• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Im hating this hobby right now!

52 posts in this topic

i have been trying to save up for one book ... avengers #4 .... I was thinking I could find & pick one up at emerald city comic con in person but I think the movie will be out by then & the trailer has already been released so I think I am doomed at getting one with what I think is nice eye appeal

Yeah, but it's gotta be better than not seeing books for weeks at a time...it's fun to take a hard look at lots of nice stuff and then set your priorities, isn't it? Frustrating, too, but hey -- another book will come around soon enough.

Dan

It's a constant conveyor belt of tremendous books. Amazed half the time at the way the market continually absorbs them.

Me too,

who really is buying all this stuff?

Collectors or shill bidders, re flipping, :juggle:

Your mileage may vary according to venue and collection provenance . Either way, the impression given is that the market can bear the amount of books made extant in such auctions.

What bothers me is that I have to save X amount of dollars for a key book to fill in a hole. In the meantime lots of other stuff is popping up on here and I have to control myself not to hit the :takeit: and use up that cash in a few seconds. There has been a ton of stuff on here the last month that I would have liked to buy,..... but. :taptaptap:

DR.X

What bothers me is that I have to save X amount of dollars for a key book to fill in a hole. In the meantime lots of other stuff is popping up on here and I have to control myself not to hit the :takeit: and use up that cash in a few seconds. There has been a ton of stuff on here the last month that I would have liked to buy,..... but. :taptaptap:

DR.X

Amen! Staying focused can really suck sometimes. :frustrated:

DR.X

It does suck, especially with guy's like Cheetah selling all kinds of beautiful books.

DR.X

DR.X

It does suck, especially with guy's like Cheetah selling all kinds of beautiful books.

DR.X

:pullhair:

DR.X

For me its always stuff pops in when I am in a bad spot or broke or already spent my cash & then BAM it all hits at once

DR.X

"focus" is way overrated..... meh

DR.X

For me its always stuff pops in when I am in a bad spot or broke or already spent my cash & then BAM it all hits at once

Yup same here, it always seems to fall like that.

Someone is buying all of these books.

On the other hand, the vast majority of the market....well over 99%...is ignored (low grade Silver-up, off-brand Gold, off-brand Silver in any grade but "uber high", almost everything Bronze and up.)

If you're not after super books, this is a WONDERFUL time to be buying.

You can get 9.8 almost anything 1980-up for less than the slab cost these days.

Someone this is a WONDERFUL time to be buying.

I should switch my buying methods or look for other books..I have never bought a book for less the price of what the slab would be..

I should switch my buying methods or look for other books..I have never bought a book for less the price of what the slab would be..

There are literally thousands of books that have sold for less than it cost to slab them.

:whee:

The laws of economics state that this cannot continue forever.

But 'em while you can!

There are literally thousands of books that have sold for less than it cost to slab them.

:whee:

The laws of economics state that this cannot continue forever.

But 'em while you can!

Don't you have work tomorrow or something? (shrug)

I didn't think you "old" people stay up this late. ;)

Someone is buying all of these books.

On the other hand, the vast majority of the market....well over 99%...is ignored (low grade Silver-up, off-brand Gold, off-brand Silver in any grade but "uber high", almost everything Bronze and up.)

If you're not after super books, this is a WONDERFUL time to be buying.

Every time I see these types of hyperbolic posts, I shake my head.

I know there aren't a lot of low and mid grade collectors on these boards, but trust me, this segment of the market remains robust on ebay and other venues.

way too many great books all coming up for auction all @ the same time recently and in the near future

not enough funds!

this hobby has become way too expensive :P

We must ask ourselves

why are all these great books coming up for auction and

if they’re so great why are they being sold.

hm

I just can't devote the time with a 6 week old baby, and a 2 1/2 yr old. The last few auction I watched, the books went insane. I have watched similar books on ebay go for less. It may be awhile before I become active in the monthly auctions again.

[/quote=The Resurrection]

My sentiments exactly Pat. Our eldest son Brody is three in November and our youngest son Cooper is six months. I just bought one book via Reese (Jim #116) from his new sweet batch of books on Tuesday and the last one prior to that was over two months ago.

I just can't find the time right now. And when I do find the time, I pretty much need to stare at my eyelids. I'm extremely content where I am in my collecting, so truthfully, I don't miss surfing, stalking and buying my funny books. My Munchkins are only this age once. And as I'm sure many would agree it's a such a fun, sweet and innocent age.

Your a good Father Pat.

way too many great books all coming up for auction all @ the same time recently and in the near future

not enough funds!

We must ask ourselves

why are all these great books coming up for auction and

if they’re so great why are they being sold.

hm

Good question. It's a seller's market like never before (at the high end), whilst the online auction houses that now dominate that market are keen to exert their presence in it and increase turnover. Clearly consignors feel that now is the time to maximize and cash out on their investments, and feel that prices can't continue to rise much further in what is essentially a bubble. Add more recently unearthed tranches of super high grade books that need to be absorbed into the market (cause if they don't, it'll breed loss of confidence) and.....

not enough funds!

For us as collectors is pretty good that so many books are coming to the market. We have a lot of choice, the competition is very low and the prices are realy great. I definetely think that currently it is a buyers market and the buyers command the price of the books 2c