• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

General Question

13 posts in this topic

Let's say you have a gorgeous raw copy of an early Marvel silver age semi-key book. It has a flawless white cover and presents as a 9.6 with no spine tics and sharp corners. You turn it over and the back cover shows a 1/4" tear above the lower staple - not visible at all from the front. What does this do to the grade?

No scans available - just a question about a book I'm looking at buying.

Wow, that's absolutely crazy, but thank you for the information. I wouldn't have thought much more than a drop to 9.0. I'd much rather have a book like that than some of these 9.0s and 9.2s I'm seeing with a half dozen or more spine tics. Yuck!

As I feel a bit like Woody Allen's character in sleeper after coming back to the hobby after 10 years, I find many strange changes have taken place. One general trend seems to be a scrutiny of back covers that was not nearly as prevalent before.

Better to know what the new standards than not to, though! Great board.

Wow, that's absolutely crazy, but thank you for the information. I wouldn't have thought much more than a drop to 9.0. I'd much rather have a book like that than some of these 9.0s and 9.2s I'm seeing with a half dozen or more spine tics. Yuck!

I definitely know what you mean. I guess the flip side is that I'd be bummed if I ponied up the dough for a 9.0 or 9.2 and saw a quarter-inch structural tear on the back! CGC grading tends to focus on overall structure and not just appearance, and yep, back covers get a lot more scrutiny then they did back in the day.

If you like it for the great eye appeal, then buy it!!

I once had a Spider Man #16 that had the look of a 9.2 from the

front. Unfortunately there was a 5-6" crease on the back cover and

CGC had it at 6.0. I didn't care, it was one of the sweetest looking

books I owned! Just don't overpay!!

It might grade 8.5. It's really too hard to tell without pics. But a tiny

1/4" tear would not bother me and I would love it in my collection.

Affect on actual grade likely substantial. I will say 7.5 . I love to pickup CGC books that present much better than the grade given at the price of the lower grade. Buy the book not the label! (thumbs u
^^