• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron-man 55 vs marvel Spotlight 5

34 posts in this topic

Marvel Spotlight... at least if the Ghost Rider movie does well. However, I wouldn't be entirely surprised by an Iron Man movie someday either (though I would be suprised by a Thanos movie.)...

Does no one just COLLECT comics anymore?

I don't understand this question. Are you implying that a "collector" should have no care as to the value of his books?

Are you implying that a "collector" should have no care as to the value of his books?

Nope, but prices, speculators and movie mania spikes shouldn't be the ONLY reasons.

Are you implying that a "collector" should have no care as to the value of his books?

Nope, but prices, speculators and movie mania spikes shouldn't be the ONLY reasons.

But isn't that what makes a collectable...a collectable?!?!?....

Not for me, and things that are "collectible", are formed from grassroots sources where value is not much of a concern. In fact, most collectibles are worth squat and collectors couldn't care less.

I think you're getting mixed up between that and the speculator-friendly "investment collectible" BS that dealers promote.

Not for me, and things that are "collectible", are formed from grassroots sources where value is not much of a concern. In fact, most collectibles are worth squat and collectors couldn't care less.

I think you're getting mixed up between that and the speculator-friendly "investment collectible" BS that dealers promote.

I understand your reasoning JC, but I don't agree with your statement above that most collectibles are worth squat and collectors couldn't care less.

I now see people bringing in their spoons, perfume bottles, avon, drink stirers, Hard Rock Pins, records, stamps, Baseball cards, Comics, Coins, movie memoribilia, movie posters, beanie babies etc to collectible shows on TV and antique fairs all the time.

20 years ago it may not have been a concern, but people want to know what their stuff is worth now days even if it's not the main driver behind what they are collecting.

So while I and most people collect what we like....I think that at the end of the day the vast majority of collectors due care about the value of the collectibles. thumbsup2.gif

I now see people bringing in their spoons, perfume bottles, avon, drink stirers, Hard Rock Pins, records, stamps, Baseball cards, Comics, Coins, movie memoribilia, movie posters, beanie babies etc to collectible shows on TV and antique fairs all the time.

20 years ago it may not have been a concern, but people want to know what their stuff is worth now days even if it's not the main driver behind what they are collecting

But are these folks collectors... or trying to cash in on family hand-me-downs or "treasure" they found at the local yard sale?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I love those shows, and I also notice that the vast majority of the people ARE NOT the original collectors. They're family, friends, estate auction addicts, yardsale scammers, and other people "looking to make a buck", with a lines like:

"My father used to collect these"

"These have been in our family for generations"

"I bought this at an estate/farm/etc. auction"

In fact, I can't remember too many people coming in and stating "Yes, I'm a huge collector of X and I really need to know its value!" or similar. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think you misunderstood JCs point. Many collectible fields go on undiscovered by just folks who just like to collect something that appeals to them. They seek out and amass all variety of samples of the genre they collect. In time they meet other people with similar pursuits and interests and trade them, and a market develops as certain items are known to be tougher to get.

Eventially, the genre can taks off as a "collectible" and attracts new collectors.

But JCs point was that it starts out harmelessly with no interest in potential riches down the line, just a single-minded "gotta-have-em" maniacal pursuit. Think comics in the 40s and 50s before it got organizized.

I love those shows, and I also notice that the vast majority of the people ARE NOT the original collectors. They're family, friends, estate auction addicts, yardsale scammers, and other people "looking to make a buck", with a lines like:

"My father used to collect these"

"These have been in our family for generations"

"I bought this at an estate/farm/etc. auction"

In fact, I can't remember too many people coming in and stating "Yes, I'm a huge collector of X and I really need to know its value!" or similar. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually the shows I see like Kovels collectors attic or something to that affect, showcase collections that people have ammased and they talk value all the time. I think on Antique roadshow you see a lot of hand me downs, but again I don't know of any collectors that aren't interested in the value of their collections. It may not factor into the equation when it comes time to buy and item, but certainly people don't want to pay more than fair market value for an item, and knowing what the item is actively trading at or worth is part of that equation.

JC do you have a database or spreadsheet's that list the comics in your collections, grades, values etc. You may not, but I think if we took a poll on the forums, most people due track these things, which doesn't make them speculators Vs collectors per say.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think you misunderstood JCs point. Many collectible fields go on undiscovered by just folks who just like to collect something that appeals to them. They seek out and amass all variety of samples of the genre they collect. In time they meet other people with similar pursuits and interests and trade them, and a market develops as certain items are known to be tougher to get.

Eventially, the genre can taks off as a "collectible" and attracts new collectors.

But JCs point was that it starts out harmelessly with no interest in potential riches down the line, just a single-minded "gotta-have-em" maniacal pursuit. Think comics in the 40s and 50s before it got organizized.

No I understood what he was saying I just disagree with that assessment in this day in age. It still happens, but more and more people bring value into the equation with their collecting Vs the pure forms of collecting that existed decades ago.

What the percentages are I couldn't state as this is just my opinion, becuase of the same reasons you stated. People start top collect for the fun of collections and as they acquire more pieces, money and or value comes in to play to do possible trades and or purchases needed to add to the collection.

Then they start to put a value on the collection in terms of what they paid for each item etc.

All I am saying is the the population of pure collectors out their has declined over the years, which I can't necessarily prove. The reason I am confident in this theory is that for the past 20 years I have collected:

Baseball Cards

Comic Books

Avon Bottles

Hot Wheels

Action Figures

Coins

Stamps

Records

Wine

So I have a pretty good grasp of collecting in general and what makes people collect. JC may disagree and that's fine, because eveyone has differen't experiences in their lives that helps them formulate their opinions. flowerred.gif

Actually the shows I see like Kovels collectors attic or something to that affect, showcase collections that people have ammased and they talk value all the time.

Obviously, as no one is going to showcase something virtually worthless like "the world's biggest collection of Life magazines", as that wouldn't bring in the viewers. People like to see valuable, extensive collections, not piles of what they see as "worthless junk".

Of course, true collectors would see the inherent collectible value, but again, that's not what the general public will tune in for.

JC do you have a database or spreadsheet's that list the comics in your collections, grades, values etc.

No way, and I really don't have the faintest clue exactly what I have or even an estimate on what it's worth. Last thing on my mind.

back to the question..... my vote goes to Marvel Spotlight #5. As a kid, late 70's early 80's, Everyone thought ghost rider was cool as helll.Thanos, there were few who knew who he was, he had some mystique as a villain, but thats about it. Thanos wasn't a factor until The Surfer #34 & infinity guantlet age stuff. Ghost rider , baby! thumbsup2.gif