• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sparkle City Auctions

124 posts in this topic

Is it me or is that a fairly unattractive 9.4? :P Perhaps it's not the best scan.

Out of the slab, I'd be going VF/NM, perhaps NM- at a real squeeze.

Really? I understand why you say this about other books but if you're talking about the FF #12, I'm curious as to why.

I thought that was a pretty sharp looking book as far as CGC grading goes.

Linky.

Corners and top edge...not what I personally would expect in a NM.

I agree, the top edges look a little rough. It would be argued that it's production related. Still not very appealing though for a 9.4.

DR.X

Gotcha.

In my experience, CGC has always been a bit soft on Marvel overhang, especially if it's only a soft bending over (Out of context thread, anyone?) rather than a harsh crease or bump but I see your point too.

(thumbs u

+1

I agree, that and the tanning/dust shadow around all edges make that FF #12 overgraded to me at 9.4 but I 'm not surprised, it seems that most recent books graded by CGC were very weak.

Once again, buy the book, not the label. No way I would have paid 9.4 price for that book

Anybody know how many books in the collection? I'm curious why it didn't get a pedigree designation by CGC. From what we've seen so far, it's more impressive than pedigrees like the Rocky Mountains or Suscha News. Maybe there aren't enough books in the collection?

In the other thread the explanation was that there are almost only Marvels. I don't know if that makes any sense.

Mike

Glad to see that others are questioning the lax grading on these books....At least I'm not the only one that doesn't pretend to see the Emperors new clothes...every one of these books has enough cumulative faults to make it nigh on impossible to achieve the grades they were given...the FF 17 in 9.4 is a classic example...OK I know its a tough book in grade but have a look at the blow ups of the corners,every corner has issues not to mention the book length toning along the right edge...a 9.4??...how

ff17a.jpg

ff17b.jpg

ff17c.jpg

ff17d.jpg

And then we have the FF29 in 9.6 with a small chip from the bottom right corner

ff291.jpg

The list goes on

For a newbie with 13 posts you have been pretty active going after grading on these books? Any ulterior motives? (shrug)

I do see your point though....it's just when I see such knowledgable posts with pictures, I think shill.

Anybody know how many books in the collection? I'm curious why it didn't get a pedigree designation by CGC. From what we've seen so far, it's more impressive than pedigrees like the Rocky Mountains or Suscha News. Maybe there aren't enough books in the collection?

CGC needs to see the collection in it's entirety don't they? If a collection like this is released by the owner in pieces it might not qualify for the pedigree designation.

CGC needs to see the collection in it's entirety don't they? If a collection like this is released by the owner in pieces it might not qualify for the pedigree designation.

There was not enough books (breadth and depth) from what I understand.

Glad to see that others are questioning the lax grading on these books....At least I'm not the only one that doesn't pretend to see the Emperors new clothes...every one of these books has enough cumulative faults to make it nigh on impossible to achieve the grades they were given...the FF 17 in 9.4 is a classic example...OK I know its a tough book in grade but have a look at the blow ups of the corners,every corner has issues not to mention the book length toning along the right edge...a 9.4??...how

ff17a.jpg

ff17b.jpg

ff17c.jpg

ff17d.jpg

And then we have the FF29 in 9.6 with a small chip from the bottom right corner

ff291.jpg

The list goes on

Lax grading is good for business.