• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crazy like a Fox

9 posts in this topic

I recently discovered Foxy Fagan Comics, first run, and I'm obsessed with completing the 7 issue run. I've got 4 so far with a dupe of #7. They are a hard to find obscure set of comics I'm finding out. Not sure if they are truly rare or if collectors just don't want to part with them. I know I wouldn't after reading the history of that series.

I'm missing #1, 4, and 6. Does anyone else collect this series? There's none on the census so I'm a little concerned that this quest might take a few years to finish. Here's the 2 of the 4, well 5 actually if you count the duplicate #7, that I have so far. #7 should be coming up on grading status any day now...tick tick tick 3 months gone. #2 and #3 are in the mail from Metro. Can't wait to look at those.

FoxyFagan7Front.jpg

FoxyFagan5Front.jpg

I recently discovered Foxy Fagan Comics, first run, and I'm obsessed with completing the 7 issue run. I've got 4 so far with a dupe of #7. They are a hard to find obscure set of comics I'm finding out. Not sure if they are truly rare or if collectors just don't want to part with them. I know I wouldn't after reading the history of that series.

Can you give us the short version of the series' history?

The short history is Foxy Fagan ran for 7 issues in 1947 and was created by Joe Barbara (other half of Hanna-Barbara) and Henry Eisenberg who worked for Hanna-Barbara drawing on Tom and Jerry, Huckleberry Hound, Flintstones, and many others.

There's no credits at all for Barbara or Eisenberg due to their contracts at MGM for producing on Tom and Jerry and the other cartoons and comic books at that time. So they were basically moonlighting from MGM and created Dearfield Publishing on the sly.

Interesting facts about Harvey Eisenberg:

->Inker/Assistant Animator at Fleishcer studio, 1930-31 and at Van Buren studio from 30-36.

->Worked on Tom and Jerry from 1941 to 45 as a layout artist.

->Worked again with Hanna-Barbera from 1960-1965 as a Character Designer, Layout artist, and storyboarder.

->He was the first to adapt "Huckleberry Hound" and "Yogi Bear" to comic books for Dell's Four Color comic book.

More info on Eisenberg here: Harvey Eisenberg History

More Dearfield Publishing history: Dearfield

"Foxy Fagan was a comic book published around 1947 by an obscure company called Dearfield Publishing. It never found an audience and ran only seven issues but it makes for quite an interesting bit of funnybook history. It was drawn by a gentleman named Harvey Eisenberg, who was one of the great draw-ers of silly creatures. He was the main artist for decades on the Tom & Jerry comic books, which were really good-looking comics. Eisenberg had a way of "posing" his characters that other cartoonists would avidly study. He gave them weight and personality and movement. He also did this with a lot of the comics based on the earlier Hanna-Barbera cartoon shows like The Flintstones and Huckleberry Hound.

Even more intriguing is who his partner was in the Foxy Fagan enterprise. It was Joe Barbera, moonlighting (without credit) from his day job, which then was co-directing (with Bill Hanna) the Tom & Jerry cartoons for MGM. Barbera apparently got it into his head that there was money in publishing comic books, which of course was not one of Joe's sounder financial decisions. He and Eisenberg created the comic, he wrote it, Eisenberg drew it, Joe assembled a group of backers and put in some bucks of his own...and they lost a lot of money."