• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cap 109 NM- 9.2 with interior pen writing

5 posts in this topic

The interior cover has a name in pen as well as a full address. Only a very slight amount has bled through to the front as seen in this scan. This would be a very nice submission otherwise. Curious how people grade this and how they think CGC would grade. Would they grade it as if it had no pen marks and then put on a note or would they downgrade and then note the marks? Thanks in advance

Ed

cap109.jpg

cap109bc.jpg

Anyone know how CGC downgrades for interior pen writing? I would personally grade a high-grade book without considering the writing and note it, but below VF or so I don't think it matters much.

The interior cover has a name in pen as well as a full address. Only a very slight amount has bled through to the front as seen in this scan. This would be a very nice submission otherwise. Curious how people grade this and how they think CGC would grade. Would they grade it as if it had no pen marks and then put on a note or would they downgrade and then note the marks? Thanks in advance

Ed

I would grade first as if there was no writing, then factor the writing in. This book looks maybe VF/NM, not counting the writing. With writing, you have to figure the severity, just like any other defect. Does it leave surface impressions? Does it cover a large area, like maybe 3" long by 1/2" high? It it really obviously placed, or do you have to look for it? And of course the bleed through is a big factor.

The bleed is essentially a stain on the cover, affecting eye appeal. I would probably grade this book VF.

VF 7.5.

The ink writings DOES get a comic book downgraded.

Slightly miswrapped too. Sufffing and some dirt on back cover. Unsure of bottom staple area - might be a little loose. Was not properly bagged/boarded and stored. That is how most of the comics get the dirt and scuffings.

CAL hi.gif

I would say it depends on how the writing looks. There are quite a few pedigree collections that have writing on them and are not down graded because of this. And of course are you forgetting about the famous Marvel comics 1 that had writing everywhere and was given a high grade? 893whatthe.gif