• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pacific Coast original catalog listings

92 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

Sorry I'm new to the Boards and so have only just looked in on this debate. Anyway, I thought I could shed some light on some of the Qs raised regarding the PC books:

1 My understanding (from my recollection of a conversation I had with RR at the time) is that there were none of the early 1962-books because the OO only started collecting (at least collecting everything) in late-1962. So, the TTA run started with #39 dated Jan '63 so would have been out about Oct '62. I am speculating now but maybe the IH #1 he got second-hand at a later date which is why it only scored an 8.0.

2 When RR started selling the OO books, they were not initially on a no-return basis. I sent back the FF Annual #2 (out of a batch of about 10 or so) which I felt was overgraded (yeah I know somone's going to tell me it got a 9.6!). When I kept in touch and RR told me about others which he was in the process of listing he said he was selling all the OO books on a no-return basis. I was probably to blame for introducing the no-return policy, therefore, although if it hadn't have been me it would have been someone else! Anyway, having seen the quality of the books apart from not liking this one, I decided to take a risk and buy more.

3 I wasn't aware that TOS 39-76 didn't appear on one of the PCE lists - I thought they had since I vaguely remember the #39 being up for $8,000! Anyway, I bought the 40-76 as soon as RR sent me a list and you've seen the grades they got in the CGC gallery!

4 I understand that there were a total of about 44 duplicates. Mention has been made of TOS 56 and there was another TOS - #48, which is in 9.8 (the same as my copy) and is currently in Heritage's Signature Auction. CGC have a list of all the duplicates for their pedigree verification purposes.

Hope this helps!

Colmoreman,

Welcome to the Boards! It's great to finally get confirmation that the PC TOSs are indeed sitting in the UK, as was rumored. In Birmingham, no less!

Did you pick up anything else from the PC collection, and have you submitted all of your PC books to CGC? I'm trying to build up a database of known CGC grades for PC books.

Totally killer TOSs, by the way! If you check back into some of the earlier threads, you'll see one where people were ooh-ing and aah-ing about the PC and Curator TOSs. Just curious why you didn't pick up the PC TOS 39. Was it not high grade enough in RR's listing, or had RR sold it already by the time you saw the list.

You should put your TOSs into the Registry so we can finally have someone unseat Capt Tripps from the top of every registry! devil.gif

yes, welcome to the boards colmore

colmore, are u ebay id colmorecomics??

i always thought the PC tos run was rumored to be in japan but , good to verify it is in the UK!

yes, as tth2 says, pls list your PC tos grades- i am ready to be blown away!

Hi guys - yes I'm colmorecomics on ebay.

I do plan to get the TOSs (and other parts of my collection!) on the Registry when I get the time - probably in the Autumn (I'm currently trying to get a website built - www.colmorecomics.com - check out the temporary site!).

I didn't buy the #39 at the time because a) I already had 1 of the 2 Bethlehem copies; and b) I couldn't afford it as well as the other PC copies I wanted (I went for quantity in the end) even though I suspected it would be a better copy. The Bethlehem copy was given a 9.4 anyway and so I'm happy that I made the right choice.

I also bought TTA 39-101, ASM 16-60 and Anns 1-5, JIM Ann 1, Marvel Tales 1 & 2, FF Anns 4 & 5, IH Ann 1 and Avengers Anns 1 & 2. I'll get a list out to you tth if you send me your email address - send to mark@colmorecomics.com - it'll remind me not to forget!

If I had more cash at the time I would have picked up others but didn't have, and had to take out a loan from the bank as I recall! I dithered and missed the JIMs, just missed the ASM 2-15 although I put in an order for them, and so didn't hang about when the others I bought were offered to me. Incidentally, having seen the debate regarding the 1 of 2 PC X-Men #1 on Comiclink, RR telephoned me and offered me the PC X-Men 1 (now in Capt Tripps possession) when he had processed it and before it was listed, for $12K! Unfortunately I'd spent to the limit and had to turn him down! If only......

See you soon....

Thanks, Colmoreman, for addressing several questions about the PC collection. I take it from your reply that you think the collection lacks a JIM83 or FFs 2 and 3, which would be consistent with them not turning up for sale.

TTH, as I have only a few slabbed PC books, I can add a couple to your database right now:

Journey Into Mystery

115 cgc 9.4

122 cgc 9.6

Thor

127 cgc 9.2

136 cgc 9.2

Fantastic Four

12 cgc 9.0 (yes, I had it slabbed at Wizard Philly at the urging of some on this board)

55 cgc 9.6

Hi Colmoreman: I believe that the number of duplicates that Roter told you was incorrect. Mark Haspel has a list and I can tell you that it is much higher than 44.

The X-men 1 that recently sold on Comiclink was a duplicate and I think that the person who sold that book is the owner of the TOS 39. Roter had it listed (TOS 39) as a 9.6 NM+ for 10K.

That must be an incredible run of TOS that you have as I saw the 48 that is on Heritage and it is incredible. I can't believe that the Capt isn't beating a path to your door! smile.gif

Best, Tom