• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Director Departs Dredd Movie

37 posts in this topic

Not a good sign...

In an unusual turn of events, director Pete Travis has departed the "2000 A.D" comic book adaptation Dredd during the post-production stage. The LA Times has the news, reporting that Travis was removed from the project shortly after photography was completed due to "creative disagreements" with the producers.

Alex Garland, who both wrote and produced Dredd, is now in charge of overseeing the final film and may go after a co-director title on the film, especially as reshoots could be on the horizon.

Set in a dystopian future, the adaptation of the British comic book anthology (within which Judge Dredd is a recurring story) focuses on a police force given the power to act as judge, jury and executioner to whomsoever they perceive to be part of the criminal element.

The source material was previously adapted into a film in 1995 with Sylvester Stallone in the lead. This version features Karl Urban as Dredd with a supporting cast that includes Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headey.

Dredd is still planned for release in 2D and 3D on September 21, 2012

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=83035#ixzz1a8DoRZ8j

More bad than good :slapfight:

Not necessarily. It sounds like a fight over final cut between studio and director. I saw Vantage Point...he's not Kubrick.

Having 28 days later to look back on, I am ok with Garland taking over at this point.

Why, why , why , why , why , why is it so hard to make a good Dredd Movie.

Really, what is their problem? How hard can this be; one of the best characters in comics with 30+ years of stories to work with.

WTF??

Really, what is their problem? How hard can this be; one of the best characters in comics with 30+ years of stories to work with.

WTF??

Whoah. Decaffeinated, bro.

I think this is still gonna be THE Dredd movie.

WTF??

Whoah. Decaffeinated, bro.

I think this is still gonna be THE Dredd movie.

All is well...

2011-04-19_120432_Gaze_Into_the_Fist_of_Dredd.jpg

WTF??

I said the same thing about X-Men, Spider-Man etc etc etc...

WTF??

I said the same thing about X-Men, Spider-Man etc etc etc...

To be honest if they made THE Dredd movie it would likely appeal to a very limited market....us...geeks. I mean really, Dredd is awsome but most of the feedback that I've gotten over the years from friends & co-workers has been less than stellar. The Dredd from the comics will never capture the dry, British, tougue-in-cheek humour that we all love. It will end up being another overblown, American action movie.

When theY get rewarded for drek like hangover two, who should be surprised that they won't take a chance.

It could be so great, fantastic future stuff (which by the way is all coming true- why I don't invent fattie wheels for all the obese people; unemployment super high as jobs get automated, those mail order robots you can have se....never mind)

If you take the action side you are doomed , make it a detective story that had insane action with it, but make it a detective/mystery story , get them from streets of mega city to hall of justice, get some academy training scenes, with respect to Samuel L Jackson please don't go making judge Anderson black when she is not, fine make Hershey semi Asian if you must, stick to the facts, pay some guy an extra million to be like the stig and keep the darn helmet on. See some serious mega city power brokers who are controlling things, see Dredds in a sleep machine...

Cursed earth muties (tie in some deportation themes like we have today) , some Aussie judges - Americans always like an Aussie (fine call him judge foster if you must, they will get it)

Could there be an easier movie to make ??????

Take China Town, Bullitt, french connection, minority report, children of men, robocop (ok maybe not) add some zarjazz and away you go.

(you could even have a Canadian judge that they laugh at all the time)

Not a good sign...

In an unusual turn of events, director Pete Travis has departed the "2000 A.D" comic book adaptation Dredd during the post-production stage. The LA Times has the news, reporting that Travis was removed from the project shortly after photography was completed due to "creative disagreements" with the producers.

What could this be about? hm

Not a good sign...

Final Cut.

Not a good sign...

Final Cut.

Are they still aiming for a hard R rating or does this mean they changed their minds? (shrug)

I think they must be quibbling over how to make the most money, instead of how to make the best movie :P
Have you seen ''Vantage Point''? :baiting:

I'm still shocked they let this guy direct Dredd.

If they were serious they should have gotten Paul Verhoeven. :headbang:

Take China Town, Bullitt, french connection, minority report, children of men, robocop (ok maybe not) add some zarjazz and away you go.

(you could even have a Canadian judge that they laugh at all the time)

Heh heh heh...zarjazz!

Thanks, Doc Joe! I forgot about the awesome power of zarjazz.