• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC or Marvel- Who is Currently Winning the Media Wars?

53 posts in this topic

Comic Books

Cartoons

Movies

Reprints and Trades

Toys

Cut and paste and tell us what you think.

Comic Books- as a Marvel reader, it feels like DC has had the better stories and arcs for the past few years.

Cartoons- this one is tricky for me. DC has dominated cartoons for over a decade, but Marvel has caught up. Surpassed? Not sure.

Movies- hands down, Marvel wins this category.

Reprints and Trades- I'd have to give the edge to DC here. I've always enjoyed their selections more than Marvel's.

My point, if I have one, is that Marvel seems to be winning the only battle that matters- that of public opinion of the masses as a whole. Witness the latest Avengers trailer and this past Summers Blockbusters.

As a DC fan my opinion is probably biased, but DC does seem to hold its own with comic book films. There's Batman of course, but also films like Road to Perdition, A History of Violence, The Losers, Red, and other decent works.

Maybe someone can post the reality of Marvel vs. DC with box office math. "Hands down" just seems strong at first blush.

I'd go with DC. You say "witness the Avengers trailer" and the associated movies from this summer.

Well, I'd ay wait until next summer to see the Avengers crumble next to the Dark Knight Rises.

DC set the stage with Superman I-II, Burton's Batman, and then Nolan's Batman masterpiece (so far). Yes--it took Marvel until 2000 to put out a decent comic book movie (with X-Men), and now they're old hats at it.

But I guarantee you more non-fans (ie., women, casual movie goers) will see Dark Knight Rises over The Avengers, Robert Downey Jr. et al., or no.

To me, that's the "media war" of which you speak.

Marvel, look at how many movies were released. DC had Batman and Green Lantern and thats it (shrug)

DC will soon be coming out with a ton of movies trying to emulate their 1950's and 1960's formulae: pink skies and snow men.

:baiting:

Seriously though, DC seems to be diversifying with movies like Road To Perdition and RED and that seems to be the wave of the future.

As far as Superheroes Marvel wins hands down.

As far as Superheroes Marvel wins hands down.

Superheroes known to the general public?

I don't think Marvel has many more than DC comics... (actually I would say less).

Might be true, but the Marvel superhero movies generally have better curb appeal than DC movies do.

DC knocked it out of the park with Batman, but that's about it.

Marvel, DC has a few cool toys but they don't know how to play with them. Adding a bunch of CGI ribbing to the costumes doesn't make your movie cooler and the new 52 is the worst stuff I've ever read.

Having said that I only read like two current Marvel titles and zero DC.

However the Marvel movies and comics are much more respectful of the characters (except for those made by fox), and the production design is always much better than DC. Even the look of the Batman films rubs me the wrong way... don't get me started on the horrible cookie monster voice.

I'm talking about previous knowledge of the characters.

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash are all Pop Culture Icons.

As far as Marvel goes I think only Spidey and maybe Captain America are well known characters to the non-comic audience.

I would argue that Wolverine is way more well known than the Flash after all the X-Men movies and cartoons in the last 10-20 years...

I would think Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern...then maybe Flash.

For Marvel its probably Spider-man, X-men, Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Thor and then maybe FF and Daredevil.

Look at the toy aisle at any store. Its dominated by Marvel stuff.

Dc currently.

Toys: DC Universe. Best toys out!

Comics: it's pretty close. I have a good sized pull list. But Johns is the best writer of the two camps.

Movies: Marvel until the next batman. Say what you like, the last batman trashed the marvel movies.

Cartoons; marvel will never top the batman animated series or justice league.

Dc currently.

Toys: DC Universe. Best toys out!

Comics: it's pretty close. I have a good sized pull list. But Johns is the best writer of the two camps.

Movies: Marvel until the next batman. Say what you like, the last batman trashed the marvel movies.

Cartoons; marvel will never top the batman animated series or justice league.

(worship)

batman animated series. superman animated. justice league....all these were great cartoons.

as for movies quality over quantity for me...as bad as gl and superman were lets not forget the spiderman, ghost rider, xmen, xmen wolverine and fantastic 4 movies...im probably missing a few

toys- i dont know.

trades- ill say dc but tbh i havent read much marvel after world war hulk

As a DC fan my opinion is probably biased, but DC does seem to hold its own with comic book films. There's Batman of course, but also films like Road to Perdition, A History of Violence, The Losers, Red, and other decent works.

Maybe someone can post the reality of Marvel vs. DC with box office math. "Hands down" just seems strong at first blush.

Other than Batman, I didn't know that any of those movies were even "DC" movies, so I can't see how that makes DC the winner. And I speak as someone with a Lone Wolf and Cub avatar and lover of RTP and the rest of the movies you listed. I really am thinking costumes, for the purposes of this discussion.

Interesting point, though.

Comic Books: Currently, DC is killing and the 52 relaunch has been pretty epic. I only subscribe to one DC title currently.

Cartoons: I don't have cable and do not watch a lot of TV these days, outside of Netflix or DVDs. I did watch the Black Adam cartoon and thought it was pretty cool.

Movies: Marvel will likely dominate come May, but the machine that is the Dark Knight under Nolan will likely crush. Hard to beat out a franchise that had so much attention brought to it by the death of one its stars - that and Nolan is an epic storyteller and director. I've made it no secret that I liked the last Batman movie, but did not think it was that great.

Reprints and Trades: A lot of back and forth on the TPB market here, but I'd say DC is outdoing Marvel here.

Toys: Marvel.

If I had to crown an overall media champ right this second, it'd have to be DC with the coverage the DC relaunch has received. This from the mouth of a longtime Marvel fan.

I'm talking about previous knowledge of the characters.

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash are all Pop Culture Icons.

As far as Marvel goes I think only Spidey and maybe Captain America are well known characters to the non-comic audience.

But I'm not talking about previous knowledge. I'm talking about current population awareness. For instance, Blade giving Marvel a big boost on the big screen, even though he was a blacksploitation third rate character.

Other than Batman, I didn't know that any of those movies were even "DC" movies, so I can't see how that makes DC the winner. And I speak as someone with a Lone Wolf and Cub avatar and lover of RTP and the rest of the movies you listed. I really am thinking costumes, for the purposes of this discussion.

Interesting point, though.

Even restricting it to "costumes" DC had Watchmen, V for Vendetta, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, etc.

I'm not saying DC is the box office winner, just that Marvel doesn't automatically win "hands down". It's a spreadsheet question with a factual answer, if anybody has crunched the numbers.

Comic Books

Cartoons

Movies

Reprints and Trades

Toys

Cut and paste and tell us what you think.

Comic Books- as a Marvel reader, it feels like DC has had the better stories and arcs for the past few years.

Cartoons- this one is tricky for me. DC has dominated cartoons for over a decade, but Marvel has caught up. Surpassed? Not sure.

Reprints and Trades- I'd have to give the edge to DC here. I've always enjoyed their selections more than Marvel's.

My point, if I have one, is that Marvel seems to be winning the only battle that matters- that of public opinion of the masses as a whole. Witness the latest Avengers trailer and this past Summers Blockbusters.

Marvel,as I see DC on its last legs comic book wise. DC just blew their big load with the new reboot and only managed to beat Marvel by a half a percentage point! It will be all downhill marketwise from here on in with the new reboot!

DC will continue to make money off their two trick pony Batman/Superman, but their monthly comic book system will be on life support in 5 years.I wouldn`t be surprised if Warner pulled the plug on the majority of their monthly floppys.

With Marvel the characters are now run by a top notch marketing company(Disney), and they will continue to be relevant in movies,videogames,action figures and comic books.

Marvel rules!

"nuff said"

marvel-comics-540x405.jpg