• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

15 minutes left! Shock SuspenStories#1 STILL CLOSE TO HALF Overstreet!

19 posts in this topic

Click --> Shock SuspenStories # 1 CGC 8.0

Overstreet value: $570.

Current bid: $227!!! Less than HALF OVERSTREET! For a super-key, super high-grade, beautiful rare EC horror book!

Huge high grade Punisher Lot !!!!!

Overstreet: Who knows? Hundreds, I'm sure. Heck, the cover price is hundreds!

Current price: $13.50, that's about 21-22 cents a book!

You have to remember that the Gaines File Copies had up to 12 Super High-Grade books. Therefore, where a (8.0) 1950's Horror comic might be the highest graded (I have several Atlas books in this grade that are the highest CGC'd), an EC in (8.0) will quite possibly not even be in the top 20 of highest CGC'd copies. confused.gif

Plus, EC's have been reprinted so many times, that there really isn't as much desire to collect a NICE (i.e. FN to VF/NM) set of EC's. Either buy the best (Gaines) or by low grade.

Now if you have any (8.0) L.B. Cole cover books, we can talk! cool.gif

25% off of Guide is right about where VF ECs have sold for the past 25 years. You got what the market is.

75% of book for anything below 9.0 seems a fair price for pre-1970 stuff.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Most Silver-Age Marvels go for 40-70% unless they are keys or ASMs or ultra early 1961-1963 ones.

25% off of Guide is right about where VF ECs have sold for the past 25 years. You got what the market is.

Then Overstreet should fix their @#$%^^!! guide!! I'm sure you don't disagree.

75% of book for anything below 9.0 seems a fair price for pre-1970 stuff.

confused-smiley-013.gif

I admit not to being a big expert at this--I'm not a dealer in the sense of having a store or anything, just a long-time collector with some pretty nice books (and some big debt forcing me to part with some of my favorite gems.) boo.gif

But it seems to me the people who put out Overstreet should have a guide that accurately reflects the market. Not 75% of the market.

An even bigger joke is the CGC index every week in the Comic Buyer's Guide, that says that "Comics Published Before 1990" CGC books, 8.0s go for "NM - 16%" and 8.5s go for "NM + 11%" and 9.0s go for "NM + 63%"

I have had very few comics--CGCed or not--go for over guide. Even books that I thought *should* go over guide. Most are going under guide, and in some cases, considerably under guide. (When I say guide, I mean guide-condition. VF going below VF guide, for example.)

Where does the CBG get those CGC prices from? Are the Hulk 181s and Amazing Spider-man 129s throwing off the figures *that* much??

Another thing I'm reconsidering is whether it's worth it on a lot of my books to CGC them. Even CGCed, they're getting under guide in most cases--so what's the point? This includes books like Golden Age DCs, Timelys, major super-hero, etc. I'm not even talking VG either, I'm talking 7.5-8.5, even 9.0. The auctions just aren't getting the money I thought they should, and I wonder if I wouldn't have done just as well if I sold them raw. I spent about $1,000 on my last batch of CGCs, and I'm not so sure I got back $1,000 in the addition to the pricings I got.

I even noticed one case that made me laugh a little bit. Some time late last year, I sold my 1949 Superboy #1 (not CGC) VG for somewhere around $1,650. Then I saw in CBG where somebody sold a Superboy #1 (CGC) VG for $1,400! It was worth a few hundred more--for NOT being graded!

I would have listed it at a price that I wanted If that price disapoints try listing it at the price you want next time!

Davidking623

You're right, absolutely, I have myself to blame for that one. Penny wise, pound foolish I suppose. I figure, such a beautiful book it sells itself--why pay the extra in ebay fees? Well, this is the answer to why.

An even bigger joke is the CGC index every week in the Comic Buyer's Guide, that says that "Comics Published Before 1990" CGC books, 8.0s go for "NM - 16%" and 8.5s go for "NM + 11%" and 9.0s go for "NM + 63%"

But then what would the speculators be able to point to, in order to rationalize their "investment". The bubble is inherent on specs buying and holding their "portfolio", and being able to read BS that states their books are rising in value. It keeps them content to hold books, as they're being told their "paper value" is continuing to garner Guide + XX%.

If magazines started posting the reality of Guide fractions for resale, we'd have a meltdown on our hands. insane.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the CBG stats are averages of CGC graded copies sold on eBay.

So what's the beef with the numbers? If that's the average, then the stats are correct..... confused.gif

Jim

Another thing I'm reconsidering is whether it's worth it on a lot of my books to CGC them. Even CGCed, they're getting under guide in most cases--so what's the point? This includes books like Golden Age DCs, Timelys, major super-hero, etc. I'm not even talking VG either, I'm talking 7.5-8.5, even 9.0. The auctions just aren't getting the money I thought they should, and I wonder if I wouldn't have done just as well if I sold them raw. I spent about $1,000 on my last batch of CGCs, and I'm not so sure I got back $1,000 in the addition to the pricings I got.

A couple points:

First, you have to remember that the CBG indexes are based on CBG price guide prices, not OS guide prices. I haven't compared them recently, but I do believe there are major differences. If you want "real prices", you need to look at real data such as Comicsheet's price guide ( click here) or GPA.

Secondly, what Timely's ya got for sale!?!? hi.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the CBG stats are averages of CGC graded copies sold on eBay.

So what's the beef with the numbers? If that's the average, then the stats are correct..... confused.gif

Jim

I honestly don't know where they get their numbers.

May be I was right. May be the Hulk 181s and ASM 129s *are* throwing the numbers off that much.

(May be this issue will be resolved when CBG gets its new format. I understand there'll be more CGC information.)

Charlie

I do have a handful of Timely's left. I just have to soul-search on whether I want to CGC 'em or sell 'em raw. Specially the pretty-nice shape Captain America #45 I still have. :-)

(Course, I could CGG 'em.. ::ducking to avoid thrown eggs::)

Charlie

I do have a handful of Timely's left. I just have to soul-search on whether I want to CGC 'em or sell 'em raw. Specially the pretty-nice shape Captain America #45 I still have. :-)

(Course, I could CGG 'em.. ::ducking to avoid thrown eggs::)

Charlie

Well, I'm looking for Caps 27, 37, and 46...high grade not necessary!!