• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC or Marvel- Who is Currently Winning the Media Wars?

53 posts in this topic

this thread needs more smack talk...

I prefer both companies silver age/bronze age out put to anything they are doing currently.

Most of the books both companies are putting out currently are ugly and crass...now that I think about it same goes for a lot of the films.

I still say go to Target or Walmart and see how much marvel merch vs dc merch is on the shelves and that will tell you who is winning the dollars of the common consumer. I see way more Marvel movies, toys, clothing etc on the shelves than I do DC.

Shoot even check the costume aisle...count the DC characters vs Marvel characters.

I may keep a count of trick-or-treaters that come to my door...

Please do! That would be awesome. I would encourage everyone to do the same this Halloween. Great idea. :applause:

I'm not sure why there's even a divide and why anyone would care "which side is winning"?

There's still room for improvement on the Batman movies. Christian Bale will continue to lisp his way through the role like he always does I'm sure.

They're relaunching Spider-man so hopefully they'll improve those too. Tobey, although he looked the part, needs to figure out that screen acting IS different than stage acting. The audience in a movie theater doesn't want to hang on every syllable of a word like a stage audience does.

Oh I think we are all winning at this point...I mean the number of comic book movies alone is insane compared to when we were kids and you got one once every 5-10 years...now we get like 4 a summer.

I can get spidey and green lantern tshirts for 10 dollars at target instead of 25 from the comic store.

Its an awesome time to be a superhero fan...even if you never read a comic book :o

Not to mention the graphic novel sections in my libraries now are huge. Remember when all that was there was a few garfield and how to draw books and maybe a book on the history of comic books? Now there are whole sections in Adult and Teen and Childrens areas with nothing but comics from the golden age to modern. Superhero, Indy, everything...its awesome.

We are just having fun debating the question the OP posted.

DC is bringing alot of new blood into the stores with their new #1s.

What do you think about what ComicConnoseiur wrote?

^

I

I

I

I

When a company makes the drastic changes like DC did that`s a sign something isn`t right. Bells are going off that the suits at Warner are not happy about the subpar sales of their comic books over the last few years. This reboot seems like a last ditch Hail Mary effort by DC to save their monthly floppy from extinction. It will take awhile though,as they won`t just disappear.

Let`s revisit this in about a year. btw I hope I am wrong,but you can sense a urgency and panic about the whole DC reboot situation. 2c

You are correct that "something isn't right", but it's the entire industry, not just DC. Marvel doesn't have the balls to do what DC did, and I wish they did. My Pull List used to have more Marvel than DC titles, but right around Identity Crisis, DC's writing got much better as Marvel's continued to decline. House of M was the wake-up call for me, that was 3 issues worth of comic stretched out into 7 issues. Just horrible (and one of the reasons I skipped DC's Flashpoint aka DC's HOM).

All Marvel does is have event after event, with none of them ever ending, they just leapfrog to the next crossover, a new #1, infinite variant covers, etc. The ending of HOM sucked, the ending of World War Hulk sucked, the ending of Civil War sucked, etc. Marvel has continued to decline over the past decade, story and art, to the point where I get one Marvel comic a month and that's X-Factor, and that's only because it's Peter David. And if Steve McNiven and Jim Cheung ever defect to DC it's all over for Marvel. Oh wait, they'd still have Humberto Ramos and Joe Mad :sick: (And what's with all the new no-name Italian artists? They work cheaper?) I would come back to Marvel and give them another try if they have the stones to follow DC's example. Actually, they'd better follow DC's example, or their comic division will be out of business before DC's is.

I see DC trying to follow, and copy Marvel`s benchmark example.

Where do you see this? Certainly not in the current comics. All Marvel does is use ham-fisted ret-con instead of MANNING UP and doing what DC did.

Maybe you enjoy the current DC stories better then Marvel`s, but if you asked the majority of comic readers and non- readers which universe they would understand better they would pick Marvel.

Well, if you can make absolute statements with no facts to back them up, so can I: you're wrong, they'd pick DC.

Why?The Marvel Universe is easier to understand and more fan friendly.

Are you serious? You honestly don't think Marvel's continuity is as screwed up as DC's? If so, you lack perspective and view these things with blinders and rose-colored glasses on. I would love to re-add some Marvel titles to my pull list if they had the cajones to do what DC did. Look had badly they screwed up Hulk and Spider-Man. And I have an entire comic that tries to explain Wolverine's continuity, and it makes absolutely no sense.

The Marvel Universe doesn`t need to be rebooted because it was built from the ground up as a coherent universe,

In 1963 it was a coherent universe. DC only has 52 universes, Marvel has many, many more.

while the DC Universe wasn`t built that way. DC was just taking a bunch of different universes(Superman.Batman,Wonder Woman), and trying to stick them together to make them fit.

That's incorrect.

From the beginning the DC Universe was flawed,and has always been trying to play catch up to Marvel`s benchmark.

Typical Marvel zombie. Sad. No one with that narrow a mind can be considered a connoisseur of comics, that's for sure.

The question was asked "DC or Marvel- Who is Currently Winning the Media Wars?"

I am looking at for who is winning overall in the different media.Your looking at whose comic stories you enjoy more right now. Marvel clearly is ahead for the most important reason of all. They are ahead in movies and video games.

You can sell all the DC reboots you want,but more people will watch the upcoming Avenger movie then all the DC reboots combined! Same with more people are playing the Marvel vs Capcom 3 video game than reading the DC reboot.

Now for me being a Marvel Zombie my favorite two characters are Batman and Superman. Unfortunately I now have to enjoy their adventures thru movies,animated series and videogames because their comic book stories have become spoon!

;)

You are full of :censored:

Batman and Robin has been a GREAT read. One of my favorite titles.

Red Robin as well!

Batman has been so-so, and Detective after the bat-woman krap has been a good read also. To say that the titles are spoon.. No, not even close.

Wanna talk about some krap being put out.

ASM- dropped the title after a few years, just too krappy.

Avengers JRJR has quite possibly the worst art I have ever seen. Just terrible, makes the book garbage.

Daredevil was great with Brubaker, they lost me with the shadowland non-sense

To say that Marvel is putting out better books is insane.

And I am on the verge of buying a PS3 just for the DCU game. Best looking game I have ever seen. (Marvel vs. Capcom).. No thanks.

Its an awesome time to be a superhero fan...even if you never read a comic book :o

That's the bottom line, isn't it. And it's only going to get better. :cloud9:

Personally I wish DC would do some literary novels. I'm having a such blast reading all those apocalypse novels (Robopocalypse, Day to Day Armageddon, The Infection) and can't help but see what's possible for imaginative fiction. What DC's done in the past is aimed at the juvenile market. Which is fine, but there's an adult fiction market not being served.

Oh I think we are all winning at this point...I mean the number of comic book movies alone is insane compared to when we were kids and you got one once every 5-10 years...now we get like 4 a summer.

I can get spidey and green lantern tshirts for 10 dollars at target instead of 25 from the comic store.

Not to mention the graphic novel sections in my libraries now are huge. Remember when all that was there was a few garfield and how to draw books and maybe a book on the history of comic books? Now there are whole sections in Adult and Teen and Childrens areas with nothing but comics from the golden age to modern. Superhero, Indy, everything...its awesome.

We are just having fun debating the question the OP posted.

:applause:

Red Robin as well!

Batman has been so-so, and Detective after the bat-woman krap has been a good read also. To say that the titles are spoon.. No, not even close.

Avengers JRJR has quite possibly the worst art I have ever seen. Just terrible, makes the book garbage.

hm

And I am on the verge of buying a PS3 just for the DCU game. Best looking game I have ever seen. (Marvel vs. Capcom).. No thanks.

So your saying DC is winning the media wars because you think Batman and Robin,as well as Red Robin are good reads? So you pick two titles out of the 52 reboots,and then crown DC as having superior stories?

hm

btw I didn`t say Marvel was putting out better books or videogames. I was answering that Marvel is winning the media wars due to Marvel putting out more popular video games and movies. Key word here is popular, no one said better or best. POPULAR. :)

Now with the DC Universe game it is has potential to be great,but so far that greatness hasn`t showed yet.

Red Robin as well!

hm

So your saying DC is winning the media wars because you think Batman and Robin,as well as Red Robin are good reads? So you pick two titles out of the 52 reboots,and then crown DC as having superior stories?

hm

btw I didn`t say Marvel was putting out better books or videogames. I was answering that Marvel is winning the media wars due to Marvel putting out more popular video games and movies. Key word here is popular, no one said better or best. POPULAR. :)

Now with the DC Universe game it is has potential to be great,but so far that greatness hasn`t showed yet.

That was my response to you being disappointed in supes and bats' books. :baiting: