 1 9.6 to be sold on Comiclink was my book, which I bought (through Tom Brulato) from Pacific Coast expert LinMoth. The book is killer, but did not have the pacific Coast label when I purchased it.

Through 1 of our trades, I gave this Comiclink seller this X-Men 1 9.6 to get the X-Men 1 he bought directly from Roter (along with 2-20) which also graded 9.6 (albeit ow to w) but did have the "Pacific Coast" on the label.

Thought it may be of interest. Again, if not for this seller, I would not have these killer Pacific Coasts and am forever in his gratitude.

Mothman,

I promise not to call (Damn, where is your e-mail address!!!). Just kiddin, buddy. If this info is private, then let it be. Thanks for correcting me and setting the record straight. Its good that you entered the thread as many posters have requested.

Doug.

Tim,

Always a pleasure. Also, thanks to guys like you who make it worth searching our memories for these long forgotten tidbits of info. Some of the greatest and most fun moments of my life have come after acquiring/trading for a book or run of books and reflecting on what I had just picked up on my ride home. Again, when I was driving back from my PC trading partner's house with a bunch of 9.6/9.8 Pacific Coasts and an AF 15 9.4, I was mesmerized. Its hard to relate but I'm sure you know the feeling I'm talking about.

P.S. don't let this thread end!!

Hey buddy,

No, they are not (see above post to wolf). However, I was thinking of you as I have just picked up a JIM 105 & 111 9.6. I know you absolutely love Journeys and thought you could appreciate this. Killer books, but not the best pages (105 ow, 111 cow).

Keep in touch.

Many thanks! thumbsup2.gifHow mindblowing must it have been to see this ad?!

I know the PC B&B 43 graded out as a CGC 9.4, interesting that the PC #44 is not there, which also came out 9.4. Off the top of my head, I believe the Showcase 60 graded out as a CGC 9.8. And we know the X-Men 1 is probably one of the 2 PC CGC 9.6's. Many of the books in this ad appear to be part of the Linmoth PC run that's been put up for the June Heritage auction. Some very very nice stuff!

Hearty thanks to Tom and Doug for sharing your sagas about your initial exposures to the Pacific Coast collection, and for revealing some of the history of this Pedigree.

I was fortunate to be able to pick up about a dozen of the books from the first two (May and June, 1999) PCEI listings - like you, Captain, I had made a few previous purchases from PCEI, and was uncertain whether the books would measure up to their lofty and extraordinary grades. Also, my purchasing budget at that time was quite modest, and I was not positioned to lay out tens of thousands for the most outstanding keys. By the time I had acquired some FFs and Journeys and seen firsthand how phenomenal the books were, the word was clearly out in force on this collection, and the books in subsequent listings were all sold when I inquired about them.

It is very cool to know that significant runs from this Pedigree have been amassed by avid and savvy collectors, since I think these runs have more impact together than when separated.

Here is one of the Pacific Coast books I was able to get from PCEI: the slight marvel chipping rendered it a VF++ according to Roter, making this FF key affordable for me.

391024-FF12.jpg

namisgr,

You are quite welcome. BTW, that FF 12 looks awesome. I only noticed one tiny Marvel Chip and I don't believe CGC would hammer it because of the chip. It looks closer to a nm- than a vf++ from what I could see.

Very chrisp looking 9.4 with white pages. 893whatthe.gif It would almost be worth resubbing it to see if it comes out as a 9.6. I guess you would risk losing the pedigree notation if you did? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

no he wouldn't, the green river DD 11 went from 9.4 to 9.6 with the same pedigree status on the CGC label. gossip.gif

How do you go about doing that unless you send the comic in its current slab? Once they see that they have already graded it as a 9.4 I can't see CGC going against their original estimation unless it was an obvious mistake. Also, if you send it back in raw, they regrade it as a 9.6, do you then alert CGC that it was actually a pedigree that was resubmitted? How can you prove that this resub was actually a pedigree? Confused? confused-smiley-013.gif

How do you go about doing that unless you send the comic in its current slab? Once they see that they have already graded it as a 9.4 I can't see CGC going against their original estimation unless it was an obvious mistake. Also, if you send it back in raw, they regrade it as a 9.6, do you then alert CGC that it was actually a pedigree that was resubmitted? How can you prove that this resub was actually a pedigree? Confused? confused-smiley-013.gif

For one if you send it in raw you could still provide whatever evidence was needed when the book was ORIGINALLY submitted. Books don't start their lives in a plastic slab, they have to get there. That means someone has already proven to CGC that the book is a pedigree. All you would have to do is repeat the process.

Secondly, the graders don't know what the original grade was. So if you send it in entombed, the book is freed from the slab before grading. All the graders see is a comic book that they have to assign a numerical grade to. What the previous grade was is irrelevant.

Rob thank you for the info. I have an FF#12 graded as 7.5 and a Pacific Coast FF#73, 9.4 that was also graded under the old system. I am thinking about resubmitting both of them.

Call for the graders notes before resubmitting. Especially on a 7.5, there could be an interior defect, or a near impossible to see through the slab crease or something.