• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best Green Lantern story for kids?

23 posts in this topic

My son is interested in the Green Lantern. He's familiar with the character through the toys and his appearances on the Brave & the Bold cartoon (which is a hoot, BTW).

So, I thought I might try to find him some GL comics. I'm not really a Green Lantern guy, the ones I'm familiar with are by O'Neil and Johns and we're not ready to learn that Speedy's a junkie or meet any blood-covered Red Lanterns just yet.

So, what stories do you recommend from the Silver, Bronze or Copper ages?

Issue numbers would be appreciated! And please keep in mind, these are for a six-year-old, so nothing too complex or violent. Thanks!

No clue. I've only read the O'Neil/Adams stuff; much to "mature", as you said, for a kid.

But, based on the books I've seen (GL#1; giant puppet anyone?), you probably would be good with the original SA GL books. DC reprinted all of that stuff in their Archive TPB's. That's where I would look. Most people have said the early DC SA stuff was done for kids, where Marvel was done for a slightly older crowd (HS to college age).

Green Lantern Rebirth is a great jumping on point.Geoff Johns rocks! :headbang:

Agree that it was a great story. I thought it was really well-done and clever.

But not a good story for a kid. A little too "mature" and too much back story required.

My son is interested in the Green Lantern. He's familiar with the character through the toys and his appearances on the Brave & the Bold cartoon (which is a hoot, BTW).

So, I thought I might try to find him some GL comics. I'm not really a Green Lantern guy, the ones I'm familiar with are by O'Neil and Johns and we're not ready to learn that Speedy's a junkie or meet any blood-covered Red Lanterns just yet.

Issue numbers would be appreciated! And please keep in mind, these are for a six-year-old, so nothing too complex or violent. Thanks!

The Green Lantern Chronicles are full color and, starting with Showcase 1st appearances, in order of publication. And they're fairly cheap too (check eBay). I think there's three volumes so far.

A six year old could probably find a few favorite stories as the whole Green Lantern tale unfolds.

And don't forget that Green Lantern Annual #1 80 Page modern replica comic that has silver age content. Dollar bin, probably. (thumbs u

412mwfwpVBL._SL500_AA300_.jpgc1_48291_0_GiantGreenLanternAnnual1TheBat.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone, and thanks, Davenport, I wasn't familiar with either of those books.

You're welcome. :)

I'm really not sure why that DC's Chronicles line doesn't get more play, but between the high end Archives hardcovers and low end black & white Showcase trades it's a great value. The 1st Batman volume is especially sweet with the pre-Robin 'Tec appearances reprinted in chronological order. :cloud9:

a4_211648_1_TheGreenLanternChronicles1TPSh.jpg

I would say Emerald Dawn (the 1st, not the crappy 2nd series) from the early 90s. 6 issue limited series. Should have drawn the movie from that. I would say best "pre-Geoff" story in the past 20 years?

In September's Previews, DC advertised a new monthly Green Lantern comic for kids...

Green Lantern: The Animated Series (issue 0)

Should be on sale November 30th.

The Green Lantern Chronicles are full color and, starting with Showcase 1st appearances, in order of publication. And they're fairly cheap too (check eBay). I think there's three volumes so far.

A six year old could probably find a few favorite stories as the whole Green Lantern tale unfolds.

And don't forget that Green Lantern Annual #1 80 Page modern replica comic that has silver age content. Dollar bin, probably. (thumbs u

412mwfwpVBL._SL500_AA300_.jpgc1_48291_0_GiantGreenLanternAnnual1TheBat.jpg

Those are great suggestions. I'd also recommend DC Special #17 and #20 as cheap samplers of GL Silver Age (reprinted of course). These books were how this child of the '70s was first introduced to the earlier GL stories.

116071.jpg.f1a03463730a031ed13756a050ad27ad.jpg

116072.jpg.e585c03f66a63b585b99cac6fd3219ac.jpg

I would say Emerald Dawn (the 1st, not the crappy 2nd series) from the early 90s. 6 issue limited series. Should have drawn the movie from that. I would say best "pre-Geoff" story in the past 20 years?

+1. This is the storyline that the movie should have followed. :frustrated:

The Denny O'Neil story with ex-govorner of Maryland, ex-felon, Nixon's Veep for 6 years, Spiro T. Agnew as the mean orphanage owner.

5294021_1.jpg300px-Green_Lantern_-_Green_Arrow_Vol_1_4.jpg

"And A Child Shall Destroy Them!"

14.jpg

Featured Characters:

■ Green Lantern

■ Green Arrow

Supporting Characters:

■ Black Canary

■ Carol Ferris

Villains:

■ Grandy the Cook

■ Sybil

3e3e.jpg

Other Characters:

■ Jason Belmore

Locations:

■ Meadowhill School

Items:

■ Green Lantern Ring

■ Trick Arrows

Vehicles:

■ Green Arrow's car

Synopsis for "And A Child Shall Destroy Them!"

While walking down the street, Carol Ferris bumps into a stranger, and is subsequently cursed by a young girl named Sybil, and she falls in a seizure.

A month later, Dinah Lance decides to take a job as a teacher at Meadowhill School, accompanied by her friends Oliver Queen and Hal Jordan. They are suddenly attacked by a flock of birds, requiring the men to put on their costumes to protect Dinah. When the birds are dealt with, they decide to see if her new boss knows anything about the occurrence.

They are greeted at the door by the man who Carol had bumped into earlier, who introduces himself as Grandy, the cook. He is accompanies by Sybil. The owner of the school, Jason Belmore, introduces himself, but expresses disapproval of the costumed heroes, prompting Green Arrow and Green Lantern to leave. Strangely, Mr. Belmore seems to have made them leave at Grandy's behest. Grandy directs Sybil to make the heroes sorry.

Outside, Green Arrow and Green Lantern notice Carol hanging around their car in a wheelchair. Carol has them drive her away, and explains her case. She reveals that Belmore is her fiancé, but that he seems changed. Suddenly, Green Arrow loses control of the vehicle, which crashes. If not for Green Lantern's ring they might all have died. They soon realize that they have left Dinah in danger.

After dismissing her final class early, Dinah realizes that the children are oddly quiet and inanimate. Grandy appears and chastises her, ominously promising punishment for the early dismissal. Dinah returns to her room and dons her costume as Black Canary. She easily defeats a reluctant Mr. Belmore and Grandy, but Sybil's powers cause her to collapse on the floor. She is dragged to the cellar by the children, where Grandy releases angry wasps to attack her.

Green Arrow and Green Lantern arrive to save her, but they are soon incapacitated by Sybil's powers. Green Arrow uses a trick arrow to distract her, allowing them to escape and find Dinah. Green Lantern deals with the wasps, and Dinah is alive, fortunately. Green Lantern angrily confronts Grandy, who once agains calls upon Sybil to punish him. This time, though, Sybil refuses, saying she wants to be like a normal child. When Grandy angrily slaps Sybil across the face, she uses her powers again – not to punish Green Lantern, but instead to bring the wing of the building down around them. Green Lantern and Green Arrow manage to escape with Mr. Belmore, Dinah, and the children, but Grandy and Sybil are lost inside, and are presumed to have perished when the wing collapses.

Before leaving, Green Lantern reveals his identity to Carol, and confesses his love for her. She is unsurprised, and accepts his feelings, finally. As they walk away, Sybil appears to be seen standing over Hal's discarded domino mask. Has she somehow survived?

Notes

According to the introduction by Giordano for Green Lantern/Green Arrow Volume Two. The likenesses of Sybil and Grandy were actually those of President Richard Nixon and Vice President Spiro Agnew respectively – neither of whom was popular with Neal Adams.