• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's build the essential 1980s comic reading list

76 posts in this topic

Batman Special 1 (1984)

I always enjoyed this one-shot story and it has some really cool Michael Golden art :cloud9:

batmanspecial1.jpg

I have to agree. Always appreciated this issue, and have it in my Batman keeper collection.

Xmen vs Teen Titans.

I thought the Hobgoblin story line got a little stale and confusing towards the end.

But ASM 238 244-252 258-261 are simply great. 274-276 (winter issue, 2 Goblin issues) are classics IMO.

ASM annual 20 with future Iron man 2020 is really good.

Xmen 140-141 is 1980 no?

Speaking of that. The Terminator 1-4, Aliens 0, 1-4 (Originals were in another title?) Predator 1-4 and Aliens v Predator 1-4 are great reads.

Last couple of original What If's were pretty awesome. I'd go with 27 31 35 43-47 (nice Siekowitz sp? covers too)

Speaking of that. The Terminator 1-4, Aliens 0, 1-4 (Originals were in another title?) Predator 1-4 and Aliens v Predator 1-4 are great reads.

I totally agree! The first Aliens series is a great read, and has some super covers.

Aliens1_98fc.jpg

I'd add in Heavy Metal. I particularly liked the move they did in the late 80's. It went from what seemed like experiments in comics to really good stories, but still stuff you never saw in mainstream comics or independents. I'd say it really came into it's own around 1986 or so.

Plus I never really like Corben and did really like Jeff Jones. But that's my bias.

Druuna stories

Burton and Cyb

Waters of Deadmoon (alright its 1990, sue me)

Lots of T&A but nothing over the top.

Funny story, I cancelled my subscription right around the time that Penthouse Comix came out and was all the rage. I finally got around to reading it and compared to hm, it was just titalating drival.

Great part is, like a lot of 80s comics you can probably buy an entire decade of 1980s hm for $200.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Metal-Comic-Magazines-Almost-all-1980s-/130572592061?pt=US_Comic_Magazines&hash=item1e66bba3bd

- Legion of Super-Heroes 290 to 294... 'The Great Darkness Saga' by Paul Levitz

i like you, Ken. you are clearly a man with taste.

in a similar vein, Legion Annual 1 is one of the best self-contained Legion stories ever. An evil computer doesn't really sound all that interesting but it really works

There are some obvious missing ones.

Walt Simonson Thor run. #337 and I'll go to the end of his writing run because Sal's art wasn't that bad - #382.

Roger Stern's Avengers Run, the highlights being #271, 273-277 (Masters of Evil storyline) and the recently collected Assault on Olympus #281 - 285. There are good stories before this too.

Stern's Spider-Man was good as well. Two stand outs are #248 (The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man) and #229 - 230 (Nothing Can Stop the Juggernaut). Others might want more in there.

John Byrne's FF run. #232–293.

Sheesh. Barely any love for Uncanny!

I always liked the 'Fall of the Mutants' storyline, 225-228, and the standalone Wolverine story from 205. Uncanny 196 is another good standalone story with Rachel (future Phoenix), but you need to be a little familiar with her in the books.

Those are just top of my head - I love the whole run from 140-up, but those are the ones that could be jumped on without knowing too much about the title.

Weirdo 1-28 The greatest UG anthology mag ever, with the editorship being handed off from R. Crumb to Peter Bagge to Aline Kominsky-Crumb, and featuring work by almost everyone in both the old and new guard of UG comix creators working at the time.

Sheesh. Barely any love for Uncanny!

I always liked the 'Fall of the Mutants' storyline, 225-228, and the standalone Wolverine story from 205. Uncanny 196 is another good standalone story with Rachel (future Phoenix), but you need to be a little familiar with her in the books.

Those are just top of my head - I love the whole run from 140-up, but those are the ones that could be jumped on without knowing too much about the title.

yeah, but the run of Uncanny under Cockrum and Claremont was the George Seifert to the Byrne, Austin and Claremont run's Bill Walsh.

just like one's a pair of two excellent coaches with championships, and the other a set of two excellent runs of books, one is still so much better than the other that the lesser gets no mentions in 'best of' discussions. look up 'overshadowed' in the dictionary and you'll get a picture of Seifert reading a copy of X-Men 162