• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOS#39

3 posts in this topic

I see a recent auction for this issue, CGC 7.0, closed at under $2,200 which I think is a steal for such a key and fairly scarce issue in that grade relative to others in that era. Actually I think the reserve was even set at below $2,000 which really surprised me. I didn't bother bidding on it as I wasn't prepared to spend more than $2,200 and I thought I would be wasting my time as I expected this to push $3,000. The seller even commented that two recent sales for 7.5 issues fetched $3,600. I believe one of them was a Dallas Stephens one which was sold through EBay by Mile High.

I find buyers in general, including myself are becoming more picky (wiser) and patient as there seems to be more and more product coming on stream. Any thoughts?

I am also watching some other items on EBay just to see if the market is softening a bit. There is an Avengers #4 CGC 6.5 that has about a day left and its current bid is only sitting at $250. I know that typically there is a last minute bidding frenzy on hot items and that's what I expected with the TOS #39 but it didn't materialize.

I see a recent auction for this issue, CGC 7.0, closed at under $2,200 which I think is a steal for such a key and fairly scarce issue in that grade relative to others in that era. Actually I think the reserve was even set at below $2,000 which really surprised me. I didn't bother bidding on it as I wasn't prepared to spend more than $2,200 and I thought I would be wasting my time as I expected this to push $3,000. The seller even commented that two recent sales for 7.5 issues fetched $3,600. I believe one of them was a Dallas Stephens one which was sold through EBay by Mile High.

Huh?

I don't think $2,200 is a steal for that book. Remember 7.0 is FN/VF.

The last 7.0 to sell was in August 2003 for $1,600.

Also, TOS #39 is (IMO) one of the easier Key Marvel books to find.

Regarding Marvel Keys, they WERE SMOKING in January and February this year, but have cooled off a little in the past month or two.

JIM #83 in 8.0 were selling for $6,250 but last week one didn't meet reserve at around a thousand dollars less than that. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Probably the only other cheaper key-first issue Marvel title from that era that comes to mind is Avengers #1. TOS #39 is one of my all time favorites and if I could have got one at $1,600 I would have jumped at it. I still think that over the long haul at $2,100 its a good buy especially given that the 7.5 is going for $1,500 more. You could pick up that Avengers #1 issue with the savings. I didn't think TOS#39 at a 7.0 grade and above was readily available but maybe I'm wrong?

I think your right about the January, February buying frenzy as I don't see the same activity lately. Maybe the release of the Spiderman movie next month will pump things up again. popcorn.gif