• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sparkle City Auctions

124 posts in this topic

My e-mail subject line:

Sorry, you didn't win: Fantastic Four #12 CGC 9.4 1st Meeting Hulk/Thing 2nd HIGHEST OW/WHITE

I only missed by $35,000 too. Darn. :)

That was a fun auction to watch. It went from $20K to $21K to $22K then with 5 sec left to $28K and then it ticked to... $48 K.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-12-CGC-9-4-1st-Meeting-Hulk-Thing-2nd-HIGHEST-OW-WHITE-/350493792273?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item519b0ed811&autorefresh=true

I guess that's a record price for that book by a wide margin, right? Is this one going to appear as a 9.6 next year?

I was surprised at the FF 5 in 9.2 going for just $17,8K

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-5-CGC-9-2-1st-Dr-Doom-White-Marvel-Silver-Age-/350493789728?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item519b0ece20

Too much spine wear to get a solid 9.2 price?

In any case, these auctions are a blast to watch as they go out.

I'm sure that FF #12 was undergraded. I took a strong shot at it but wasn't prepared to lay out double what it was worth.

There were 3 bidders over $45K on that book.

:eek:

Is it me or is that a fairly unattractive 9.4? :P Perhaps it's not the best scan.

How do you post a clickable spoiler? I'm asking because of your sig.

You sandwich the text between *

* (But do not include the *)

Is it me or is that a fairly unattractive 9.4? :P Perhaps it's not the best scan.

Structurally it seemed like a nice copy (as do many of the books) but many of the Saginaw books seem to suffer from transfer staining where the interior inks break down and the oils from the interiors migrate into and discolour the covers.

Structurally it seemed like a nice copy (as do many of the books) but many of the Saginaw books seem to suffer from transfer staining where the interior inks break down and the oils from the interiors migrate into and discolour the covers.

Lots of Marvels have the same problem, including PCs.

Glad to see that others are questioning the lax grading on these books....At least I'm not the only one that doesn't pretend to see the Emperors new clothes...every one of these books has enough cumulative faults to make it nigh on impossible to achieve the grades they were given...the FF 17 in 9.4 is a classic example...OK I know its a tough book in grade but have a look at the blow ups of the corners,every corner has issues not to mention the book length toning along the right edge...a 9.4??...how

ff17a.jpg

ff17b.jpg

ff17c.jpg

ff17d.jpg

And then we have the FF29 in 9.6 with a small chip from the bottom right corner

ff291.jpg

The list goes on